What About Your Saucepans? New DR book by our own Matilda!

james

Jan 14, 2002
I ordered mine as well..looking forward to this.

order Number: 106-7339651-7159456
1 item will be shipped to James by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Mar. 1, 2013

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, this book is about mat, hence the gun on the cover, because she was shot. the ocean, because she used to be a diving instructor. and a drink. because i have never seen her sober ;)

when you write your book you can put that on a cover :) :
2re78k8.jpg

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It's on my Amazon wishlist. Have to buy a couple things for my boy first, then it is Matilda's turn :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks DV8 for your interesting and almost true explanation. There is a chance you might not see me sober if you would let me spend time in the wardrobe in your spare bedroom.

Mat

May 29, 2006
I'm up for the Kindle edition.

People who complain about how bored they are in the DR might be spending too much time on the internet. I can't recall any Dominican ever complaining about being bored. Come to think of it, compared to Americans, Dominicans hardly ever complain about trivial matters.

Always more interested in non-fiction than fiction.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here's my review:

Riveting Expat Memoir with a Sting in the Tail
Readers will recognize the familiar elements of a good expat memoir – the triumphant sense of liberation at escaping from the greyness and cold rat race to the warm, slow-paced tropical idyll, the baffling experience of culture shock, the author’s perceptive and witty observations about her adopted country’s quirks as well as a good dose of self-deprecating humour at her own expense when recounting her initial misadventures and misunderstandings as a ‘gringa’ in a strange land.

The sting in the tail in What About Your Saucepans? is that unlike the expats we’ve read about in Tuscany and Provence, Lindsay’s dream-come-true suddenly turns very sour: not just once but twice. In both cases, in very different ways, the sequence of events is truly nightmarish in that every time it seems as if things are finally getting resolved, another unforeseen and unbelievable complication arises.

And in contrast with what one would imagine most people doing in her situation, Lindsay doesn’t seriously consider the option of upping sticks and leaving for the safety, predictability and comfort of her home country. She was determined to stick it out and that’s what makes the reading so absolutely riveting.

Lindsay endured the most incredible adversities with zero self-pity and happily is with us to tell the tale. In fact, the writing of the book is what has helped her make sense of it all. Although it’s clear that her love and respect for her adopted country hardly wavered in the process, she never particularly idealises the Dominican Republic nor is sentimental about its people – she acknowledges and understands the complexities of poverty, injustice, corruption and their consequences, as someone who has had to tackle them head-on.

At times, readers will shake their heads at the frustrations and laugh at some of the absurd situations and statements the author recounts. But more than anything they will marvel at Lindsay’s remarkable resilience and positive spirit. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I checked Barnes and Nobles and they are selling the book.Since I have a membership
card I decided to go along with B&N and I just placed my order.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Amazon just updated expected delivery date for the book from March 1st to February 25th...less than a week away.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just received this:

Your Amazon.com order of "What About Your Saucepans?" has shipped!

HAHAHA!!!

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for letting me know. I really don't understand this publishing lark. Not supposed to be published until 27th February, but great they have done it early. Please let me know what you think, and if you like it please write a review on Amazon.

Matilda