water flow and pressure

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Thats about right laurapasinifan. I found results were closer to double the flow rate between 1/2 and 3/4 inch pipe so I would have estimated 3 gpm.
The problem is
-lots of tight bends restrict the flow.
- The inlet and outlet diameter is often constricted eg 1/2 inch outlet from tinaco
- the flow is likely restricted by a non-return valve

All these factors penalise the flow rate so there really is no way to tell except to have a doctorate in fluid dynamics or have a go :)
Perhaps experiment with some cheap black poly pipe first.
Are we getting close to an answer for you Bob?

an update and other question
was at a friends house in Hato Mayor the other day,and was discussing the flow question I had.He took me up to his tinaco,and showed me what he had done...he has a 1inch pipe out of tinaco,down the side of house,then goes into a 1/2 inch pipe.He has great pressure.I have not purchased the pump yet,so I will try this first...
the question I have is...He also has a pipe directly out of outlet of tinacoat at a T, that goes straight up,just above tinaco height and is open......what is that for???
bob

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
the question I have is...He also has a pipe directly out of outlet of tinacoat at a T, that goes straight up,just above tinaco height and is open......what is that for???
bob

Sounds like it's an air pipe, to let air in and out as the water level changes to prevent an air lock and ensure free running of the water in and out of the tank - it's a "breather" that any closed vessel needs (like the gas tank in your car).

Sep 19, 2005
the pipe ID reduction probably helps a lot for pressure, but hurts volume...

so if you were looking for maximum flow...I would think you should stick to the large dia pipe through out..unless you have a long run someplace...

if you do have a long run of a horizontal nautre..then a reduction in pipe ID could help get more pressure to the end of that long run. but you only want the reduction where the water stops its verticle descent and starts its long run...

good luck bad bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
the pipe ID reduction probably helps a lot for pressure, but hurts volume...

so if you were looking for maximum flow...I would think you should stick to the large dia pipe through out..unless you have a long run someplace...

if you do have a long run of a horizontal nautre..then a reduction in pipe ID could help get more pressure to the end of that long run. but you only want the reduction where the water stops its verticle descent and starts its long run...

good luck bad bob
the only long run is down side of house...only about 3 ft from tinaco to downward pipe.,which is about 7 or 8 ft..I will run the 1inch pipe right to the faucet at washer.Tinaco is only for washer,as I have another for bathroom and kitchen.
bob