Wet Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I travelled on a passport for 3 years whose cover was not attached to the actual book. I got a lot of dirty looks, a lot of mixed advice as well - one guy told me to wait until it expired because declaring a "damaged" book was just as bad as a lost one, and another who told me to get a new one. But none refused passage.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my first passport was a bit worse for wear after years of abuse. i regularly had to present an additional ID with a photo. not that it made any difference as i look really bad in all my documents: from ghastly and ghostly to flesh eating zombie schoolgirl. my newest passport photo looks like this little porcelain picture of deceased person, fixed on graves in a nice oval shape and all shades of sepia. so they still ask me for a drivers license.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Not sure about American passports but for Canadian passport they always recommend it be replaced. As a few have already mentioned, the decision on accepting it or not is up to the customs agent. One of the reasons why damaged passport can be refused is simply because it might have been tempered with and the "damage" used to cover it up. You might want to check with the passport office if they would accept a passport application if you have proof that a replacement certificate has been requested along with proof of travel.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My crazy ex wife threw my passport into the ocean near Punta Cana and I swam into the water and took it out and dried it off in the hot sun. I used it for years afterwards. Passports can be used as documentation and as long as it can be swiped and the bar code can be read and the date of birth can be read and you have a driver's license and social security card. I think you can use it. You might want to check with a professional but the biggest issue I ever had was resolved as soon as I showed my license.

This.
I think if it doesn't "scan" the only problem is they will have to type in all the info into the computer. You shouldn't have any problem to enter DR. I had an old passport that didn't have the chip or even bar code, the immigration agent grunted a little because of the extra work, gave me a funny look, but they had no choice: it was still a legal passport. Besides, as long as the bar code is readable, they can scan it, no matter if the magnetic part (biometric data) of it is damaged.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Can you go to the DMV and get the card version of the Passport that is also your driver's license? I'm not sure if that works for the DR. I think you can have that as well as the regular PP.

What you speak of is a US passport card (not a driver's license). It is issued by the US State Dept-the same folks that issue passports. Exactly the same application and documentation requirements as the passport.

It is only valid for travel between the U.S. and its land borders i.e. Canada & Mexico, and for ship cruises. NOT valid for air travel.

Recommend anyone applying for a passport to also apply for the card at the same time (same application). It is very durable (waterproof) and can be used as proof of US citizenship when applying for a lost or damaged passport.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My first Passport fell in the swimming pool but I continued to be able to use it, mind you this was over 50 years ago! In those days a British passport was a nice dark blue hardback with double pages with an encouraging message at the beginning from Ernest Bevin telling foreigners not to mess with me otherwise he'd send a gunboat. How the world has changed!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I have not sent in the passport - it's not expired until 2015, so not eligible for replacement now.

An US passport and passport Card can be renewed at anytime. Some folks that fill their passports (including extra pages) renew every couple of years. Some countries give you a hard time or deny entry if you don't have several empty visa pages remaining.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update. Last night Mr. AE found one of his old, expired passports that wasn't in the safe and is therefore undamaged. With that he will be able to get a new passport.

Mugshots done this morning, off to apply for our replacements at post office tomorrow morning. Extra fee because they're "damaged", plus $60 each for expedited service. Hurricane Sandy still costing us $$$$$$$.

tmnyc, thanks for the info on the passport card, will get those too, just in case.

Very relieved, especially after we found out that it costs $345 to get a replacement Naturalization Certificate.

Moderator can close, thanks to posters for all the information and help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.