What bird is this

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Muarico ,
It the USAMFUSAMAL Burd - very rare! If you dont know what it is just "google it "

Olly and the Team

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Finally spotted it...it's a small bird and flies around all the time, can't take a picture. (If my family back home hears I'm trying to take a picture of a bird they'll say: that poor guy is dead bored in DR).

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
If you're familiar w/my "Beach Fish Market" thread then you know I spend some time on the beach. Weekdays are my preferred days so I hadn't been there for awhile until yesterday and today. I'm always looking to photograph some low flying pelican-type birds to add to the thread as they put on a show for the tourists when they dive in to catch fish. Point is, I'm always looking for flying objects.

Well, these last two days a different type bird has joined the beach air traffic. Yes, it is hawkish looking, but I hadn't connected them to Mauricio's nighthawk until one flew directly over my head this afternoon. The markings under its wing were strikingly evident. They generally seem to be flying north above and following the sand line, although I've seen a couple flying south over the water. The northerly flow would support a S. America point of origin. Mating season maybe?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Finally spotted it...it's a small bird and flies around all the time, can't take a picture. (If my family back home hears I'm trying to take a picture of a bird they'll say: that poor guy is dead bored in DR).

This bird I saw on the beach is not that small. It's hawk-size. And yeah, ditto on the family thing. I do have a life, , , I do have a life, , , I do have a life.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This bird I saw on the beach is not that small. It's hawk-size. And yeah, ditto on the family thing. I do have a life, , , I do have a life, , , I do have a life.

Would need a few more details to get that one.. Like colour and shape of wings etc. There are many different coastline birds this time of year. If it's not that big it could be a Lapwing or one of the Terns, usually in flocks. (Every good Tern deserves another)
The Hawks prefer grasslands to hover over and often in pairs at the moment.

I did see a couple of Frigates on the North coast the other day. Common in Samana and the south but not so much this end.They are pretty big with a pointy tail and jagged-looking wings.
A fantastic bird in many ways..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In dutch The nighthawk is called 'nightswallow'. Hawk is kind of a confusing name for this bird that looks and flies like a swallow. Is it related to a swallow?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Would need a few more details to get that one.. Like colour and shape of wings etc. There are many different coastline birds this time of year. If it's not that big it could be a Lapwing or one of the Terns, usually in flocks. (Every good Tern deserves another)
The Hawks prefer grasslands to hover over and often in pairs at the moment.

I did see a couple of Frigates on the North coast the other day. Common in Samana and the south but not so much this end.They are pretty big with a pointy tail and jagged-looking wings.
A fantastic bird in many ways..

Probably right about the hawk-looking birds. There were definitely markings under the wings on the one I described, though. The frigates aren't great on looks, but once you get past that they're awesome. Like I mentioned, I'm trying to photograph them in some representative way..

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
In dutch The nighthawk is called 'nightswallow'. Hawk is kind of a confusing name for this bird that looks and flies like a swallow. Is it related to a swallow?

Ah..
Dutch.

I don't think so. It's a hawk family. Nasty predator with sharp beak and claws..............Close to a Kestrel, I guess, in looks.

(Now you'll have to look up Kestrel.)

Aug 6, 2006
Bats do chirp, but most of them chirp at such a high range that humans cannot hear them. Or so I was told by a guy who did research on bats in Belize who called himself the "Batman of Belize". I was holed up with him in a torrential rainstorm in Punta Gorda in 1981 along with another guy who broke a leg and was being flown to the hospital on the next Maya Airways Beechcraft. The Batman of Belize had about 70 bats in his backpack. The one I saw were were small and ugly leaf nosed bats. They looked as though they had run into a propeller. Ghastly ugly pug faces.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
81386120.BmE9hRFE.AntilleanNighthawkQuerequeque03.JPG

i guess you are right...(i know NOTHING about birds).

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
I also wondered. In the campo at night, i heard a chirp, and suddenly i saw something that flew by so fast. all i know that it looked white or grey. but it was like a fast blur. I thought it was a bat. after i saw a picture of the antillean nighthawk on google image, i saw one with a white underbelly. Im now convinced it was a nighthawk I saw that night.