Western Union Dominican Republic

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
To save money on your "XOOM" transfers, you should open a bank account here where you can send the money.
For example, if you have a "BHD" account the fees drop dramatically.
If you send more than $3,000 US a month, you have to do "Something", I don't know what, but when I tried, I couldn't.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

OK, I will call the 800 number as I send more than that and don't want to wait until the moment they reject it. I will open a BHD account when I get home.

Thanks for this information. Wish I had known this before, could've saved a ton of money and less headache with WU.

SHALENA

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Guys, thanks for all the help!

What will I need to pick up the funds?

Can I use a copy of my passport or does it have to be the original?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Been sending via WU for almost 2 years, never had a problem, just got "flagged" 2 weeks ago. Had to call in and answer stupid questions
"Why do you send money to the DR?"
"What is the relationship to you of the person you are sending money to?"
"What is your occupation?"
"What is your annual income?"
"When you send the money via WU are you taking it out of a bank account?"
"What is the birth date of the receiver?"
Etc., etc.

It was when they told me that they would have to investigate and I needed to send in bank statements, information from my job, etc when I told the person on the phone to go "f*ck himself", I make my money and I have a right to send it.

Gonna check out this xoom thing. Right now just still sending WU under the BF's name but I'm sure they will catch up to that soon as the receiver is still the same. I never had a problem until now and they have made me so mad. Gonna try MoneyGram also, anyone ever use that?

SHALENA

Xoom-maybe it works for some people-I find the service worthless-Too many guidelines-They will only send money to family members-more than likely if you can not prove that, then you will not get the money transferred.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
To save money on your "XOOM" transfers, you should open a bank account here where you can send the money.
For example, if you have a "BHD" account the fees drop dramatically.
If you send more than $3,000 US a month, you have to do "Something", I don't know what, but when I tried, I couldn't.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Xoom is only good if sending to yourself or family members, any other reasons and transaction will immediately be cancelled and they verify the information on both ends. Just had a transaction cancelled with them today as they claim that it did not meet their 'guidelines'. Most of these services just do not work as they have been pounded with compliance requirements as an obstacle to keep people from transferring their money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would NEVER send money to ANYONE else anyway!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I have lived here for so long, I once stole my own money!!!!
And then said, "No Fui Yo" when I asked myself about it!!!!!!
Now, THAT's,..."Platanado"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Moneygram is pretty cheap. Never any problems. WU however sucks. I am banned from using WU to send money. But there exchange rate is very fair.

Been sending via WU for almost 2 years, never had a problem, just got "flagged" 2 weeks ago. Had to call in and answer stupid questions
"Why do you send money to the DR?"
"What is the relationship to you of the person you are sending money to?"
"What is your occupation?"
"What is your annual income?"
"When you send the money via WU are you taking it out of a bank account?"
"What is the birth date of the receiver?"
Etc., etc.

It was when they told me that they would have to investigate and I needed to send in bank statements, information from my job, etc when I told the person on the phone to go "f*ck himself", I make my money and I have a right to send it.

Gonna check out this xoom thing. Right now just still sending WU under the BF's name but I'm sure they will catch up to that soon as the receiver is still the same. I never had a problem until now and they have made me so mad. Gonna try MoneyGram also, anyone ever use that?

SHALENA

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I pay my rent every month via WU. Same amount to the same person, USD to USD, and we're both in Bavaro.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Yes
$2999 without using the telephone more with some red tape.
Either, good luck collecting USD without a delay

****Exchange rate/FEE is TERRIBLE, use a bank wire.
$40.43 net of fees, ughhhhhhhh in other words $189 USD in the wazoo.

Xoom is better.

Ohhhh. So it turns out you have a couple mamacitas on the pay role after all. :glasses:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
just now analyzing xoom. It only makes sense for small amounts. It's cheaper to wire by a normal bank wire when amounts go up. In my case, I wire X amount monthly from a US account to banco popular (42.95 on the dollar, USD45 wireout and USD12 + 300DOP Wirein rate.)

With the current rates of xoom and popular, as soon as the amount to wire is higher than USD2037 it's better to wire by bank to popular.

In my case, even receiving dollars here, changing a part of it to pesos and buy euros with the pesos, is cheaper than send it by xoom to DR and Europe.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I've collected in dollars in La Sirena in POP. Probably had to pay in pesos because the sender so specified.
Der Fish

I also picked up US dollars with no hassle at la Sierna on Avenida Mexico in Santo Domingo. They have a insurance scam of 50 pesos in case you get robbed outside. Probably won't pay, but still a nice offer. Western Union. I picked up 1200 usd

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
I use WU online and send money regularly. I always send myself the money in dollars and have never had a problem.

Since I have an online account, I can send money straight from my US account for a small fee.

I always send in USD because I can receive the exact amount sent with paying a WU conversion fee. I change the money with whoever has the best rate. In bavaro WU gives a bad exchange rate, but here in jarabacoa it's more competitive with other exchange houses.