What is holding back tourism in Puerto Plata?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not so sure it's the tourist 100%. Most of them, the Euros and Canuckians at least and to a lesser extent the Ugly Americans, are downstream of the logjam.

It's the travel agents who are unenamoured with POP and the entire North Coast. Why? For the reasons that have been beaten to death on DR1: hookers, crime, attitudes, old resorts, etc.

It's THEY who direct most tourists elsewhere.

So the real question: How do the stakeholders of tourism in the North Coast fall back into favor of travel and tour agents?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
why on earth do you get this so clearly, and all the high dollar tourism functionaries in the DR have no clue? you are so right. there are guys who are offered tours to the DR who have to go to google to find the DR. they have no idea of what, or where, it is. Cuba markets a brand, like Jamaica does. as you say, Jamaica is known for Bob Marley, great reggae music in general, the big spliff, and jerk chicken. what is the DR known for that attracts people? girls. that's what. forget trying to make it attractive as a destination, and stick with what works.

Europeans, Canadians and some Americans very well know where the DR is.
Punta Cana with luxury AI hotels and it's beaches is working very well.
Playa Dorada's beaches and sand fleas will never equal PC.
Sosua and Cabarete work for their own reasons, including long stay, retirement and for some the girls are an attraction.
For residents of the US and Canadian west coast, PC or POP is not a bargain destination.
AI's to Mexico are much more reasonable with short flights.
Mexico has major archeological sites, historic cities, great food and budget accommodation if desired.
For west coasters and Europeans the DR is a long haul flight, one has to be willing to spend extra time and money to arrive.
As you state there is a multitude of other well established Caribbean destinations.
Competition for the tourist $ is great and money in short supply.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rep Dom has a bad rap. Even Dominicans go to other places for vacation. There five star resorts are all in Punta Cana. There isnt alot of places that are a magnet for non spanish speaking people to visit. Mexico has Cancun and Cabo that are packed with gringos. Most of the other islands have english language as the main lingo. Cuba has the mystique. When I went to rent a car the lady in the travel agency told me I was crazy to drive in the DR and she was Dominican. I had heard that there were some developers looking at Playa Dorada to make it a tiemeshare or develop into some type of PUD any news of that?

There are a lot of things the DR could do better, including improved advertising. The DR is very popular with Canadians, as is every warm destination. I know many Canadians that return to the DR every year for the past ten plus years.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not so sure it's the tourist 100%. Most of them, the Euros and Canuckians at least and to a lesser extent the Ugly Americans, are downstream of the logjam.

It's the travel agents who are unenamoured with POP and the entire North Coast. Why? For the reasons that have been beaten to death on DR1: hookers, crime, attitudes, old resorts, etc.

It's THEY who direct most tourists elsewhere.

So the real question: How do the stakeholders of tourism in the North Coast fall back into favor of travel and tour agents?

100% correct. tour operators control international tourism. they virtually decide where the airline seats go. their profit margins are minimal per seat sold, so the economics of the destination are critical. they have no time to waste pleading with a particular destination to clean up its act. they just take the show elsewhere. once a destination collapses, like POP, it is very hard to get it back on track, because the operators are faced with the risk of trying to promote a destination that has already failed, when they could be looking elsewhere for either proven successes, or potential successes. POP has a daunting task ahead.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is your daughter the product of the American SCHOOL SYSTEM?

whether or not the lack of awareness about the Dominican Republic is the fault of deficient education systems, that is irrelevant, and absolutely peripheral to the issue. the fact is that the lack of awareness exists. that is what matters, not WHY it exists.