Warning to tourists/Foreigners in Punta Cana area!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Be careful out there and aware and always remember that on ANY given day ANYWHERE on earth ANY ONE of us could be the victim.
Please heed Laurajane's notice and learn what she wanted to teach and that is to be alert and aware of the dangers that COULD possibly lurk out there IN PC.

Sure it happens everywhere, the world is a funny place. I have no doubt this happened, but another poster stating 'punta cana' is dangerous is not accurate, in comparison to where. It is without a doubt the safest area I know in the country.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Obviously kidnappers in PC are a few cuts below those in the North Coast. The innocent victim wasn't allowed to keep money, credit cards and his iPhone.

:cheeky:

Reactions: laurajane and SKY

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Things like this only happens to crazy people, how in the world a man can be walking alone on the side of the road at night very drunk, with a Presidente beer in hand in a different country.....
I saw this many time when driving from STI to Puerto Plata for tourist arriving late in late night flights.
I guess this is what he did.

JJ

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Things like this only happens to crazy people, how in the world a man can be walking alone on the side of the road at night very drunk, with a Presidente beer in hand in a different country.....
I saw this many time when driving from STI to Puerto Plata for tourist arriving late in late night flights.
I guess this is what he did.

JJ

It happens to anybody not just crazy people.
I do agree this man was crazy to do what he did. Now he knows better I hope. That doesn't make him the guilty one....it makes him ignorant of his surroundings..the crooks are still the guilty ones.
I have seen it many times in the tourist areas too JJ. All the more reason to educate them on the possible dangerous situations out there and how to avoid trouble. I used to warn rookie tourists all the time about things not to do and things to do to stay out of trouble. Some listened..some didn't...some found trouble and some didn't. Guess which group found trouble?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you get robbed in such cicumstances you have to take a certain amount of responsability for yourself. I accept that getting robbed at gunpoint in the Capital was my own stupid fault, I know better than that and take full responsability.
This guy, alone, drunk in a foreign environment waving down cars in the middle of the night, lol, sort of deserves what he got and if anywhere else in the country could quite easily have been much much worse, if infact that is what happened.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
At no point did i say this man was drunk, infact i said that my boys said he didnt seem in anyway drunk.

Thos thread was not to debate if Punta Cana is more or less dangerous than any other place, but i know it well and have lived here for 7 years and have heard, witnessed and been a victim and not at any time did i see it as my fault or anyone elses apart from the scumbags who commit the crime.

To say he deserved everything he got is beyond harsh and ridiculous.

As Dulce said this thread was a warning to try and help anyone that maybe living or travelling to the area, not to start a debate on if its true, not true or if he did or did not deserve it, But to try in small small way to stop it happening to someone else. As usual pepople like to add a bit of drama and try and find a seedy reason for it and pick it apart and not take it for the genuine kind way it was reported.

Sigh

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
:chinese:OK, point made, Punta Cana is dangerous. Everyone watch out if you are flagging a car or taxi down in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, in nice dress clothes, without a clue where you are, might be a little dodgey!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
:chinese:OK, point made, Punta Cana is dangerous. Everyone watch out if you are flagging a car or taxi down in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, in nice dress clothes, without a clue where you are, might be a little dodgey!

OMG! We dont know he flagged a car down, we dont know that he was unfamiliar with his surroundings, and he was in a busy tourist hot spot all we know is the guy was dumped in the middle of nowhere helpless and robbed. This does not happen to every toursit or foreign resident, thank god or i am sure non of us would be here, but it obviosuly does happen to some. Some are lucky some not so lucky.

Anywhere can be dangerous here especially if you are arrogant enough to think you are untouchable and do not take the right precautions like you yourself did and was held up at gun point which was careless but not your fault and had you been hurt or stripped of everything non of us would have said you got what you deserved...good grief!

I am extremely careful, probably more so as i have children, but i have had an intruder in my home and so has a good friend of mine who lives near by, had a necklace ripped of my neck while on the back of a moto concho, a friend murdered in Punta Cana in her own home and another good friend shot point blank in the neck also while at home...the list goes on. So yes it can be extremley dangerous, but taking advice and learning the ways of living here a safely as you can from other people with experience I.E other DR1 members has become invaluble to myself. I have lived here for 7 years, some members have been here longer some not so long but i know what i am talking about, I am a grown woman with a family and a business and my opinions and posts and or threads are not worthy of sarcasm.

Moderators feel free to close this thread as it seems the intention of my message has been completley overlooked.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
laurajane,

I'm just pulling your leg my love. Obviously anyone with an ounce of sense will dispose of my BS as one side and yours another. This in general is not a safe country in those situations, only on the terms that elsewhere usually a robbery means more than just that, only a kicking means more than that, etc etc, it's a little more hardcore at times. You are spot on with your warnings, I havent living in Bavaro long enough to have friends and family killed and mugged etc etc. But I just felt little side track of reality needed to be installed before people reading this thought it was unsafe to visit. The last thing you need on the East is people avoiding it for fear of being out alone at night. Many people check in and out of here without signing up, read your post and think 'OMG, not going there, lets go to Jamaica'.

Sorry if I was a bit sarcastic.

You gave good advice in my book, I just needed to lighten the reality in comparrisson to elsewhere.

Cheers,
Anas

Feb 7, 2007
Obviously kidnappers in PC are a few cuts below those in the North Coast. The innocent victim wasn't allowed to keep money, credit cards and his iPhone.

:cheeky:

You're forgetting the money he was "allowed" to keep because it was "hidden" in his shoe and kidnappers weren't meticulous enough to strip search him ...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Not only is Punta Cana dangerous for tourists, but also Cabarete and Santo Domingo. I surmise that there may be many cities that I do not know at this point on this island that practice this heinous crime. I advise and caution all tourists who are traveling to the Dominican Republic to never and I mean never use their ATM machines, for fear of being ripped off like I have repeatedly been done on several occassions all over this money-scheming island. The ATM machines must be rigged. Upon arriving back to my country, my bank statement reflected many unauthorized debits that I never consented to. All they need is your number; PINS do not even have to be known. These are professional crooks employed somewhere in the system that swindle us unknowingly though we trust them at their banks. Big mistake! BIGGGGG MISTAKE! I do not have money to throw away! I am having difficulty making contact with this particular bank, Banco Popular, to bring attention to their crime. I did notice that there was a thread sometimes ago on this forum addressing the same issue and several oral reports that this is a frequent practice with the banks over there. I really didn't want experience to be my teacher. It somehow has dampened my spirits to travel there and they wonder why their regoin is so poor! Ask someone who's been severely robbed over there. Perhaps that will explain why they will continously experience lack. Ill-gotten gain is a curse to anone! There are no exceptions, even for the crooked banks over in the D.R.! Tourists, beware!

sorry that Your Spirits been Disturbed over here.
maybe you should look for an other Forum to discuss the hail of the better one

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Funny Topic,
should in reality be moved to the Clown Bin, would get real attention there.

somebody Not Familiar with the Area/Surroundings, but ""supposed"" to live there somewhere nearby,
holy Crap Laura,
You know obviously nothing about the Guy Your Guys picked up there in the middle of nowhere, so don't make any assumptions, you did not even meet him in person.

by your told story I do not believe that He took any of the regular PC Taxis in the first place, he had Fun out in Town and took a ride, he took that ride with the wrong guys, such happens to stu's here every week, because when on Vaca or when they "think" they are the "all knowing Expats" they leave ALL Guards down.

Dulcecita,
what do ya know about the Theme to make such 'assumptions' ??

to be honest,
to find such Guy after Sunset on da Road around the Hard Rock Moon Palace Entrance,
I would not stop to ask where He wanna go to,
at least Not without My Gun in hand when approaching Him.

some really live in "da other world"

Mike

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
MikeFisher
I luv ya buddy and I love Punta Cana too. In no way do I find it dangerous in PC. Let's not turn this into a copycat of past posts of dangers on the North Coast. I understand you and others are protecting your territory.
My reponses have not been in a negative nature towards PC in particular. What I wrote was to educate people on the possiblities of danger anywhere
Have a bright sun shiney day Mike and step away from DR1 at 2:15AM after a fun night out in PC. You should be getting laid instead of getting upset reading here. LOL
Dulcecita wishes she was in PC having a fun time right now so go have some fun in my honor!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is SOOOOO not like you Mike. Did you have a bad night?
"that's BS from somebody who never been here"
"sorry that Your Spirits been Disturbed over here."
"maybe you should look for an other Forum to discuss the hail of the better one"
"read the bord guidelines and STFU"
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Funny Topic,
should in reality be moved to the Clown Bin, would get real attention there.

somebody Not Familiar with the Area/Surroundings, but ""supposed"" to live there somewhere nearby,
holy Crap Laura,
You know obviously nothing about the Guy Your Guys picked up there in the middle of nowhere, so don't make any assumptions, you did not even meet him in person.

by your told story I do not believe that He took any of the regular PC Taxis in the first place, he had Fun out in Town and took a ride, he took that ride with the wrong guys, such happens to stu's here every week, because when on Vaca or when they "think" they are the "all knowing Expats" they leave ALL Guards down.

Dulcecita,
what do ya know about the Theme to make such 'assumptions' ??

to be honest,
to find such Guy after Sunset on da Road around the Hard Rock Moon Palace Entrance,
I would not stop to ask where He wanna go to,
at least Not without My Gun in hand when approaching Him.

some really live in "da other world"

Mike

Ok, so i have decided to no longer be a part of DR1, I am sick of people reading what they want to read and then telling me what is true and or not true about my own bloody life and my own experiences. I can not post or start a thread with out being told i am lying, i am wrong when people dont even read the post properly and dream up some other scenario which them deem to be much more likely.

I use DR1 for information and contacts but personally feel it has become a boys club for the choosen few to shove their own opinions down your throat and for some reason stories and opinions like mine are worthless and pointless. To be told my thread should go in the clown bin!?!?!?!!?

Have met some wonderful people here and i am grateful that i have made some friends i will continue to stay in touch with.

Over and out!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Well, it seems like some of you knuckleheads have driven off one of the small handful of people here who actually have something useful and/or helpful to say. Good job. The site will now be a little less helpful for newbies looking for real info, and yet even more crowded by useless gossip and drivel.

Good job, you should be proud of yourselves.

Ok, so i have decided to no longer be a part of DR1, I am sick of people reading what they want to read and then telling me what is true and or not true about my own bloody life and my own experiences. I can not post or start a thread with out being told i am lying, i am wrong when people dont even read the post properly and dream up some other scenario which them deem to be much more likely.

I use DR1 for information and contacts but personally feel it has become a boys club for the choosen few to shove their own opinions down your throat and for some reason stories and opinions like mine are worthless and pointless. To be told my thread should go in the clown bin!?!?!?!!?

Have met some wonderful people here and i am grateful that i have made some friends i will continue to stay in touch with.

Over and out!