What happens now if someone wants to stay for between 5 and 6 months in the DR?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, I understand your point, but my question is not premature because people want to know the answer to that very question and they would like that answer now.

Well, windeguy, the answer will not be found on DR1 because the answer doesn't seem to have been decided yet. Both Fabio and PICHARDO, the only posters who seem to be somewhat knowledgeable have said there is still a lot to be worked out. I'm afraid you will have to wait.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
At the moment in Sosua when Politure and Immigration pick up illegal Haitians, they bring them back to the station, tell them they have to pay 1000 pesos and then release them. If they don't pay the 1000 pesos, they bring back to the border. This goes on every few months. It's a cash and corrupt society so I doubt any official deportation for over staying will happen. Probably more of a threat than anything. ...

This is not the same thing, the Haitians are not trying to leave the D.R., they are being "targeted" by the police for cash.

What we need to know is what will happen when a person who over stays goes to the airport to leave.
Will they be "flagged" and refused re-entry if they return?

Only time will tell, mean while, many are on "pins and needles" as they have vacation homes here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This has to be one of the supidest situations I have ever witnessed....only in the DR would there be such a confused situation over something so important. Did they not think this out before enacting it? I thought you put a law together, inform every one, then enact it?

I think that is basically what would have happened if PICHARDO had not dumped this whole load on us. This thread was started by Fabio, but only after PICHARDO started his thread.

We got in on this before anything was finalized. If it had not been for PICHARDO, we would not be having these discussions and we would be unaware of what was coming down the pike

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
NO NO not Panama. There is a guy from the USA living in Panama for over 6 years now on a passport. Panama I think he told me you can be in Panama for 6 months on a visa. Sometimes he comes back to the USA but he and his family just fly over to Costa Rica for a week and return to Panama City. The guy can talk his way out of anything. Once we parked in front of the French Embassy in Casco Viejo and I knew we going to be in trouble because signs are everywhere. We were only gone for 5 mins, and when we returned 2 policemen were standing next to the car. He started talking to them and within 30 seconds they were laughing like old buddies.

Many of you have been living in the Dominican Republic for YEARS and some of you do not know how to talk your way into staying 6 months to a year in the DR. What happen to all the talk about is not what you know but who you know.

In a NUTSHELL the Dominican Republic is letting all NON Dominicans know you are either a TOURIST or a RESIDENT no more gray in this issue.

After 180 days in Panama you have to leave for 72 hrs and then you can return and stay another 180 days.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Well, windeguy, the answer will not be found on DR1 because the answer doesn't seem to have been decided yet. Both Fabio and PICHARDO, the only posters who seem to be somewhat knowledgeable have said there is still a lot to be worked out. I'm afraid you will have to wait.

If it hasn't been worked out as of yet.................
Any current KNOWLEDGE would be misleading and proportionately incorrect..........

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This situation is like the statement in the news a few weeks back:

They were talking about taking away the guns from "LEGAL" permit holders and stated that most gun crimes are by people with "ILLEGAL" guns.

So, punish all the tourists and those with residency because some come here to cause problems.

That fits in with the normal dumb logic in this country.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think the DR will tread softly with this. If they cause incidents with US citizens on tourist cards or visas who own property in the DR, they will have to expect reciprocation by the US for those Dominicans with tourist visas to the US. We all know it is the Dominican elite who hold those visas. They will never let their government screw up their access to the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
when you say---will they let me do it, who is they? the immigration people at the airport never ask how long you are going to be staying and if they started, you can say 2 weeks and they know no better. and do you really think that the govt is going to hire thousands of people to form a deportee police force whose only function will be to search the entire country looking for people who have over stayed their alloted time?

There is no need to search the country. If they want to know, they will find out when the people try to leave the country.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
when you say---will they let me do it, who is they? the immigration people at the airport never ask how long you are going to be staying and if they started, you can say 2 weeks and they know no better. and do you really think that the govt is going to hire thousands of people to form a deportee police force whose only function will be to search the entire country looking for people who have over stayed their alloted time?
You obviously don't understand the question as posted. The OP is in fear if he overstays and then presents at the airport at a later date to go home for a visit. In the past he simply paid an overstay "fine". He now fears being not allowed to return in the future as he is now a deportee, a voluntary deportee, but still a deportee by statute.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think the DR will tread softly with this. If they cause incidents with US citizens on tourist cards or visas who own property in the DR, they will have to expect reciprocation by the US for those Dominicans with tourist visas to the US. We all know it is the Dominican elite who hold those visas. They will never let their government screw up their access to the US.

I agree, I don't think they will prevent them from using the property they have purchased in the DR.

They didn't like it when the US State Department put out a travel advisory because people bringing money into the country were being robbed when leaving the airport, and they won't like it when the State Department puts out a travel advisory because people who bought property in the DR are not allowed to make use of it.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
A few weeks ago they tried to pass a law saying they would not educate children who did not have papers (basically haitian kids) Leonel had to call an emergency meeting with the Minister of immigration and the law was changed !! HMMM wonder why masbe because the heads of the suger cane plantations (the real money men ) did not like the law because it would effect their bottom line. I would think the Sindicos of Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata and other towns that are full of expats should be worried as well.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Yes
lets wait for " Dont kill the goose........ golden egg... " emergency meeting
Manu

Feb 7, 2007
Yes
lets wait for " Dont kill the goose........ golden egg... " emergency meeting
Manu

Well, there IS a meeting called for this coming week ...
Gobierno convoca el Consejo de Migraci?n - DiarioLibre.com

SANTO DOMINGO. El ministro de Interior y Polic?a, Jos? Ram?n Fadul, convoc? ayer para la pr?xima semana el Consejo Nacional de Migraci?n para analizar varios aspectos relacionados con los ciudadanos extranjeros que viven en el pa?s.

Feb 7, 2007
You obviously don't understand the question as posted. The OP is in fear if he overstays and then presents at the airport at a later date to go home for a visit. In the past he simply paid an overstay "fine". He now fears being not allowed to return in the future as he is now a deportee, a voluntary deportee, but still a deportee by statute.

Again, as I wrote before, right now nothing changed to the exit fee payment scheme. Also you can still extend your stay in Migracion in SD by paying your overstay (if any).

Things being as there are, even if they start "flagging" in the future, knowing how these people are, there for sure will come time of "waivers" to not-flag for a payment of some small "fee", say 100 greens. Come on people, thousands of Haitians cross daily to DR paying "fees" and "tolls", don't you think IN CASE something like "flagging" comes into action (which will not be tomorrow, or next week or next month) the "tolls" will be also available to the "overstayers"?

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Many of you have been living in the Dominican Republic for YEARS and some of you do not know how to talk your way into staying 6 months to a year in the DR. What happen to all the talk about is not what you know but who you know.

In a NUTSHELL the Dominican Republic is letting all NON Dominicans know you are either a TOURIST or a RESIDENT no more gray in this issue.

Yep.. The law if fully implemented will reveal all the DR1 emperors with no clothes