Walmart, JC Penny, Target, Home Depot and Sears

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Heard It ALL Before!!!

By the end od this year??? NEVER. Next year? I STILL doubt it! The Government here will always make doing business in the DR VERY difficult for "OUTSIDERS",as well as "Locals"!
The mentality is to "TAX" the country into prosperity!
They just want more taxes so they can steal more for themselves> I just don't see "Big Box Stores" from the US coming here any time soon!
Like I said, "I heard it all before"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Drug Stores?

Another interesting aspect of the 'Wal-Mart is coming' speculation is the future of farmacias - drug stores.

* Where I live, POP, it seens as though there are 2 - 3 drug stores every 2 blocks. All very small.
* All have prices that would make American robber barons blush. I think that DRs pay 50% - 400% more than Americans for prescription & non-prescirption drugs, etc.
* PriceSmart is no better. Why? Price fixing? Cartels?
* I suspect that when Wal-Mart, Target, etc. open their doors & sell normal medications, the drug, etc. prices will be 200% less than the average drug store.
* Who will benefit? The consumer; esp. poor DRs. 1 Expat's opinions. My prediction? 50 - 75% of the drug stores w/i 10 miles of Wal-Mart, etc. will be forced to close.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Another interesting aspect of the 'Wal-Mart is coming' speculation is the future of farmacias - drug stores.

* Where I live, POP, it seens as though there are 2 - 3 drug stores every 2 blocks. All very small.
* All have prices that would make American robber barons blush. I think that DRs pay 50% - 400% more than Americans for prescription & non-prescirption drugs, etc.
* PriceSmart is no better. Why? Price fixing? Cartels?
* I suspect that when Wal-Mart, Target, etc. open their doors & sell normal medications, the drug, etc. prices will be 200% less than the average drug store.
* Who will benefit? The consumer; esp. poor DRs. 1 Expat's opinions. My prediction? 50 - 75% of the drug stores w/i 10 miles of Wal-Mart, etc. will be forced to close.

Not gonna happen. All those little stores are for poor people who don't have cars, (to go to WalMart) people who live hand to mouth and buy one meal at a time, one cigarette at a time, one diaper at a time.

Walmart (if it comes here) is not going to put them out of business, it will more likely end up supplying them. also, Walmart will have to pay Dominican taxes and all these little stores that do their acounting on torn corners of butchers paper have much more opportunity to skim (and less risk)