What are we going to do (fuel prices)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
OK, I apparently missed the news. How much are prices going up and when does it take effect? Will this affect all fuels or only gasoline?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Taxation effects all fuels.
and like above stated, the prob is not that driving around in a private car/jeepeta get's more expensive, a own car is in many cases simply a luxury, who can't efford it should not have it, the ones who can will pay any going rate per gallon.
the prob here is that with raising costs for fuel everything get's more expensive, everything needed for the basic daily life, electricity is produced with fuel, all goodies are transported with fuel consuming vehicles on the road, so the rice goes up, the beer, the smokes, the chicken, the water and everything else like always when in history the fuel prices rbeen raised for what ever reason, Taxes or Intl market doesn't matter, it goes with all rates together.
if they lift it really up a 20-30% we can just hope that closely afterwards not the Crude prices on the Market for that thingy go up significantly, too, that would add to the Taxes risings.
a simple Liter of Listamilk could easily go from 50 pesos on 70-90 pesos due such.
and that's the real hard effect on people in the country,
even the ones who do not own Luxuries like a Car.
did the discussion about the need of raising wages already start?
ooh,
be assured that the Public Transport Unions will raise the Fares at the same second the fuel costs more at the Gas stations.
I know it is different with the Public Transports in the Cities,
but here in Bavaro/Punta Cana I would not know even one public Bus running on anything else than Diesel.
cheers
Mike

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
You are arguing that crude oil can demand any price as through it was an inelastic good. Even if that were true, which it is not (I.E.-The drop of Crude from $148 to $30 a barrel in 2008), you inflationistas out there are forewarned that what the Gubermint takes away in increased taxation is going to have a real and detrimental impact to the overall growth of the economy in DR. In other words, there is no free lunch. Brace for impact as a result of probably the dumbest thing I have seen yet in this country other than the never ending energy crisis. It's amazing what levels stupidity can be taken to in the DR. Just when you thought they outdid themselves, they come up with something even more outlandish. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Amen to everything you just said. and then our government has the audacity to call it "indexation" whatever the hell that means. which in my words means we want to pocket more money than we are already stealing from the working public. and for the person that said they would buy gas at $500 pesos a gallon good luck to you. that means that on a say for example honda civic with a 13 gallon tank you are willing to pay $6500 pesos for a fill up again $6500!!! for a tank which is about $175 dollars a tank.....god help us. get ready for huelgas, protests, higher food prices, more thieves, more delinquency and the list goes on and on and on.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Amen to everything you just said. and then our government has the audacity to call it "indexation" whatever the hell that means. which in my words means we want to pocket more money than we are already stealing from the working public. and for the person that said they would buy gas at $500 pesos a gallon good luck to you. that means that on a say for example honda civic with a 13 gallon tank you are willing to pay $6500 pesos for a fill up again $6500!!! for a tank which is about $175 dollars a tank.....god help us. get ready for huelgas, protests, higher food prices, more thieves, more delinquency and the list goes on and on and on.

like always when the Gas Price goes up.
but it always went Up.
it is exactly that what will happen, again, nothing New or out of the Ordinary.
Mike

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
first of all... thanks to a friend lending me his moto for a month, while he went back to the states, I could compare fuel-consumption between CB's huge guagua, and this moto...

take into account that I rode the moto more, than the guagua because it took more trips to get everything back to the house (I'm not dominicanised enough to transport one of those waterbottles, 2 bags of ice, and the rest of the groceries at one time on a moto, especially as towards my house I have to negotiate a 20% downhill slope with a dirt road)...

difference in fuelbills... 350rds for the moto against 3000 for the guagua...

safety???... no probs at all.. but if it was my moto I would have preferred to leave the mirrors on...

I can keep saying it... but most won't listen anyways... there are rules in this country regarding traffic... yes, I admit, these are not the official rules, but follow the rules as described in CB's 2 wheels in paradise, and you are safe... (he posted them sometime ago, and it is a great and hilarious article and a must to every new driver in this country...)

btw... fuel prices in Belgium at this moment... 265 rds per gallon for diesel, close to 300 for gasoline...

biodiesel made out of used cooking grease... the dutch tried it in force... and then spent huge amounts in repairbills to exchange filters etc... (the engine can take it without probs, but the filters and the lines cannot... unfortunately)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of the major issues is that the government is constantly over pricing fuel so as to garner more tax monies. Right now we should be paying around RD$100 a gallon for gasoline and RD$90 for diesel= According to the LAW hahaah..

With the indexation everything will go up,,,the cost of living will go up.

I do expect that politically speaking, the opposition should be able to pound this issue and probably cause a major strike or two..

However, the PLD government is commited to this by the IMF Stand By agreement of last year...

they just denied it until the elections were over..

HB