What if the DR was in northern South America or in Central America?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These are the temps from a moment ago. The redder, the hotter. Yikes!

JV0yLFa.jpg

JV0yZ8v.jpg

Northern Central America

JV0yD9R.jpg

Middle Central America

JV0yQcJ.jpg

Southern Central America.

JV0ymwN.jpg

Greater Antilles. Notice, DR & Haiti has the most land with cool to cold weather.

JV0ybup.jpg

DR. The biggest blob of cool weather is almost the size of Puerto Rico!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well compare the DR to Alaska. It makes no sense to compare it because it is an island here in the Caribbean.
And since it shows about equivalent to Dallas something is wrong because Dallas is quite cool right now, reaching maybe 70 degrees in the day and dipping into the 50s at night

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Nal's,
You are aware that last year the DR had above previous average temperatures.
May to October many days were 31-35C

No reason to believe it won't be the same this year.

Not to forget water shortages and people absolutely making no effort to conserve water consumption.
If one has renters with water included even worse.
Doing laundry in antiquated machines every day.
Modern front loading machines use a minimum of water.

Heat is coming!
Advanced countries pose limits on water consumption, watering lawns and gardens.
Repair leaking faucets.
I have neighbours with illegally installed tapped lines, which are dumping water continuously.

Just in case some don't get it.
Water consumption is related to heat in the DR.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Nal's,

Not to forget water shortages and people absolutely making no effort to conserve water consumption.

Heat is coming!
Advanced countries pose limits on water consumption, watering lawns and gardens.
Repair leaking faucets.
I have neighbours with illegally installed tapped lines, which are dumping water continuously.

There is at least one member here who will disagree with every word you have said about temperatures getting higher or the need to conserve water in the DR. I'm with you!

Reactions: Gadfly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nal's,

Heat is coming!
Repair leaking faucets.

EU climate service: February 2024 hottest on record; ninth straight record-breaking month​

I wonder what will happen in the DR to mitigate the ever rising temperatures?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Nal's,

Heat is coming!
Repair leaking faucets.

Conserve water? Corraplata not fixing leaks wastes more than any barrio in the Country. Come to Los Cerros I'll show you leaks they were provided money to fix and it's a river in the street

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nal's,

That’s the case everywhere temperatures have been kept. I do wonder what effect can be attributed simply to urbanization. If the station to measure the Santo Domingo temps in the 1970’s was in an area with hardly any development and now is all concrete in all directions from the station, it goes without saying the average temps registered now will be higher than in the 1970’s. Those areas would also have something it didn’t had before: city island heat.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That’s the case everywhere temperatures have been kept. I do wonder what effect can be attributed simply to urbanization. If the station to measure the Santo Domingo temps in the 1970’s was in an area with hardly any development and now is all concrete in all directions from the station, it goes without saying the average temps registered now will be higher than in the 1970’s. Those areas would also have something it didn’t had before: city island heat.
The older heat models used by NASA and Environment Canada didn’t reflect the influence of the environment where the temperature data was being collected. The new models do. Concrete and asphalt environments(heat sinks), rural environments with forests (heat dissipators), and coastal zones where the ocean moderates temperatures.

The worldwide temperature data currently being analyzed from last year confirms we have exceeded the initial target of a 1.5 degree temperature rise limit discussed at the Paris Accord meetings 20 years ago, and we are well on our way to a 3 degree rise.

Mitigation will be the most viable way to adjust to the climate change but poorer nations can’t afford to pay those costs. imagine the cost of a coastal levee extending from the New England states to the Gulf. As XQT posted potable water will be the crucial issue for the DR. You can’t dam every river in the DR. Water conservation is a better long term approach. Unfortunately the DR government is reactive, not proactive.