Wealthiest people (especially businesspeople) in the D.R.?

May 29, 2006
What happened to the wealth of the Trujillo regime? Didn't he "own" most of the country when he was around?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Most wealth on that list is third or fourth generation family money, eg. Barcelo, Bermudez, Jimenes, you knew that.

No, I did not :eek:. I was just curious since in the US or Europe, people tend to mention an individual as opposed to a family (even if that individual came from "old money").

E

engineerfg

I was trying to explain this to my friend here the other day who didn't understand why some of us westerners have issues raising kids in this country. IN this country, if you're born a nobody and not from a 'dynasty' family, it's pretty much impossible (odds are stacked 99.99% against you) that you'll ever make serious money and cross the tracks to being a somebody.

In America, the Mark Zuckerberg dream of going from zero to billions just on your smarts and hard work before the age of 30 is still possible and achievable.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you want to get an idea of most of the richest families in Santo Domingo get a hold of an old Carol Morgan School yearbook - I would say at least 90% of the richest families with school age children have or have had some of those youngesters in school there.....
I used to teach there and textiles are a bit of a hobby of mine, there was one family that had tapestries in their house in Santo Domingo that each cost more than my three bedroom home on 2 acres in the States - just to give you an idea of the wealth here - that family name hasn't been brought up by anyone on this thread yet......

Reactions: waytogo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As one of my friends says, if their surname ends in 'i'...

I would be among them if my ancestors hadn't anglicised ours with a 'y'.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Book on the subject

There is a book called " Los Duenos de la Republica Dominicana" by Esteban Rosario 2008 editora Buho

It puts Vicini/Cabral as the richest family estate in the country and puts Pepin Corripio as the richest man in the DR.

It states that 20 families control the vast majority of wealth and influence in the country. This includes tourism, agriculture, industry and land ownership. It also states that this is an exclusive club that inter marry to fortify family connections and power. They also own the media, all the financial institutions and private universities.

By the way, one thing it mentioned was that the first Vicini in the DR first job was washing horses. Italian families have done well in this country.

Reactions: waytogo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nah, they owe a lot of people...if Cap Cana develops they will be up there.

HB
Are you sure HB?

Back in October my two wonderful eyes had the opportunity of glancing at the Cap Cana financial statement and up to August of this year CC racked in profits that practically equaled what they earned in all of 2009 (we're talking eight figures).

It's not a question of if Cap Cana develops, it is developing quite nicely.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What about this family???
Grupo Le?n Jimenes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My wife's godfather Jose Leon Acencio, I think he is actually the president of the company.
Members of my family and her family worked in la Aurora in the early 60s, her father and my uncle became compadres that's the reason we met.

JJ

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Not sure why you refer to this article that is basically trash. Do you agree that the three largest foreign investors in the last five years are bad for this country? Should have these foreign companies taken their capital else where?

I for one would wish they go steal somewhere else.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
No, I did not :eek:. I was just curious since in the US or Europe, people tend to mention an individual as opposed to a family (even if that individual came from "old money").

yeah in the DR you are nobody w/o your rich daddy lol hence the term "hijitos de papi y mami" thats used for spoiled rich brats. its all about who your daddy is. and who his daddy was, and so on....certain last names are just extremely recognizable...

the jimenes family has tons of stray kids on the side w their name...i know several of them. but none of them count either. you have to be from the family unit, or youre nobody.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
yeah in the DR you are nobody w/o your rich daddy lol hence the term "hijitos de papi y mami" thats used for spoiled rich brats. its all about who your daddy is. and who his daddy was, and so on....certain last names are just extremely recognizable...

the jimenes family has tons of stray kids on the side w their name...i know several of them. but none of them count either. you have to be from the family unit, or youre nobody.
Oh yeah, you are right my seconds names helped me a lot during the twelve years of Pte. Balaguer..

JJ

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I for one would wish they go steal somewhere else.

You should read "Manual del perfecto idiota latino americano" Plinio Apuleyo Mendonza (colombiano), Carlos Alberto Montaner (cubano) y Alberto Vargas Llosa (peruano). It talks about the truths about the benefits foreign investment has brought to Latin America.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh yeah, you are right my seconds names helped me a lot during the twelve years of Pte. Balaguer..

JJ
Well, you know what they say (watch the segments between 2:20 and 2:30 minutes below):

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mnETWCxoOnQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mnETWCxoOnQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Oh wait, wrong country. Sorry. :eek:gre: :eek:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont get the point of this thread, are "we" just idolizing those who have amassed massive wealth on this island by deluding and tricking the general population? Why deify and lionize these families because they used a simple relationship to an incompetent dictator with identity issues to steal?