What cheap android phone? What prepaid service?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Castle, will any of those carriers activate a CDMA iPhone4 I bring from the states?

Not sure about the Iphone 4, but I brought down a 4s from Sprint and it was a huge pain. They were trying to charge me 4k to supposedly get it unlocked and it wasn't going to be 100 sure whether it will work properly. I ended up selling it as is for cheap. I still made money as it only cost me 49 USD, but I wouldn't do it again. Now if the phone is from Verizon then I think it's easier as from what I understand Verizon does not mess with the sim card.

Also you guys should be aware that Claro is slowly getting rid of their CDMA towers. I had a blackberry (CDMA) that is activated with Claro. It used to work, but now it gets no service in Cotui and surrounding areas. Only in Santo Domingo was I able to get service with it. So GSM is the way to go and I would only get phones from AT&T or T-Mobile in The US.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Not sure about the Iphone 4, but I brought down a 4s from Sprint and it was a huge pain. They were trying to charge me 4k to supposedly get it unlocked and it wasn't going to be 100 sure whether it will work properly. I ended up selling it as is for cheap. I still made money as it only cost me 49 USD, but I wouldn't do it again. Now if the phone is from Verizon then I think it's easier as from what I understand Verizon does not mess with the sim card.

Also you guys should be aware that Claro is slowly getting rid of their CDMA towers. I had a blackberry (CDMA) that is activated with Claro. It used to work, but now it gets no service in Cotui and surrounding areas. Only in Santo Domingo was I able to get service with it. So GSM is the way to go and I would only get phones from AT&T or T-Mobile in The US.
Those that have gone away from ebay or wants a faster shipping, there's pretty good deal pops up now and then for new but old contract free phones on hsn.com. I was going to buy one for my wife but I am going to wait and see what Nexus 5 has to offer, and if rumor is true Sony will do one hack of job on it.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
All I know is that to call abroad with Claro you firts have to dial +11.

Why am I saying that, all my contacts are stored with their country code following their numbers, por ejemplo:

+1 305 ...

I can't call nobody on Claro like that, I first have to write their number and then dial +11 1 305 ...

Just something small but very very annoying especialy if you're calling a lot abroad. So that's why I'm on Orange.

Me being taca?o could also let you know that internet is cheaper through Orange.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
All I know is that to call abroad with Claro you firts have to dial +11.

Why am I saying that, all my contacts are stored with their country code following their numbers, por ejemplo:

+1 305 ...

I can't call nobody on Claro like that, I first have to write their number and then dial +11 1 305 ...

Just something small but very very annoying especialy if you're calling a lot abroad. So that's why I'm on Orange.

Me being taca?o could also let you know that internet is cheaper through Orange.
Strange....

My Claro works without dialing 11. I just dial 1-201-xxx-xxxx and it goes though every time. It could be your phone setting? If I was you. I'll have someone look into that if you call US a lot and if it bothers you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Strange....

My Claro works without dialing 11. I just dial 1-201-xxx-xxxx and it goes though every time. It could be your phone setting? If I was you. I'll have someone look into that if you call US a lot and if it bothers you.

Me too - just 1+area code+#. Works every time on Claro.