Water filtering system for the whole house in Cabarete.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Maximum hardness treated by this process is 25 GPG. It is also not recommended to be used on well water systems and is for use in city water supplies. This media is actually used in industrial applications for descaling boilers and cooling towers to reduce service and lessen the amount of chemicals that need to be purchased.

Thx for the info. I knew about having to change the media periodically and came to the conclusion that this general type of equipment was not up to the task I would be subjecting it to.

The misnomer of calling it a water softener as opposed to a descaler is an example of how one can be easily mislead into thinking you are buying one thing when it is really another. If I remember correctly Eco-Serve did mention "scale" more often that "soft water" but I was still lead to the conclusion that "they" equated the two things as being the same.

The only person I know who raves about their water softness is the guy with the old style tub full of salt chips.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This is the the Dominican Republic so keep in mind that anything that requires maintenance and or repairs will end up being a big pita. Things that normally work trouble free for years like refrigerators break down here.

For me the secret to being happy in the DR is avoid all stress by making life as simple as possible.
Installing a water system sounds like an expensive path to big time stress. Just my view, good luck.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The principle behind a classic water softener seems pretty simple. I don't even think one has moving parts. I've never owned one myself so I may be missing a concept or two. Basically a big plastic tank is filled with salt chunks. After being filtered for particulates, hard water from your well, cistern or water supply enters this tank. Here the water sits until called for by a faucet or a toilet flush. The salt reacts in some way with the dissolved calcium in the water. The excess calcium vanishes somehow and water leaving the tank is "softer" than when it went in. I'm not sure bit I might remember the water softener going through some sort of flush cycle to waste as a timed event every so often. I would not be surprised if that is the case, but I'm just not sure.

There may be some shut off valves involved but I don't think there are any unit specific pumps or complicated electronics.

I haven't personally seen big bags of rock salt at any store I frequent in and around Sosua. I do remember from my Mother's system, that she always had a stack of salt bags near her softener and she needed to add more salt as it was dissolved by the water over time. She always had quite a few bags of salt because new salt needed to be put in the softer at fairly frequent/regular intervals.

In the end, I could only envision having to hire a truck to deliver a pallet or two of salt form some far away city. Where would I store all of this humidity sensitive salt? How long could I store it? How many times would I have to arrange delivery?

In the end, I just accepted that it was all too much for me to deal with or obsess over. I only occasionally think about soft water now. Like the heat here that makes me sweat, I accept that I will not be able to change the reality of my hard water in the absence of a really compelling reason to do so.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The principle behind a classic water softener seems pretty simple. I don't even think one has moving parts. I've never owned one myself so I may be missing a concept or two. Basically a big plastic tank is filled with salt chunks. After being filtered for particulates, hard water from your well, cistern or water supply enters this tank. Here the water sits until called for by a faucet or a toilet flush. The salt reacts in some way with the dissolved calcium in the water. The excess calcium vanishes somehow and water leaving the tank is "softer" than when it went in. I'm not sure bit I might remember the water softener going through some sort of flush cycle to waste as a timed event every so often. I would not be surprised if that is the case, but I'm just not sure.

There may be some shut off valves involved but I don't think there are any unit specific pumps or complicated electronics.

I haven't personally seen big bags of rock salt at any store I frequent in and around Sosua. I do remember from my Mother's system, that she always had a stack of salt bags near her softener and she needed to add more salt as it was dissolved by the water over time. She always had quite a few bags of salt because new salt needed to be put in the softer at fairly frequent/regular intervals.

In the end, I could only envision having to hire a truck to deliver a pallet or two of salt form some far away city. Where would I store all of this humidity sensitive salt? How long could I store it? How many times would I have to arrange delivery?

In the end, I just accepted that it was all too much for me to deal with or obsess over. I only occasionally think about soft water now. Like the heat here that makes me sweat, I accept that I will not be able to change the reality of my hard water in the absence of a really compelling reason to do so.

Normal water softeners work on the principal of Ion Exchange. Ion Exchange media is polystyrene beads that have been etched or "Cross-linked" and charged with a positive or negative charge to form ion exchange sites. Fiberglass tanks are filled with the resin and an automated regeneration valve is attached to the top enclosing the tank while also allowing the water lines to be attached to the valve. Water enters the top of the tank flowing down through the tank over the resin. Calcium Ions are exchanged by the resin by either sodium, or potassium ions depending which type of salt is being used. as the exchange sites are used up, the resin will need recharging at which time the valve starts it's function by first backwashing the media bed upflow to wash out any silt or debris. Second is the bring cycle where brine from a separate brine tank is drawn into the softener by a venturi device in the valve downflow at a rate of about 2-3GPM and out to drain. This brine action washes the calcium ions off of the resin while attaching sodium or potassium ions back onto the resin to complete the exchange. The amount of salt used is approximately 12 lbs. per cu. ft. of resin to achieve 32,000 grains hardness removal capacity. the softener is then fast rinsed before returning to service to soften more water.

I hate water softeners because they are such old technology and pollute our planet with unnecessary brine discharge. The only reason they are still used today is because of the huge amounts of political pac money that the salt companies pour into politics. Water softeners are their largest forms of income.

There are Nano-filtration membranes that are specially designed to remove 95% of Calcium and Magnesium (Hardness) while reducing the overall conductivity of the water source by only 25-30%. Industrial companies who once had these gigantic water softeners matched with brine Pits the size of a large above ground swimming pool have made the change to nano filtration to lessen the operations costs for soft water. Unfortunately, these systems do require maintenance which is why they are not well suited to the residential market and why old fashioned water softeners still exist.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
This is the the Dominican Republic so keep in mind that anything that requires maintenance and or repairs will end up being a big pita. Things that normally work trouble free for years like refrigerators break down here.

For me the secret to being happy in the DR is avoid all stress by making life as simple as possible.
Installing a water system sounds like an expensive path to big time stress. Just my view, good luck.

Yea .I am also a big supporter of the KISS principle. :)

Will be following the advice of jstarebel to get the water tested first so I can understand where I am at ,options available from the expert and cost associated to do it and cost/risk not to do it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Zoomer
there really aren't any moving parts to my system
The company comes to clean/check it every 90 days

A few years into it - no problems at all.....
now that I've said that.....