Weddings outside a resort

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
To Sukie and Sosso

I went married last year in the sand of Cabarete. My wife and I chose the beach spot that is right on what is called Punta Goleta (not the hotel but actually the place) very near of Dare2Fly. It's easily recognizably (I hope I wrote it well), there are rocks and a flag there, I assume dividing the beach for kiteboarders and windsurfers. There is a house right on that spot. We asked the owners and they let us use it to park the cars safely. We married on july 12th at 7:00 p.m. The sun was hiding on the west and the full moon was rising on the northeast. The sky was very clear and thanks to God we couldn't spend so much decorating the place because it would be worthless. The moon did it all. I suggest to marry on a full moon night.

We put some torches on the sand that didn't work because of the wind.

It was the best wedding ceremony I've ever been. Simple but beautiful. Almost everybody were on their bare feet. The children didn't get bored. The wind didn't allow anybody to sweat, as is usual on DR. Usually is easier for the bride to choose the right costume. My wife was beatiful. The problem, I think, comes when you have to choose what the groom is going to wear. I wore a very light "lino" (I don't know hoe to translate in english) pants and a very light hindu "lino" button-less shirt. My wife was on her bare feet. I was so nervous I forgot to take out my sandals, but I was supposed to do so also.

I hope this helps, girls. Good luck!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Wedding location

Just to let everyone know that we are now hosting weddings at the tropical Plantation. We are on the Carretera Touristica, north shore about 25 minutes from Puerto Plata.

It is a stunning location!!! Anyone who wants info can email darlenetp@verizon.net.do or call the office 320-1700.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Halls for a wedding in POP

Does any one know of any halls in POP/ Sosua/ even Monte Llano that will host a wedding. If so what is included and at what price. Thanks.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
whats more expensive on a 2,000 budget

hey all just out of curiosity i have been lurking around the opstings and have noticed that no one has written about Resort weddings.

whats the price difference, and what wouldooyu prefer with a 2,000 budget?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Is this true

Is it true that for the most part priests will not do weddings outside a church in DR??

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Anna
To answer your question as to who pays for what.
El Padrino pays for liquor
La Madrina pays for the cake
husband pays for the food
wife pays honeymoon
at least that is how it happened at my wedding

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
About who pays for what

LoveMyDRHusband said:
Anna
To answer your question as to who pays for what.
El Padrino pays for liquor
La Madrina pays for the cake
husband pays for the food
wife pays honeymoon
at least that is how it happened at my wedding

I am new on this board and would like to add my two cents. :classic:

In DR, Generally el padrino pays for the liquor and la madrina provides the cake. The bride's family foot the bill for the wedding reception, and the groom pays for the honeymoon, if he has the means, many times he does not, and there is no real honeymoon. The groom also secures the place to live and purchases the furniture.

Now, for Dominicans living in the U.S. what I have observed is that the custom of the padrino and madrina providing the liquor and cake is usually followed when the wedding is celebrated in the home or a hall is rented, and catered by the family... when celebrated at a location where liquor is included and fee is per plate, the bride's parents usually pay for everything, and in many cases the bride and the bride groom would pay for the entire wedding themselves... Honeymoon and expenses for new home/furniture is also usually shared by bride and groom.

I also know of two cases, one in the DR, and another in the U.S.A., where the groom (Dominican) marrying a Dominican, paid for the entire wedding because he was in a better position than the bride and her family! :classic:

MeDominican

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Wedding costs

Hi everyone--
Anna had asked me to post some of the prices for my wedding for Feb 2006.

My husband-to-be is arranging everything, and paying (Aren't I lucky!!!???);)

So... I got the prices from him, but of course he wasn't sure of names of the places, or the street names...he just knows who they are and where to find them by going there.... He's Dominican and I'm from Cda, and he lives in POP, and that is where we are getting married.

He did all the bartering and talking to people, which as a result was cheaper...b/c I had gone once, when we were picking a location, and the girl saw "white gringa" and jacked the prices up....We had gone to this one place, and she wanted 7000 RD for the rental of the space for the reception, b/c she saw me, but we went to a different location (NICER!) I stayed out of sight, and my fiancee got the location for 3000 RD..not fair, but hey that's life in the DR!

So needless to say my fiancee did all the negotiation for the rentals, on his own, but when it came to specifics, I popped up out of nowhere and put my two cents in what I wanted! Then they couldn't overcharge us!

So here is a list of prices..........

LOCATION- 3000 RD Reception Hall in back of Portofino's Restaurant (rental from 830am, until 12 midnight, includes electricity, and freezer for beer and ice and a standing bar built in)

FLOWERS- 8000 RD Includes brides bouqet, grooms boutiners, and two standing floral arrangments on either side of head table, 10 floral arrangments for guests tables, 1 head table arrangement, balloons and decorations for Hall. As well as set up of decorations at the Hall the day of. The flowers I picked out were tropical, b/c I didn't want traditional roses I can have those anywhere, I wanted tropical flowers and colors where I was getting married in the Caribbean. We got our flowers from "Jardines de Jarabacoa" Calle Baller No. 141 Tel 809-970-1100. Very nice lady, can't remember her name but she helped us find the location of Portofinos b/c she said the girl who quoted us 7000 RD was "nut's!"

CAKE- 8000 RD--20 lb cake. To me this seems like a lot of cake, however my husband-to-be, is adamant to have a beautiful cake. As if the cake is the be all to the whole wedding! ;) But the location of this cake-maker is Los Cocos. When I arrive in Feb, I will be picking out the style of the cake, but my fiancee said the pictures of past wedding cakes were absolutly beautiful! Can't wait!

PHOTOGRAPHER- 4000 RD--Now my fiancee had gone and talked to the guy, not sure where he got him, but the talked on a price, he said to come back to pay a deposit that afternoon, so he went back, the photographer wasn't there. So he went back a few days later, the price had jumped from 3500RD to 4000RD. My fiancee called him on it, and said you told me 3500 RD, but the guy said the price of supplies had gone up?! so it turned out to be 4000 RD. Whatever. Life in the DR again! That includes 40 pictures including one large one 8x10.

FOOD- 20 000 RD for about 100 people---this includes 10 chickens, 1 already cooked pig, rice & beans and salad. Now my brother is a chef, who will be attending, and so is my fiancee's brother in law so they will be preparing the food.

EXTRAS- Tablecloths/tables/chairs/serving dishes/utensils and our champagne flutes- 1500 RD, we rented those from Portofino's. We are getting plastic plates (easy cleaning..dump in the garbage bag!:lick: )

DRINKS- 15 000 RD-- Just buying cases of Presidente, and going to the supermarcado and buying a couple of 40's of Whiskey and champagne, and ice. And plastic glasses.

Musica--His friend is a DJ so he will be hooking us up with some musica.

Judge 3000RD- Not sure where he got the judge to marry us (I think the same place you get copies of your birth certificate/and other gov't documents from) , but it includes our ceremony, and then the papers (marriage certifcate) We need our passport, single declaration, birth certificate (mine have to be translated in Spanish beforehand) we give those to the judge, a few days before the wedding to ensure everything is in order.

CLOTHES- His suit was purchased by a friend as a wedding present. And I had bought my dress in Cda and will be bringing it with me. Now he is renting clothes for his Mom & Dad. And also for his brother who is his best man. I am not sure of the cost, b/c he will doing that in Feb. And I'm not sure where this place is that he will be renting them from.

I think that is all the costs...If I think of any others, I'll edit and add to it.

It is alot of money, but as I wrote before...This is a big wedding, and my fiancee wanted to do it right b/c he said he's only getting married once to the love of his life, and he wants to have a good wedding. I think it will be, and am excited. We are both thrilled that our both our families and friends will be with us to celebrate our marriage, and the start of our life together.

I'm sure a smaller wedding wouldn't cost as much, but so many of my family (26 people) will be attending, and then there is his family of 40-50 and our friends that we are looking at 100 or so people.

Baileyboy

LaGorditaDominicana

Feb 8, 2006
if you can, can you please give me the website for that bridal boutique/salon/watever called "classic elegance" and the website for "novissima" if they have any websites. please and thank you.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Hi everyone,

There's a lot of info here for places in the North Coast but is anyone familiar with the area of La Romana? My fiance is taking care of everything for the wedding but just as another resource, I thought I'd ask here since I always find the members of DR1 very knowledgeable and able to help. If any of you have contact information for banquet/reception halls, florists, catering, photographers/videographers and even where we can get a judge to marry us, it would be so helpful.

We were originally thinking of doing it at a resort since much of the planning would be taken care of by the wedding coordinator at the hotel but we've decided to have it in his hometown instead and do it outside a resort. I think he pretty much has everything underway but since I'm not there to personally put in my two cents, it would be helpful to get some ideas from here. THANK YOU!

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
in Santo Domingo

Can anyone recommand a venue to hold a wedding in Santo Domingo. There will be only 15-20 guests. I want something casual and not too expansive but where we can have a room for us and a nice dinner, maybe some music.

delacruz

Dec 10, 2006
Hi my fiance is arranging a small wedding for us and the Justice in PP is charging 5000 RD for the wedding service and 3000RD for the docs to be tranlated and prepared. This is prices quoted Feb 2007 he did say the price had gone up since last year as I quiried that.

Thanks for all the useful info

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
yes it has gone up considerably even for tourists getting married on resorts, I believe it now costs them US $500.00 for documents plus plus

lunar

Jun 14, 2006
I just got married in my husbands home town (Sabana de la Mar) and the price for the wedding (although my documents are in spanish, therefore needed no translation) was 8000 RD and that was with the JP coming to the home to do the ceremony.

Outlier

Aug 14, 2011
FLOWERS- 8000 RD Includes brides bouqet, grooms boutiners, and two standing floral arrangments on either side of head table, 10 floral arrangments for guests tables, 1 head table arrangement, balloons and decorations for Hall. As well as set up of decorations at the Hall the day of. The flowers I picked out were tropical, b/c I didn't want traditional roses I can have those anywhere, I wanted tropical flowers and colors where I was getting married in the Caribbean. We got our flowers from "Jardines de Jarabacoa" Calle Baller No. 141 Tel 809-970-1100. Very nice lady, can't remember her name but she helped us find the location of Portofinos b/c she said the girl who quoted us 7000 RD was "nut's!"

Hi,

Do you know if this florist is still around and if they speak English?

Thanks!
Outlier