Whale watching in Samana Bay late March

Mcmanus

Feb 22, 2008
Hello All,

Will be in the DR last weekend in March and was wondering if the whales (cetaceans, not your favourite tourist nationality metaphor) will still be around in Samana Bay?

Also, would anyone be able to advise on affordable travel options from Costambar area to Samana? I am hesitant to rent a car...

Thanks for the help,

McManus

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Whale Trip

.... in March ....whales... still be around in Samana Bay?
Late in March would be a bit late...and the males would most likely be somewhat tired and thus not jump much.... ;)

...affordable travel options from Costambar area to Samana? I am hesitant to rent a car...
A sort of Scottish way of transport would be the 'guaguas'... if you're not in a hurry.

m'frog

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have talked to Kim recently (large and maybe the best whale watching operation) and it seems that everything this year is a couple of weeks behind schedule. She feels the season will peak the 1st and 2nd week in march. So the end of march may be ok this year.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The truth is, nobody really knows. The whales are wild creatures and keep their own schedule. Certainly by the last week in March many whales will have started on the migration to the north, and many others that might have spent some time earlier in Samana Bay will be on Silver Bank preparing to migrate.

Your best chance are mothers with new calves as they wait in the calm waters of the Bay until they think the calf is ready to make the long migration.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi McManus,
I think you are right about renting a car, not such a good idea if you are a first timer.

You should take the bus, Caribe Tours from Puerto Plata direct to Samana city, it's
the end of the line.
It's very affordable and a reliable service.

Happy Days.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm very interested in seeing the whales. If anyone wants to make the trip (I'm in Sosua) I'll be there the month of March. I've driven to Samana in about 3 1/2 hours, but I think the bus is the best bet according to the postings here. Is there more than one bus a day in each direction? In other words, can you do it in one day round tripping it?

Ro

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Someone posted that Caribe Tours goes direct from Puerto Plata. Is this incorrect?

Does Caribe Tours in Sosua do the same, or does that bus make a stop in Sosua?

Otherwise, the only alternative is to rent a car?

Thanks
Ro

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Frog,
Dose the bus, Carib Tours not go from Puerto Plata to Samana anymore, and if so
do you know why.....?????

Mcmanus

Feb 22, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks for the response. I contacted Kim Bedall (sp?) by email and her whale tour company has the 2008 season running to march 20th. As Ken said, it's not like the whales are following the calendar so she said to call her when I get in on the 24th.

I had also heard of this Caribe tours bus but the website is in Spanish and apparently not updated often...if anyone knows anything more about it I would be interested in hearing so.

Thanks again,

McManus

nctrader

Oct 8, 2007
Could someone post the contact information for this tour group (Kim?) or any tour group that runs whale watching trips. We're thinking of going the last full weekend in March, if the Whales are still out and about.
Thanks!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Whalesamana.com is Kim?s site. Her vessel is named Victoria and runs from the government dock on the Malecon.

Hooley

Dec 7, 2004
Suggest you give Kim at Victoria Marine a call. I think all the whales are gone and I am not even sure she is doing anymore trips this year. If you Google you will come up with a phone number.

Don't think you can do it in one day by bus. A private bus company runs between Sousi and Samana/ It leaves Sousi police station at six am.

Igunana (sp?) Mama does day tours with the whales out of the North Coast. Again do a Google

Hooley

Dec 7, 2004
Let me clarify...in season Igunana Mama takes people by bus to Samana to see the whales and they do this in one day. I am sure there would be lots of tour operators doing the same thing. But, they may also have stopped the tours by now.