What do to with Dealership financed car? need to leave DR!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry for your predicament, man. FWIW, Gorgon and Cobraboy, among others, are the most knowledgeable people on this board for everything involving vehicles. I'd put a lot of value on their advice.

thanks, DRob. seems a little late for the OP....

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Hey when you woke up this morning all you found was busted glass where your car was parked ..... you know the rest

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
:devious:If the mechanic friend said the car was crap and was soon to fail...take it on a trip up some steep mountain roads and it just might spontaneously  combust and get reduced to ashes while you eat chicharrones with a Presidente at a roadside colmado. It happens...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi...hope you can give me a bit of advice.  Long story short.
Moved here in Aug 2016...Bought a truck= piece of junk, ripped off!.  Friend offered to help me "trade-in" truck and get a newer more reliable car and just make monthly payments.  Went to dealership...got a nice car...while waiting for it to be cleaned and spruced all up....minutes before leaving lot they put the new battery in BACKWARDS!  Thereby blowing out all the electrical and continuing to say "no hay problema".  Well they WAS a "problema"  LOTS of them.  We had a one month "guarantee " which essentially meant, come back every week and we will fix all the problems with black tape. Finally, we got another friend who is a big wig of sorts in town to threaten them and forced them to give us another car...they did and of course changed an outrageous amount for it. Per our mechanic (who YES! we asked if he could ck the cars our prior to purchase but were told no) says this car is also crap and will soon fail also.  Sooooo....my question.....

I'm BROKE...really really in a hole thanks to this situation among others that have happened since arrival.  Our family has decided that for us living here is a real money pit and simply can't continue.  I need to leave.  

So, what do I do with this car now????  My mechanic says if I just leave it and not pay...it will destroy my "credit".  Which I'm not too concerned about.  A friend suggested...taking it to the dealership for an oil change and never coming back. It's theirs anyway, technically.  

My problem with most of these scenarios and my biggest concern is...my friends who helped us initially (native Dominicans).  The dealership has their info...phone and address etc. as a "reference" for us. (they are NOT on the loan, car NOT in their name at all)  I just don't want them being dragged through this or being bugged by collectors...in case DR might functions like US and other countries when you owe debt. Will they be threaten or bugged by a collector even though its not their car or in their name, nor are a co-signer.

Any ideas? 
PS: Thought of just selling it and paying off loan BUT there is a high prepayment penalty! 

I assume that the title for the car is still is the dealerships name? Bring it back and tell them they can take the vehicle because you can no longer make payments. You have already screwed up the situation don't complicate it any further. By the way, maybe you should find another place to "vacay".