visa for canada...emj_08, process from start to finish

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
You should write about your case to your local newspaper.

When the media picks up things like this, it seems to magically make the process much quicker :cheeky:

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
I'm heartbroken for you!....How can airline tickets, stamps in your passport not be any proof??? I don't get those people! Again, I feel like I'm going through my case all over again....WE ARE WITH YOU!!!

BooGirl

Oct 25, 2008
Hun, sorry about that. I just heard. What more does the government want from us???
Boogirl

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Do you really want to live in a country that does this to its Citizens?
As far as I can see - this is Canada's loss.
Shame on them.
You will win eventually and it will be all the more sweet when you do.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
emj_08

We are so sorry to read the news from Haiti. We know you will keep trying. Our government is shutting the door on so many these days, and so unfairly. Our hearts go out to you,,

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I suggest NOBODY apply under common-law. It is a bogus category that is impossible to prove when dealing with the DR.

first i really sorry for you but I don t think your suggestion is good because i do it under the common-law and my boyfriend got his visa without any question and interview.

but I suggest everybody who apply this way to have prove of common life like bail, letter/bill receiving at the same adress,any paper you have with both your name, same account bank or anything that show that you living at the same adress for more than a year.because you are not married you can just give your entry date in the passport because yes that prouve you was in the country but that not say for how long you live with your boyfriend.

when you get married your certificate is what is prove the most your relation and letter of family/friend, picture,passport,phone call etc ...is what is support that. so letter , picture ,passport, phone call etc is the support thing also in the common law partner you have the prove with legal or external prove that you living together at the same adress more than a year.
if you have anything like that get married if not you will propably have the same problem .

again really sorry and if i can give some help for your appel send me a PM

Reactions: AnnaC and alicious

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
Caro, and others, I don't think you quite understand the perfection of my application. Caro everything u suggest, i submitted.
- A rent receipt for every month we lived together with both our names on it
- a letter from the bank confirming joint bank account.. both names
- we had two landlords - testimonials from both confirming we were tenants, plus their contact info
- testimonials from my boss, his boss, my entire family, all contact info and signatures
- all passport stamps and airline documents to show i visted twice since leaving
- photos of christmases, birthdays, parties, at work, at home, on trips, doing everything together, me with his family, him with my family.. etc
- emails and phone bills to account for every month we have been apart.

Please understand my frustration is that in my denial letter it says ALL of these documents COULD have been written by anyone at anytime, and therefore are no good. This system is assuming we are frauds, and to top it all off - they never called a single person who gave testimonial. every phone number was provided. they called NOBODY to check facts.

I was able to provide so much documentation because we REALLY DID live together, and have continued the relationship since. But because technically anyone could have written my rent receipts (and there was no official lease) all the supporting documents are like null and void. Immigration doesn't quite understand the poverty of the DR. A lease? That's a joke. We saw an apartment, moved in the same day, and got a flimsy receipt each month only because we asked.

Another reason they stated for denial is that he answered a question wrong at the interview. Not my eye-colour or fav food, not my mothers name... oh no... they asked him about MY working visa for the DR, which expired and we almost never talked about. So he answered at the interview that my visa expired, but he gave the wrong month of expiry. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? he answered a technical question slightly wrong, about an irrelevant document that has nothing to do with him... and they use that as a reason for denial. like we are frauds because he didn't know which month it expired... give me a break....

Anyways I hope people understand that we did this the RIGHT way and couldn't have been more legit. My government has broken the hearts of my entire family, and wasted years of my youth just to tell me I CANT be with the person I love. Who is just a simple, honest man who wants a family. Please note that you can see my posts go back VERY far when we weren't that serious, when I didn't know much about the process, and when I was just talking about moving down there.

I think I can win an appeal for all the reasons stated above. Being my own witness will do the trick, once I can be there in person and explain all those things.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Caro, emj 08,

I'm not sure but I seem to recall that caro has a child....I think that's the big difference between your cases.....Having a child or being pregnant during the process might not require an interview or extra stuff...

So emj,

If you were married or pregnant I guess that would have done the trick.

coco55

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 25, 2009
i think youre right mbg cause some husbands were told that the agent would have give the visa right away if his wife have been pregnant!!! its seem to be the solution but with all this stress.... its not easy.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Yep,

My husband was told the same thing...And part of his reply was what you said...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
emj

did you include your canadian tax assessments showing that you were earning foreign income while you were away?

that would be solid proof to show at your appeal hearing

good luck with the next steps

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Emj,

I'm truly sorrry to hear about your denial.

You need to stay positive, as someone who has been where you were....and we are still together and still finishing all of the final step to hopefully finally get our visa (3 1/2 years later) I know how you feel. Although I didn't move to the DR, we still had/have a legit relationship....you shouldn't look at your time spent with him as a waste??? that was your decision to go and move down there how was it a waste of time you were still together ( that is good time together)????

Just be careful now with your next step with this process.....if you go and get married...they will question why no family or friend are there with you. An appeal hearing is also no gtd. they dont really care about your side of the story but the question is with your husband and his feelings.

When I was denied back in 2007. I really didnt know what to do....so I hired a lawyer and appealed. It took about 5 months for the HDR hearing. The officer still didnt believe are relationship (she believed me but not my husband). So after that hearing my next step was to wait for a hearing, which would take 12-24 months to get a date.......thought about it for a month....then i realized it would be faster to reapply, so here I am still waiting.

I think you should maybe see a lawyer or a immigration consultant, for some help...just a thought.

If you have any questions...you can send me a PM
DD
Stay strong!!!

caro

Sep 24, 2003
yes we have a child but we have a official lease at both name, cable bill at my name and phone bill at his name at the same adress, bill of credit card or other letter a receive at the same adress and more.

what i try to say it s when you make your application on common-law partner you need to have official paper to show you ahave been living together for more than 12 month. this prove are egual at the certificate of marriage.
try to send all your prove without the certificate of marriage even if everyone tell us you are married for see if you will not have problem.

emj08, I don t say that because I don t believe you but why maybe you have some problem and was denied. you are right when you say that maybe you have more prove that other couple who get married after few visit but they have us a legal paper.

why never ask your appart owner for a official lease because you needed for immigration purpose? maybe telling her you will pay all the fee for this paper, maybe she will not have laughing at you but helping you.

again I feel your frustration and hope everything get right for you and your boyfriend.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Having a child is no guarantee of visa so I hope no one thinks that's the sure way to go. I know people that have a child together yet are well over a year in the process and still nada. And being married is no guarantee.

EMJ showing passport stamps of two visits since you left the DR is not proof that you lived together for a year or that you were in the country when you say you were which would be after March 2006 when you posted looking for a job till sometime in 2007.

What you need and I don't know why it's so hard is your passport stamp of when you re-entered the DR in 2006 and when you left in 2007. And if your landlady with her grade 3 education can write you out receipts for all that time why couldn't you have asked for a lease especially knowing that you needed it for proving common law relationship.

I'm sorry you are going through this but please don't insult people by saying that their marriage is bogus. Insulting other people does not help your case in any way.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi AnnaC,

I see your point. I also think that EMJ is very upset for the moment, w/good reason)...I don't know her but I don't think she meant all marriages are bogus...I believer she probably meant that some are.... And it is true..if it wasn't for the (many) relationships that turned out to be bogus once in Canada...the Immigration wouldn't be so hard on us...

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
I think after the minister of Immigration's declaration, things started getting complicated...He clearly asked Canadian representatives abroad to make harder for foreigner to come to Canada...

cathay

*** Sin Bin ***
Oct 13, 2008
MBG,

Can you direct me to where you saw that the Immigration Minister asked his Immigration Agents to make it harder for people to emmigrate?

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Cathay,
My mom heard it on TV late April or early May. I guess if we google him we can find it...Also somebody posted an article similar to that..I can't remember who....I'll look it up and let you know.

cathay

*** Sin Bin ***
Oct 13, 2008
MBG
I would really appreciate that. Trying to figure out what is happening politically is important to me and my husband. Have you checked out what is happening in Honduras lately, just out of curiousity?