waste managemnet in Dominican Republic

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They do the beach cleanups in the USA.
Many corp sponsor it. They started small and it has grown all along the coast and they have them on the same weekends
I like it. Could DR1 sponsor a beach clean up? Ussens doing it, and if some local people chose to join in, let them.
Fundaci?n Vida Azul organise the local activities of international beach and river cleaning day in September every year. Follow them on Twitter or Facebook and you can take part this year.
www.facebook.com/pages/Fundacion-Vida-Azul/125645467463353
twitter.com/vidaazul

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
taking car of natural enviromnent is the case of all humans on this planet. not the case of "tradition" (how can you say thats the elemnt of culture ? it sounds like sarcasm to me... its barbarian thing , just that) I feel sorry for some people that I need to explain that.
yes i know that some people may start to play devil's advocate and tell about Oil fields exploration, excessive consumption of plastic etc. etc. its always good to start from something...
and CARIBETORNO, my guess is that you prefer to relax on beaches without plastic bottles on it and so on... unless you don't care about it and like trash on beaches you may write what you write...the same goes to vacanodr

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
taking car of natural enviromnent is the case of all humans on this planet. not the case of "tradition" (how can you say thats the elemnt of culture ? it sounds like sarcasm to me... its barbarian thing , just that) I feel sorry for some people that I need to explain that.
yes i know that some people may start to play devil's advocate and tell about Oil fields exploration, excessive consumption of plastic etc. etc. its always good to start from something...
and CARIBETORNO, my guess is that you prefer to relax on beaches without plastic bottles on it and so on... unless you don't care about it and like trash on beaches you may write what you write...the same goes to vacanodr

You are correct. I do not throw things on the ground at the beach. I rarely go to the beach.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
These pictures are in Enriquillo. I know them well. You'd be shocked at how much "Crap" comes out of the ocean there. They clean up the beach a few times a year.. I think the next clean up is in a few weeks actually. And when they clean it up, it is really nice. It SUCKS that everything comes up out of the ocean like that, except the Barahonians LOVE it because that is where everything comes out of the ocean.. which means nice bricks of drugs and then they make GOOD money on it.. lol. Many Enriquillians make a career of scavenging the shore, in hopes to make it big with a big brick of cocaine or something..

So sad that you haven't seen the beach when its cleaned up Curious.. Maybe you have you just chose to post it at its worse? I lived there for a long time, and yes it gets quite grimmy but usually when it was too "rough" anyway for my kids to enjoy so it didn't bother us.. we would bathe in the river in Los Patos down the road. But when its calm, it's usually cleaned up nicely.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Actually I was quite taken back when I lived across from here... and saw a ton of people out cleaning up the beach together. Their reward was nothing more than some bread and juice. I know Dominicans will do just about anything for something free.. but it was incredible.

Curious.. If you haven't been to their "pool" in Enriquillo ask someone to bring you there. It's really beautiful with a waterfall and all.. :) It used to be a public pool that you had to pay to go to.. but then a hurricane in 98 (George?!) destroyed it.. but its still quite pretty.. The people do an EXCELLENT job of cleaning that area almost daily. Not all Dominicans are slobs as you may believe. Some do take pride in what they have and don't live like barbarians.

Jen

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
hey. of course I know what you talking about. photos are not from the beach , but from the cliff rocks - near the Enriquillo beach. It looks like that they wanted to hide it or something.... it's just 200 m from beach and around 50 m from that big rocks on the beach. the beach is however a little polluted with trash, but not THAT much.
I posted these photos to make people think a little when they enjoy their daily consumption routine - plastic bags and so on.
Whole country is polluted, they put trash everywhere (and no, not Haitainas but Dominicans), but yeah i know - this was a little extremum. but maybe in few years whole country will look like that.
Why when i go to cafeteria to buy some 5 pesos coffee cup they always sell it in plastic bag ? is it THAT hard to sell it ( for people who want to drink it IN cafeteria) in ceramic cup ? count that with 10,000 cafeterias and with dozens of caffee every day, add to that lack of any "waste management" and you have picture/s.

as for the pool - yeah its nice to get in there in day with 35 Celsius :)
Actually I was quite taken back when I lived across from here... and saw a ton of people out cleaning up the beach together. Their reward was nothing more than some bread and juice. I know Dominicans will do just about anything for something free.. but it was incredible.

Curious.. If you haven't been to their "pool" in Enriquillo ask someone to bring you there. It's really beautiful with a waterfall and all.. :) It used to be a public pool that you had to pay to go to.. but then a hurricane in 98 (George?!) destroyed it.. but its still quite pretty.. The people do an EXCELLENT job of cleaning that area almost daily. Not all Dominicans are slobs as you may believe. Some do take pride in what they have and don't live like barbarians.

Jen

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
It is their country and that is how they choose to live. I have no right to complain about it. I respect them and their culture. If I have a problem, I should go back the USA and not complain about it because I do not want to be rude.
In that case they should change their advertising abroad, when try to get people to visit their dirty country

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
In that case they should change their advertising abroad, when try to get people to visit their dirty country

Well actually this part of the island is NOT promoting tourism. This is in Barahona, where tourism is very low.. ;) I'm sure the beaches in Punta Cana and Puerta Plata aren't like this... but who knows.. I prefer dirty barahona ;)

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
It's the culture in my opinion. I believe that because I can remember quite well in the USA (1950's) when it was socially acceptable to throw trash out the window of your car when you were "out in the country" or out of a town. Nearly everyone just rolled down the window and tossed trash without a second thought....like Dominicans do today.

Then, there was an advertising campaign in the 1960's (Lady Bird Johnson was involved) to stop "littering". Big billboards along highways about it and on TV.

Slowly, but surely, the culture changed. Today, not many people litter. So the highways are fairly clean and whatever trash is there is cleaned up without a huge amount of effort....usually by private groups (Adopt a Highway X# of miles in given location). And there is a social stigma to littering. Younger people are shocked with someone litters today and object when they see it.

This could happen here, but it would require time and education.