Well, DR, It's Been Lovely...But....

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Ohhh! ahhaha no, I was never offended! :D I've actually been told by so many DR friends that they, too, had never heard of Brucella and so many wondered why they'd never gotten it and I had! Well, I think my bad luck began 2 days after arriving in the country again (can you believe that?!!! Sheesh!) and I got the worst food poisoning ever :(

Definitely don't eat the DR cheese if you can avoid it...even though some of it is just osoooooo gooooood! I don't drink cow's milk (soy only) but I suppose even eating out at restaurants we can't always be sure here as we are at home :(

I hope you'll stay well, but if anybody here does get sick then let me know and I can refer you to my doctor in Nagua (who was great...but ok, maybe not great enough :)

Happy Christmas!!! :D

Lolitula, I cited the Louis Pasteur cause being pretty sure that you hadn't eaten rancid meat.

I was curious b/c I had never heard of Brucella before and would like to avoid it and other maladies if possible.

No slur intended . Apologies to you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks. I re-read your Brucella post and see that I chimed in there.
My wife is the one who gets hit w/ these things. I seem to skate through somehow.

I made a note of Dr Angel Duarte for reference. It may come in handy.

Our experience at the cabrera clinic was the same as yours - amoxy and cipro doses that were too light and not long enough. My wife's issues went on for months and as I said' she brought it with her from a sushi place in Philadelphia we went to the nite of our departure.

Safe trip to Ottawa - birthplace of Paul Anka for your music people,

Feilz Navidad

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I've been sick off and on, mostly on, since June. I've had what has been diagnosed as pneumonia twice over the summer. That turned into an enlarged heart. About a month and a half after that was a problem in my eye that turned into skull splitting headaches, loss of vision in one eye and an urinary tract infection. That earned me a stay in Bournigal for 5 days. I'm still not well, pressure and pain in the side of my head with the affected eye. I'm looking for a good Dr. in Santiago or Santo Domingo if anyone can recommend one. I AM SO DONE WITH BEING SICK!!!!! Thanks in advance, Corey

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Pelaut,

Nope, I mean TYPHOID (the test reads Typhoid AND Paratyphoid (Typhoid Flagelar (sp?) and Paratyphoid Somatic B. And previously Brucella Abortus, Proteus OX 19 (still positive), and 3 strains of salmonella, also adult ameobas. So. No more eating garbage for me hahahhaha ;)

You mean paratyphoids, not typhoid.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
COREYH this is TERRIBLE!!!!! I wish I knew a good doctor for this...this is very scary...have you though to return home, even temporarily, for treatment? I'd highly recommend you start a new post looking for a doctor because people on this forum are usually so helpful. Please keep me posted on your progres...I'm really sorry to hear this :(

I've been sick off and on, mostly on, since June. I've had what has been diagnosed as pneumonia twice over the summer. That turned into an enlarged heart. About a month and a half after that was a problem in my eye that turned into skull splitting headaches, loss of vision in one eye and an urinary tract infection. That earned me a stay in Bournigal for 5 days. I'm still not well, pressure and pain in the side of my head with the affected eye. I'm looking for a good Dr. in Santiago or Santo Domingo if anyone can recommend one. I AM SO DONE WITH BEING SICK!!!!! Thanks in advance, Corey

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I am comfortable with Dr. Pedro Benedicto Russo in HOMS, Santiago. I had referred couple of my friends to him and they were also happier with his treatments. Please send a PM to Hillybilly for proper guidance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
corey, go to clinica union in santiago. on the second floor there is an office of maria de leon, she is internista/cardiologo. suite 204, telephone 809 226 8686, ext 4204. she is a great GP, as i suppose you would call her and she will be able to direct you to the best doctor in union to treat your problem - if your illness is out of her field.

lolitula, last time i was sick i did not even present classic symptoms of "stomach bug". i started shaking, i could not speak nor stand up. miesposo picked me up from work and drove my zombie self directly to the hospital. as it turned out i had FIVE different types of shi**y bacteria (from salmonella to proteus, tasty!).

but then, i survived this and more. it takes time to get used to dominican climate, water, food and life. heck, first time i ate longaniza i had vomits and diarrea for a week. second time - 3 days sick. third time - 24 hours. later on i ate longaniza without adverse effects :)

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hahah well although I'm sorry for this misfortune (isn't it a bugger...kinda literally ;) ) I'm happy you are getting better now! And I know you're right, but I think also I just need my home creature comforts right about now. I came here so my daughter could know her DR dad (please, gang, no comments...I learned the lesson, even though he wanted us here :( ) and also because that was immediately following the death of my own dad...sort of a catalyst. I guess I was running away a bit, and also living in lala land that things would be amazing here.

At any rate, I'll never regret a second of it. I love the DR and most of its people ;) and all my DR1 gang!

I hope now that Corey will be better soon....

corey, go to clinica union in santiago. on the second floor there is an office of maria de leon, she is internista/cardiologo. suite 204, telephone 809 226 8686, ext 4204. she is a great GP, as i suppose you would call her and she will be able to direct you to the best doctor in union to treat your problem - if your illness is out of her field.

lolitula, last time i was sick i did not even present classic symptoms of "stomach bug". i started shaking, i could not speak nor stand up. miesposo picked me up from work and drove my zombie self directly to the hospital. as it turned out i had FIVE different types of shi**y bacteria (from salmonella to proteus, tasty!).

but then, i survived this and more. it takes time to get used to dominican climate, water, food and life. heck, first time i ate longaniza i had vomits and diarrea for a week. second time - 3 days sick. third time - 24 hours. later on i ate longaniza without adverse effects :)