Warning to Playero customers using credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
rhanson

well , so much for good intentions !!
this happens frequently enough on good old DR1.... nice guys finish last.!!
haha
in spite of the climate , not all the DR people have sunny dispositions.
You have attracted the ire a famous one -- once banned and re-admitted under an alias

Your post was meant to advise - accepted by many of us - thank you
The Playero owners used to read this forum but may have stopped - for reasons you might understand....
too many experts giving advice !! hahaha

The US bank rules (as I understand them ) allow foreign accounts less than $10,000US
should you reconsider an RD bank account.

good luck

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
OP interesting post...for those of us that do use our cc makes you stop and think how the possible "extra charges" add up over time. Sometimes it is not just about the money (peso here, peso there) it is the principal. Also some of us do use our (foreign) cc here in the DR for many reasons, miles, points, etc..

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Really there are two issues here and most seem to be focusing on just one, the money issue.

1) You received really lousy customer service - as a customer I would be more ****ed about being lied to than having to pay a new $ conversion fee. Did you ask the employee why she would know about the back office dealings with payment processors, but didn't know the name of her supervisor?
...The Playero girl explained to me that they changed their credit card processor about 6 weeks ago, so clearly that is the reason why the use of a credit card in their store has suddenly become so expensive. And perhaps Playero gets a kickback on this excessive charge – I don’t know.

I spoke to a girl by the name of Maxiel and tried to explain to her that Playero would lose business from me as well as other customers if this continues. The predictable Dominican response was just a shrug. So then I asked to speak with her jefe or somebody in charge, thinking that perhaps someone with more authority might have some concern about losing business and could do something about this. Maxiel told me that her jefe was not in the store. So I asked when he would be in the store, and again she just shrugged and said she had no idea. So then I asked for the name of her jefe, and she said she didn’t know that either....

2) It would be entirely speculation on my part to make any comments on why Playero's exchange rate was higher than other stores so I will not address that.

However I do want to point out that, for the merchant, processing fees are based on the type of card the customer uses. For example, a card tied to frequent flyer points or some other bonus have a higher fee to the merchant than just a standard card. It's not just a simple percentage as some have indicated. As a merchant I have the choice to not accept credit cards at all because of the exorbitant fees charged to me by the bank's factors, but I can't refuse to accept a specific Visa card because of the fees associated with it.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Really there are two issues here and most seem to be focusing on just one, the money issue.

1) You received really lousy customer service - as a customer I would be more ****ed about being lied to than having to pay a new $ conversion fee. Did you ask the employee why she would know about the back office dealings with payment processors, but didn't know the name of her supervisor?

2) It would be entirely speculation on my part to make any comments on why Playero's exchange rate was higher than other stores so I will not address that.

However I do want to point out that, for the merchant, processing fees are based on the type of card the customer uses. For example, a card tied to frequent flyer points or some other bonus have a higher fee to the merchant than just a standard card. It's not just a simple percentage as some have indicated. As a merchant I have the choice to not accept credit cards at all because of the exorbitant fees charged to me by the bank's factors, but I can't refuse to accept a specific Visa card because of the fees associated with it.

You are correct mobrouser. There are 2 issues here: the uncooperative and uncaring treatment that I received from a store employee and the terrible exchange rate that Playero recently adopted for credit card purchases. I am hesitant to call it a processing fee because exchange rate and processing fee are two entirely separate things. After explaining to me that the store began using a new credit card processor about 6 weeks ago, she refused to be responsive to any of my further questions and clearly just wanted me to leave. There was no attempt whatsoever so assuage me. And before certain members of this forum jump online to accuse me of having a belligerent and abusive attitude with the store employee, the fact of the matter is that I was cordial, friendly, smiling, nonthreatening, and talking in a low tone of voice throughout the entire encounter.

And yes, I understand that different credit cards charge different fees depending on the business. But the card that I was using was the same card that I was using at Playero before the dramatic reduction in their exchange rate. And it’s the same card that I use at Super Pola or the gas station or with other stores where I also get a normal prevailing exchange rate. I tried using a different card thinking that the problem might be with my own bank, but the Playero purchase was converted to dollars using the same dramatically reduced exchange rate.

Some merchants refuse to accept credit cards because of the fees that they are charged by the bank. I understand and accept that. And other merchants add a percentage surcharge to the bill if you use a credit card for payment. I also understand and accept that. But what I can’t understand why there is a sudden hidden change in the previous policy. Most customers probably wouldn’t even check the exchange rate on their purchases, so this is really a hidden fee that most customers would not be aware of. And that was the reason for my original post. Silly me for trying to be helpful and informative – I should have known better.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You are correct mobrouser. There are 2 issues here: the uncooperative and uncaring treatment that I received from a store employee and the terrible exchange rate that Playero recently adopted for credit card purchases. I am hesitant to call it a processing fee because exchange rate and processing fee are two entirely separate things. After explaining to me that the store began using a new credit card processor about 6 weeks ago, she refused to be responsive to any of my further questions and clearly just wanted me to leave. There was no attempt whatsoever so assuage me. And before certain members of this forum jump online to accuse me of having a belligerent and abusive attitude with the store employee, the fact of the matter is that I was cordial, friendly, smiling, nonthreatening, and talking in a low tone of voice throughout the entire encounter.

And yes, I understand that different credit cards charge different fees depending on the business. But the card that I was using was the same card that I was using at Playero before the dramatic reduction in their exchange rate. And it’s the same card that I use at Super Pola or the gas station or with other stores where I also get a normal prevailing exchange rate. I tried using a different card thinking that the problem might be with my own bank, but the Playero purchase was converted to dollars using the same dramatically reduced exchange rate.

Some merchants refuse to accept credit cards because of the fees that they are charged by the bank. I understand and accept that. And other merchants add a percentage surcharge to the bill if you use a credit card for payment. I also understand and accept that. But what I can’t understand why there is a sudden hidden change in the previous policy. Most customers probably wouldn’t even check the exchange rate on their purchases, so this is really a hidden fee that most customers would not be aware of. And that was the reason for my original post. Silly me for trying to be helpful and informative – I should have known better.

I'll tell you what, I would have started asking other employees who was the boss (and superior to the arrogant employee) and do my best to find out who they were and calmly explain to them the attitude of that person. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

People with "I don't give a crap" attitudes really burn my marshmellows.

It's nice to know about the change in fees, but I'd probably let it slide. Sometimes ya gotta pay a little more to have access to things you like.

Jan 17, 2009
What credit card was that? If a US Visa card, you can check the exchange rate that VISA will give you before you make a purchase.

Playero has nothing to do with the foreign exchange rate that VISA is offering, or any charges for foreign exchange transaction fees that your bank card may assess.

For daily foreign exchange rates (regardless of country), for US Visa (similar available for Europe), check this VISA site https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Used my Citibank Credit card at La Sirena today.
Spend 1763.99. within 10 seconds (before I even picked the bags up I got a message from Citibank that my card was charged $35.46 ( an exchange rate of 49.746) - pretty good.

I also bought some items a Jumbo (same card) and spend 669.85 and got a message that I was charged $13.46 ( an exchange rate of 49.766) - even better. So I can't complain.

I will check my next purchase receipt at Playero and if they ding me 4% or don't offer as good an exchange rate I will shop only at Super Pola (except for the French bread)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What about looking for the answer or owners on Facebook or YouTube

It's on both....

FaceBook gets a lot of their complaints and praise - I am told

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Used my Citibank Credit card at La Sirena today.
Spend 1763.99. within 10 seconds (before I even picked the bags up I got a message from Citibank that my card was charged $35.46 ( an exchange rate of 49.746) - pretty good.

I also bought some items a Jumbo (same card) and spend 669.85 and got a message that I was charged $13.46 ( an exchange rate of 49.766) - even better. So I can't complain.

I will check my next purchase receipt at Playero and if they ding me 4% or don't offer as good an exchange rate I will shop only at Super Pola (except for the French bread)

Thanks for the comparison. The exchange rates in your message agree with what I have been getting when using my credit card at La Sirena or Super Pola. Let us know what you get for an exchange rate at Playero.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Rhanson1,
Have you called you BANK to find out what Exchange rate you are supposed to be getting for that Date of purchase ?
And to ask them how this particular sale was processed ...was it Pesos at time of purchase.. or did you bank convert to pesos.
A prev poster mentioned this , not sure you responded ..
If others are getting the Right exchange rate at Playero, then the Problem is at your Bank.
Is this some kind of AWARDS CC ? which pays you back 2 % on all purchases , or gives miles .
Merchants do get charged a higher Discount Rate on those Cards ..

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Now you're really confusing everyone here. Replying to the wrong posts. BTW my handle is beeza, not breeza.

4% surcharge fo CC is very normal here. My merchant bank charges it for the use of the verifone machine. I absorb it within my business as my choice. I prefer to burden the cost of that convenience myself over my customers.

I'm sure that the profit margins on imported goods that Playero stock are minimal. Their business model is probably based on a volume of sales over higher profit margins. Playero have the best stock of imported goods to cater for foreigners for a fifty mile radius. They do a lot for the local community. They re-invest their capital and are always improving their store.

So they charge a 4% surcharge to USD CC payments, big deal. They don't with Peso plastic.

If you live here, assimilate and go with flow. Get a Dominican bank account or shop with Pesos in cash.

Your OP was a pretty scathing attack on Playero and its employees. I don't think it was warranted.

The employee had the typical sh!tty attitude prevalent in most customer service venues in the DR. It was not an attack.
I see an agenda here, perhaps??

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Rhanson1,
Have you called you BANK to find out what Exchange rate you are supposed to be getting for that Date of purchase ?
And to ask them how this particular sale was processed ...was it Pesos at time of purchase.. or did you bank convert to pesos.
If others are getting the Right exchange rate at Playero, then the Problem is at your Bank.
Is this some kind of AWARDS CC ? which pays you back 2 % on all purchases , or gives miles .
Mine is a mileage card and I posted my exchange rate above for Sirena and Jumbo

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The employee attitude is a reflection of the employer 's

Not surprising to me that the owner doesn't share his coming/going schedule with employees
Arrives by surprise.....keeps them on their toes... and isn't working.

Most situations are like that in RD

beeza/breeza
I'm in full agreement with you about Playero serving the ex-pat market -- and doing it well
I drive an hour to get there... and happily do so to get what I want.

I see rhanson's point.....but it affects me little...

You really need to 'roll with it' here.... and it changes constantly

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The employee had the typical sh!tty attitude prevalent in most customer service venues in the DR. It was not an attack.
I see an agenda here, perhaps??

No agenda whatsoever. But what was the OP expecting to get when he went on a mission and confronted Maxiel? (yes, he mentioned her by name, which is very dangerous on an open internet forum)

Did he expect Maxiel to be all apologetic and immediately refund the Op's difference to a more preferential exchange rate? Maxiel probably has no working knowledge of how the credit card payments are managed. Which is more likely controlled by the company accountant, who probably has an office off site.

Has the OP ever been to Punta Cana? If so, everyone gets gouged with lousy exchange rates. PUJ casa de cambio is selling 40 pesos per dollar at the moment!!!!!!

He threatened that they would be losing his business and many other customers with this practice of exchange rate gouging.

The OP accused me of being misinformed. Yet I know how the system works here. As I stated before, Playero have a dual currency credit card machine. You can choose what currency you want to pay with. USD or RDS. So my advice would be to choose the RDS sum and let your bank do the conversion.

Chico Bill has just posted that his bank and the other supermarkets have given him an excellent exchange rate.

It seems that the OP is being a little naive, by thinking that his rant to Maxiel and here on DR1 is going to resolve things. Especially when he posts that he doesn't want the hassle of a Dominican bank account because of his US tax transparency.

It really is a good idea to get all the facts correct before you go off on an unfounded rant in public.

So perhaps, that's my agenda. I like Playero. They are a family run business that do a huge amount of good for our community. Just look at Nelson, another member of the family. He is realizing the dream that one day Sosua will be a family destination. Look at how much he has invested in his restaurant. My family love it.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Rhanson1,

I have yet to see a post from anyone indicating that they have made a recent purchase at Playero with a credit card and received the prevailing exchange rate. And as I explained earlier, I get the proper prevailing exchange rate when I use the same credit card at other stores here, so I do not see how the problem could be with my bank. And also as previously stated, my experience is the same when I use a credit card from a different bank. So the problem is clearly on the Playero end of things.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
What about looking for the answer or owners on Facebook or YouTube

It's on both....

FaceBook gets a lot of their complaints and praise - I am told

Yes, I considered going on Facebook to see if I someone could explain this to me. But after some of the responses that I've received here, I decided it's simply not worth it to go public again. I will keep this to myself and simply shop at Super Pola or pay cash at Playero. End of story. i don't need this. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.