Visa or residency to Spain

gallego

Feb 22, 2008
Hello, I would like to ask if someone can help me.
I married my girlfriend from many years in half of july and started all the paperwork which has been deposited some time later to get the Visa to come to Spain. Yesterday she got a phone call from the Spanish ambassy to collect all the papers and send them to me in Spain because I have to do the application for the Visa in Spain. They said that because I am not a spanish citizen but a resident, from an other european country living in Spain. Is this correct and has the sytem changed then lately? The documents have been sitting there for more then 10 weeks in the ambassy. Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi and welcome to DR1.
I take it that you are referring to the Spanish Embassy in Santo Domingo and your wife lives in the Dominican Republic?

gallego

Feb 22, 2008
Reply to AnnaC

Indeed my wife is living in the Dr and I am resident in Spain and we delivered the documents in spanish ambassy in St Domingo.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
gallego
if you are an european living in spain!
in that case you need to make them apply the law.
she normally need to get a 6 month visa for spain as the spouse of eea member and then from spain she can apply for a residency.
im a french living in england and married to a dominican and that the way my husband got his visa and this law is valid for any european living in another european country.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What dalila05 says seems to be correct, at least it was in 2005. When 5 years ago my dominican wife and I wanted to come to Europe we considered moving to Germany or Belgium instead of Holland (my country) while to go to Holland the dutch immigration laws apply (which are kind of strict) and when moving to any other member of the EU the law that applies is a European one that states that any citizen of the European Union can live whereever he or she wants within the Union on a special residence for EU citizen. The spouse of this EU citizen, no matter her or his nationality can get the same residence without any conditions. At the end we didn't use the 'Belgian route' as it is called over here, but it seems to be a valid and legal option.

gr. Mauricio

gallego

Feb 22, 2008
Yes but it seems now that I have to apply for Visa in Spain, Malaga. Before it was at the ambassy in the DR but now I have to do it by the extranjeria in Spain and the will connect to the ambassy in Santo Domingo. I just lost 10 weeks time because the documents were sitting there. The administration seems to work perfectly.