WAIT LIST for Starlink in Las Terrenas! what?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You should investigate limits of data. I was told by Delancer that they throddle the speed after data caps which if you stream a lot might be easily reached
Lol, ask the competition what they think...... like asking Chevy why Ford is better...... lol....

Reactions: Bred

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Is it not pretty standard with most companies to lower the speed after data caps?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
and most interesting one is this page Starlink Fair use policy

if you notice regular data cap is 400GB (0.4TB)
Tried to check your statement, couldn't find it. Can you please make a screenshot and post it here.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Tried to check your statement, couldn't find it. Can you please make a screenshot and post it here.

Starlink’s Fair Use Policy describes how we manage our network traffic and assign customer data based on the Service Plan.​

REASONABLE NETWORK MANAGEMENT​

• Balancing Supply and Demand. Starlink is a finite resource that will continue to grow as we launch additional satellites. To serve the greatest number of people with high speed internet, we must manage the network to balance Starlink supply with user demand, which is impacted by such factors as service location and usage time.
  • Traffic Neutrality. We treat internet traffic equally, without discrimination based on content, sender, application or service. Network management practices are deployed based on technical requirements for specific categories of traffic. These practices are applied in an “application-agnostic” manner, meaning that the treatment of traffic is independent of the content data.
  • Network Integrity. We reserve the right to take additional network management measures as necessary to (1) comply with applicable laws, (2) preserve the integrity and security of the network, including but not limited to, analyzing traffic patterns to optimize Services and prevent the distribution of viruses or other malicious code, and (3) prevent or mitigate network congestion on the Services, including reducing speeds for some or all users.
  • Distributing Data Based on Service Plan. We seek to distribute data among our users in a fair and equitable manner by (1) implementing network management policies when the demand for network resources actually exceeds supply, and (2) allowing users to choose among Service Plans at various price points depending on how much prioritized Service is right for their needs
  • FIXED SERVICES​

• Standard Service Plan. The Standard Service Plan assigns an unlimited amount of “Standard” data each month to customers. The Standard Service Plan is designed for personal, family, or household use. See the Starlink Specifications for details on the expected performance per Service Plan. Starlink seeks to distribute Standard data among our users in a fair and equitable manner. If bandwidth patterns consistently exceed what is allocated to a typical residential user, Starlink may take network management measures, such as temporarily reducing a customer’s speeds, to prevent or mitigate congestion of the Services. Bandwidth intensive applications, such as streaming videos, gaming, or downloading large files are most likely to be impacted by such actions. Standard Service Plan customers with high bandwidth needs should consider upgrading to a Priority Service Plan. See the Terms of Service and the FAQs for more details.
      • STANDARD SERVICE PLAN​

Data Amount & TypeUnlimited, Standard Data
        Price for Additional Priority DataUnavailable, Must Upgrade to Priority Plans
      • Priority Service Plans. The Priority Service Plans assign a set amount of “Priority” data to customers each month. Priority Service Plans are designed for high demand users, such as those with business, government or institutional needs. Priority data is given network precedence over Standard and Mobile data, meaning users will experience faster and more consistent download and upload speeds. See Starlink Specifications for details on the expected performance per Service Plan. Customers who exhaust and have not purchased additional Priority data will be allocated an unlimited amount of Standard data for the remainder of the month. Customers with Standard data will experience slower speeds and reduced performance compared to customers with Priority data and bandwidth intensive applications, such as hosting video conferencing, large file downloads, or supporting a high volume of users simultaneously, are most likely to be impacted. See the Terms of Service and the FAQs for more details.
      • TRACKING DATA USE & PURCHASING MORE​

• Eligible customers can track their monthly data usage and purchase additional Priority or Mobile Priority data at any time via the Starlink App and on the Starlink Customer Portal by opting into being automatically charged for more Priority or Mobile Priority data once they hit the limit under their Service Plan. Once a customer opts-in, they will be automatically billed for additional GB used until they opt-out. Excess data usage per month will also be displayed on a customer’s monthly invoice. Additional details on Priority or Mobile Priority data fees and billing can found in the Starlink FAQs and Terms of Service.

SPEEDS AND PERFORMANCE​

See Starlink Specifications for details on Starlink expected performance data per Service Plan. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of Services are not guaranteed. Actual speeds may be lower during times of high usage. Starlink may temporarily reduce speeds if our network is congested.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
i guess i didn't clean my glasses the other day it is saying 40G not 400G
We are talking here about standard service plans. Don't try to cheat, please. 99 percent of people who use Starlink here are on Standard plan. I see it says unlimited data. Where do you see 40 or 400 GB?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua

Starlink’s Fair Use Policy describes how we manage our network traffic and assign customer data based on the Service Plan.​

REASONABLE NETWORK MANAGEMENT​

• Balancing Supply and Demand. Starlink is a finite resource that will continue to grow as we launch additional satellites. To serve the greatest number of people with high speed internet, we must manage the network to balance Starlink supply with user demand, which is impacted by such factors as service location and usage time.
  • Traffic Neutrality. We treat internet traffic equally, without discrimination based on content, sender, application or service. Network management practices are deployed based on technical requirements for specific categories of traffic. These practices are applied in an “application-agnostic” manner, meaning that the treatment of traffic is independent of the content data.
  • Network Integrity. We reserve the right to take additional network management measures as necessary to (1) comply with applicable laws, (2) preserve the integrity and security of the network, including but not limited to, analyzing traffic patterns to optimize Services and prevent the distribution of viruses or other malicious code, and (3) prevent or mitigate network congestion on the Services, including reducing speeds for some or all users.
  • Distributing Data Based on Service Plan. We seek to distribute data among our users in a fair and equitable manner by (1) implementing network management policies when the demand for network resources actually exceeds supply, and (2) allowing users to choose among Service Plans at various price points depending on how much prioritized Service is right for their needs
  • FIXED SERVICES​

• Standard Service Plan. The Standard Service Plan assigns an unlimited amount of “Standard” data each month to customers. The Standard Service Plan is designed for personal, family, or household use. See the Starlink Specifications for details on the expected performance per Service Plan. Starlink seeks to distribute Standard data among our users in a fair and equitable manner. If bandwidth patterns consistently exceed what is allocated to a typical residential user, Starlink may take network management measures, such as temporarily reducing a customer’s speeds, to prevent or mitigate congestion of the Services. Bandwidth intensive applications, such as streaming videos, gaming, or downloading large files are most likely to be impacted by such actions. Standard Service Plan customers with high bandwidth needs should consider upgrading to a Priority Service Plan. See the Terms of Service and the FAQs for more details.
      • STANDARD SERVICE PLAN​

Data Amount & TypeUnlimited, Standard Data
        Price for Additional Priority DataUnavailable, Must Upgrade to Priority Plans
      • Priority Service Plans. The Priority Service Plans assign a set amount of “Priority” data to customers each month. Priority Service Plans are designed for high demand users, such as those with business, government or institutional needs. Priority data is given network precedence over Standard and Mobile data, meaning users will experience faster and more consistent download and upload speeds. See Starlink Specifications for details on the expected performance per Service Plan. Customers who exhaust and have not purchased additional Priority data will be allocated an unlimited amount of Standard data for the remainder of the month. Customers with Standard data will experience slower speeds and reduced performance compared to customers with Priority data and bandwidth intensive applications, such as hosting video conferencing, large file downloads, or supporting a high volume of users simultaneously, are most likely to be impacted. See the Terms of Service and the FAQs for more details.
      • TRACKING DATA USE & PURCHASING MORE​

• Eligible customers can track their monthly data usage and purchase additional Priority or Mobile Priority data at any time via the Starlink App and on the Starlink Customer Portal by opting into being automatically charged for more Priority or Mobile Priority data once they hit the limit under their Service Plan. Once a customer opts-in, they will be automatically billed for additional GB used until they opt-out. Excess data usage per month will also be displayed on a customer’s monthly invoice. Additional details on Priority or Mobile Priority data fees and billing can found in the Starlink FAQs and Terms of Service.

SPEEDS AND PERFORMANCE​

See Starlink Specifications for details on Starlink expected performance data per Service Plan. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of Services are not guaranteed. Actual speeds may be lower during times of high usage. Starlink may temporarily reduce speeds if our network is congested.
We all can read. Why did you copy here the whole page? I saw that before posting my question for De Lancer guy. He said - regular data cap is 400 GB. We are not interested in priority plans. Regular plans in your quote above say - unlimited.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We all can read. Why did you copy here the whole page? I saw that before posting my question for De Lancer guy. He said - regular data cap is 400 GB. We are not interested in priority plans. Regular plans in your quote above say - unlimited.
Read your post # 24. You asked for it. I'd go back and delete it but you decided to copy the whole thing again.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We are talking here about standard service plans. Don't try to cheat, please. 99 percent of people who use Starlink here are on Standard plan. I see it says unlimited data. Where do you see 40 or 400 GB?
It's all here as well: https://www.starlink.com/legal/documents/DOC-1469-65206-75

Unlimited data for standard plan yes, but if you see the fair use policy, it says that if you use a lot of data, your usage might get limited by Starlink and in general, the speeds are subject to availability with other users in your area. With those mentioned data caps that can be purchased, you get priority treatment for your data for that amount.

I just recently had to research the Viva operator in the DR, who also promotes "unlimited data" for mobile connections, and indeed, what they don't put into the promotion that this "unlimited" data is only valid for the first few GBs, then you get lower speeds, which are useless. For that reason with anything internet connection related, I always read all small prints pretty well...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
It's all here as well: https://www.starlink.com/legal/documents/DOC-1469-65206-75

Unlimited data for standard plan yes, but if you see the fair use policy, it says that if you use a lot of data, your usage might get limited by Starlink and in general, the speeds are subject to availability with other users in your area. With those mentioned data caps that can be purchased, you get priority treatment for your data for that amount.

I just recently had to research the Viva operator in the DR, who also promotes "unlimited data" for mobile connections, and indeed, what they don't put into the promotion that this "unlimited" data is only valid for the first few GBs, then you get lower speeds, which are useless. For that reason with anything internet connection related, I always read all small prints pretty well...
Did you see anywhere it says 40 or 400 GB data cap DeLancer guy was referring to? That was my question.
Anyone on Standard Starlink plan in Dominican Republic experienced reduction of speed after consuming too much data? None that I heard of. Does Delancer have data cap? Yes. 3TB as per their web site. So, if you are planning to have one contract for a hotel or condominium those plans are not for you. You will need to pay them 22.000 Pesos a month for 220 Mbit/s of download speed. For Starlink for same speed or higher you would pay 2.900 Pesos. Yes, Starlink upload speed is 20 Mbit at best, but most people need download speed which can reach 300+ Mbit/s here on the North Coast.

Claro, DeLancer and Cable del Norte - all dropped their prices or increased the speed for clients because of Starlink. Competition is always a good thing.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Did you see anywhere it says 40 or 400 GB data cap DeLancer guy was referring to? That was my question.
Anyone on Standard Starlink plan in Dominican Republic experienced reduction of speed after consuming too much data? None that I heard of. Does Delancer have data cap? Yes. 3TB as per their web site. So, if you are planning to have one contract for a hotel or condominium those plans are not for you. You will need to pay them 22.000 Pesos a month for 220 Mbit/s of download speed. For Starlink for same speed or higher you would pay 2.900 Pesos. Yes, Starlink upload speed is 20 Mbit at best, but most people need download speed which can reach 300+ Mbit/s here on the North Coast.

Claro, DeLancer and Cable del Norte - all dropped their prices or increased the speed for clients because of Starlink. Competition is always a good thing.
Go the linked website and search for "
Data Amount & Type40GB, Priority Data
under

PRIORITY SERVICE PLANS​

I don't know how to attach photos here.

So as far as I can tell this is not something you need to buy, but that is, again as far as I can tell, what was referred to.

Also, the question is not consuming too much data, you have indeed unlimited data at your disposal, the question is HOW you consume it. If they detect a peak in consumption that is continuous, they can limit your speed, not the amount of data...

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
In the big scheme of things, even 400 GB won't last you very long.

You can say that again. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be getting 300 Mbps from an Altice connection.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Go the linked website and search for "
Data Amount & Type40GB, Priority Data
under

PRIORITY SERVICE PLANS​

I don't know how to attach photos here.

So as far as I can tell this is not something you need to buy, but that is, again as far as I can tell, what was referred to.

Also, the question is not consuming too much data, you have indeed unlimited data at your disposal, the question is HOW you consume it. If they detect a peak in consumption that is continuous, they can limit your speed, not the amount of data...
I posted it on post 28.

Reactions: josh2203

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
In the big scheme of things, even 400 GB won't last you very long.
Correct, if you work remotely and then other family members use the connection for streaming/gaming etc, 400 GB is nothing... We're close to 1 TB every month...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Why you keep posting quotes for "PRIORITY PLAN" for 10.000 Pesos if I asked for a standard for 2.900 Pesos? Standard plans have 0 (ZERO) data cap.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Why you keep posting quotes for "PRIORITY PLAN" for 10.000 Pesos if I asked for a standard for 2.900 Pesos? Standard plans have 0 (ZERO) data cap.
Because you asked where this 400GB comes from, but I believe originally this figure was referenced by mistake or misunderstanding by delancer guy. You are absolutely right, standard plan without any priority has no data cap, just the fair use policy.