Water Supply Problems on the North Coast

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here is the translation of the response from Coraapplata :
journalist Daniel Mercado, Director of Communications and Public Relations of CORAAPPLATA

Dear lady, who is addressed to you is journalist Daniel Mercado, Director of Communications and Public Relations of CORAAPPLATA for the municipality of Sosúa, I take the opportunity to respectfully disprove your words as in recent months no meeting has been held at our main offices with you or any area commission to which it may concern. It is false of all falsehood that we have ever held any meeting, yet our institution has always been open to receive users. On the other hand, we have certainly had inconveniences with the service, due to the inclement drought affecting the country, this is added to a series of sabotages some oriented for political reasons approaching an election year and in which we have been victims of broken pipes, manipulations of valves on the verge of destabilizing the system, facts which we have timely communicated to citizens through our channels and social networks every sitaution, we have always remained open to receive any complaint but, on the date that you claim to have met with us you lack the truth, of all forms any approach or meeting that you and the community in question may need, we are ready to listen, taking into account that tremendous and false statements affect tourist activity for lack of veracity
Here is a screenshot of a later message from Mr Mercado, which has been doing the rounds on social media:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here is the translation of the response from Coraapplata :
journalist Daniel Mercado, Director of Communications and Public Relations of CORAAPPLATA

Dear lady, who is addressed to you is journalist Daniel Mercado, Director of Communications and Public Relations of CORAAPPLATA for the municipality of Sosúa, I take the opportunity to respectfully disprove your words as in recent months no meeting has been held at our main offices with you or any area commission to which it may concern. It is false of all falsehood that we have ever held any meeting, yet our institution has always been open to receive users. On the other hand, we have certainly had inconveniences with the service, due to the inclement drought affecting the country, this is added to a series of sabotages some oriented for political reasons approaching an election year and in which we have been victims of broken pipes, manipulations of valves on the verge of destabilizing the system, facts which we have timely communicated to citizens through our channels and social networks every sitaution, we have always remained open to receive any complaint but, on the date that you claim to have met with us you lack the truth, of all forms any approach or meeting that you and the community in question may need, we are ready to listen, taking into account that tremendous and false statements affect tourist activity for lack of veracity
There is a screen shot doing the rounds in which Mr Mercado later posted on Facebook: "After communicating with Mr Vasquez I must apologize publicly because the General Directorate was not informed of that meeting".

Reactions: Olly

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Perla Marina to Casa Linda area is the worst water area for wells ..I have my own well test every yr perfect never ran out 15yrs 230’ down..
What kind of pump do you use?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You will know when you will finally get water. Someone previously said that the former (abandoned) resort next to Perla Marina is owned by the President's family. If that is so, when the President decides to do something with that land, I predict the water company will fix your water problem.
Of course, the water supply is political, just like the weather

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
There is a screen shot doing the rounds in which Mr Mercado later posted on Facebook: "After communicating with Mr Vasquez I must apologize publicly because the General Directorate was not informed of that meeting".
Can you porivide a copy of it? I cannot find it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And anything run by the government is poorly run and costs too much and money becomes 'disappeared' rapidly
Anyone have a link to the promised north coast "aqueduct" that was to fix the problems? Another project that never happens while AI resorts and Cruise Ports get the focus because of revenue while the north coast remains the bastard child.

Reactions: chico bill

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
are all these water problems affecting the supply of bottled water to the north coast?
Zero problems lots of bottled water…most are on well water with reverse osmosis system.. some pockets of Areas always had water problems and seem always will have them..Perla Marina is one that I keep hearing over the yrs..

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Best thing I ever done also …I serviced our whole community last summer , when community pump died and well bore collapsed couldn’t pull pump to replace had to be abandoned and new bore done and took almost two weeks.
I bet you became the most popular person in town!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

They remove 100,000 cubic meters of sediment from the Las Barías dam in three months​

Drought reduces hydroelectric power production by 30%​

Santo Domingo, DR

The seasonal drought that has affected the country since the end of November of last year has reduced power generation from water sources by 30%, said the administrator of the Dominican Hydroelectric Generation Company (Egehid), engineer Rafael Salazar.
He explained that priority is given to the use of water stored in the dams for human consumption , for agricultural and livestock irrigation, and later for energy production.
When being interviewed on the Climate Agenda program, by meteorological analyst Jean Suriel, and meteorologist Miguel Campusano, by CDN Radio, Salazar reported on the Government's plan to recover the water storage capacity of the reservoirs and thus ensure sufficient liquid to human consumption, agricultural irrigation and electricity production, mainly in times of seasonal drought.
He gave an example of the start-up of the pilot project for cleaning the sediments of the Barías Counterdam, on the Nizao River , from which more than 100,000 cubic meters of sediments have been extracted in just three months.
He indicated that Las Barías is a pilot project that has no cost to the Dominican State and that will allow it to be replicated in hydroelectric complexes such as Valdesia and Aguacate, also on the Nizao River, and Tavera, on the Yaque del Norte River. .
"Because the agreement that was reached is that the companies that won the tender are charged with the sale of sediments, which are also added to the national construction system, and mud can also serve as fertilizer for agriculture," said Salazar. in the interview by CDN Radio.
“So, when these seasonal drought problems come, have the ability to endure and there is no uncertainty in the population. But we have already started that process and the idea is to continue this year with Avocado and Valesia and next year to be able to incorporate other dams in extracting the thirsty, in cleaning, in the recovery of the reservoirs. It is a very interesting project for the country”, he pointed out.
emptying of the reservoir
The time for cleaning the Las Barías counterdam is estimated at 15 months, because it includes all the tailings, to leave the entire system as it was when it was built.
He explained that for this, the reservoir must be emptied, which is coordinated with the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INDRHI) and agricultural producers through the Irrigation Boards.
Salazar also raised the need to build more dams in the country in order to take advantage of surface waters, mainly in the season of greatest rainfall.
He indicated that currently the country only uses around 9.1% of the water.
"We have to have a plan and for this there is the Pact for Water, which is going to be signed in the next few days, which will allow the construction of all the dams that are necessary in the country in a planned way, as countries like Costa Rica have done. Rica and Cuba.
He also referred to the decline in the production of hydroelectric power due to the drought. He pointed out that currently daily hydroelectric generation is 2.4 to 2.5 gigawatts, numbers lower than the 3.5 gigawatts per day that occur in normal times.

Reactions: Olly

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
At last someone with a plan to increase the 9.1 % capture of surface water. We have been keeping record of rainfall in Perla Marina since 2007 and there is a downtrend on the rainfall here but it is still averaging about 100 Inches per year. See chart below.
It is a problem of storage and management. Demand is skyrocketing with all thr new build and Coraapplata has no long range plans.
1681686631854.png

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's really frustrating at times to see flooded streets in SD every time there is a heavy storm and all of it just drains off.