What is wrong with the water?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No, filtering is not enough. Only reversal osmosis that is very expensive. .

According to a recent conversation I had with our esteemed Norma Rosa in Salcedo, she has had the water lab tested by professional and it came out to be within US standards for drinking water.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
what about catching rainwater for drinking water

It is MUCH better and safer than tap water.

Just to make sure that water-collecting reservoires are not contaminated and tightly covered.

I distill water for over ten years and very happy. Thank you, Paul Bragg!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
According to a recent conversation I had with our esteemed Norma Rosa in Salcedo, she has had the water lab tested by professional and it came out to be within US standards for drinking water.

Hopefully so!

But after long and in-depth research of the matter I have serious doubts. No insult nor disrespect intended at all!

I do not believe in instant miracles that cost only pennies likewise I do not believe in TV commercials.

High quality cleanning of water requires a very sophisticated and complicated process. There is no way around.

85% of american bottled water go from the tap. Admitted many times officially. If these standards refer to it - I would not be satisfied with them.

The danger of contaminated water is that contamination builds up in the body for years before showing up lethally. Not a one-time sharp poisonning.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use agua internacional, in POP. 34 pesos for 5 gallons.
i never drink water anyway so no clue if it tastes good.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully so!

But after long and in-depth research of the matter I have serious doubts. No insult nor disrespect intended at all!

I do not believe in instant miracles that cost only pennies likewise I do not believe in TV commercials.

High quality cleanning of water requires a very sophisticated and complicated process. There is no way around.

85% of american bottled water go from the tap. Admitted many times officially. If these standards refer to it - I would not be satisfied with them.

The danger of contaminated water is that contamination builds up in the body for years before showing up lethally. Not a one-time sharp poisonning.

AK74's comment about American bottled water being from the tap is true, though not complete. Coca-Cola, which is the bottler and distributor for Dasani water, among other things, does use tap water. However, the water is then put through a reverse osmosis process, and minerals are added for flavor.

Other companies use similar techniques to further purify and customize their bottled water products.

So while they do start with water from the tap - which comes from a natural source, of course - they do further purify it.

Oddly enough, bottled water is one of Coke's most profitable ventures. Something about low product costs...:glasses:

DRob

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
From what I read in newspapers and online consumer groups -- water goes to bottles right from the municipal tap.

But maybe they lie and what you say is correct. I do not trust newspapers myself.

HH!

AK74's comment about American bottled water being from the tap is true, though not complete. Coca-Cola, which is the bottler and distributor for Dasani water, among other things, does use tap water. However, the water is then put through a reverse osmosis process, and minerals are added for flavor.

Other companies use similar techniques to further purify and customize their bottled water products.

So while they do start with water from the tap - which comes from a natural source, of course - they do further purify it.

Oddly enough, bottled water is one of Coke's most profitable ventures. Something about low product costs...:glasses:

DRob

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
11hgqw6.jpg

That's Coca-Cola's bottled water.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Here is the name of the water company: Sistema Universal de Agua, SA. (Margarita Camilo: 809-547-3758, cell: 809-816-0820).

I have well water, so this company will be installing a filter system (Puricom) that will render this water potable. It is not cheap. They do go to the home and test the water for free. While at my house, they tested three other waters from different sources. Of two bottled water they tested, one (Crystal) was found safe to drink, the other was not very safe (I don't recall its name). They also tested the rain water that collects in a tank and found it safe to drink also. A chlorine pill is added to this tank once a month.

Many ferreter?as carry filters for tap water. I saw some of them at Ferreter?a Ochoa, in Santiago.

http://water-treatment.benlions.com/

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

DRob

If it still is of interest.
Straight from the tap. With all the bacteria and dirt. No filtering. No purification. No R.Osmosis. No any other treatment. Nada.

"Tap - Bottle- 1 900% Profit"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081015/ap_on_sc/impure_bottled_water

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
If it still is of interest.
Straight from the tap. With all the bacteria and dirt. No filtering. No purification. No R.Osmosis. No any other treatment. Nada.

"Tap - Bottle- 1 900% Profit"

Bottled water has contaminants too, study finds - Yahoo! News

So are you now recommending filtered tap water as the article referenced by your link does? Or, are you of the opinion the bottled water industry here in the Dominican Republic operates on a higher standard than it does in the US?

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Here, in California, I like getting my drinking water from Watermill Express machines.

2cncnbl.jpg

You've discovered the best tasting water available anywhere!
Watermill Express provides you and your family with healthy, delicious pure drinking water 24-hours a day without the waste of disposable bottles. Bring your own clean containers and see why thousands have switched to Watermill Express. If taste, cleanliness, and convenience are important to you, Watermill Express is your answer.

Watermill Express water is rigorously tested according to State Health Department regulations. And that's not all, our Fail-Safe™ automatic shut-down system monitors water quality around-the-clock. Plus, Watermill Express is the first water purification company in the nation to service EVERY LOCATION, EVERY DAY! At Watermill Express, we care about the water you drink.

WatermillExpress.com

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
So are you now recommending filtered tap water as the article referenced by your link does? Or, are you of the opinion the bottled water industry here in the Dominican Republic operates on a higher standard than it does in the US?

I recommend to read Paul Bragg on water and use distiller. It is very cheap and gives quality of water purification higher than $5 000 US R Osmosis systems .

villaleone

Apr 28, 2005
AK74 IS CORRECT THAT DISTILLED WATER IS THE CLEANEST, PUREST WATER THAT CAN BE OBTAINED.

The downside is the maintenance and cleaning of the tank that must be done regularly and the electrical elements tend to burn out quickly in the DR due to the brown power. There are also studies that raise concerns about possible negative health effects from the 0 mineral content of distilled water. Some say it pulls a lot of toxins as well as vitamins from th body, so...who really knows?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to buy a low priced ($250) reverse osmosis unit from Home Depot, Lowes or off of ebay. Make sure it has an ultraviolet light filter on it also. These come with a small pressure tank and a stainless steel faucet that can be mounted right next to the sink and used for drinking water and cleaning vegitables and cooking. I also have mine connected to the fridge icemaker.

For the last two years, I have been drinking this water and have not had any ill effects. My housekeeper and manager think it is much better tasting than bottled water.

In addition to this, I have a whole house sediment tank filter to remove the river mud during heavy rains. This has to be refilled every year.

In addition to this, I also have a whole house ultraviolet filter that filters all incoming water to the pool, showers and faucets. These filters remove almost all of the bacteria and viruses from the water.

I hope this clarified ways of getting reasonbly priced drinking water as an option to the Russian roullete bottled water.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
AK74 IS CORRECT THAT DISTILLED WATER IS THE CLEANEST, PUREST WATER THAT CAN BE OBTAINED.

The downside is the maintenance and cleaning of the tank that must be done regularly and the electrical elements tend to burn out quickly in the DR due to the brown power. There are also studies that raise concerns about possible negative health effects from the 0 mineral content of distilled water. Some say it pulls a lot of toxins as well as vitamins from th body, so...who really knows?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to buy a low priced ($250) reverse osmosis unit from Home Depot, Lowes or off of ebay. Make sure it has an ultraviolet light filter on it also. These come with a small pressure tank and a stainless steel faucet that can be mounted right next to the sink and used for drinking water and cleaning vegitables and cooking. I also have mine connected to the fridge icemaker.

For the last two years, I have been drinking this water and have not had any ill effects. My housekeeper and manager think it is much better tasting than bottled water.

In addition to this, I have a whole house sediment tank filter to remove the river mud during heavy rains. This has to be refilled every year.

In addition to this, I also have a whole house ultraviolet filter that filters all incoming water to the pool, showers and faucets. These filters remove almost all of the bacteria and viruses from the water.

I hope this clarified ways of getting reasonbly priced drinking water as an option to the Russian roullete bottled water.

Very good point! Especially on microelements. I considered them myself several years ago. Here are the answers.

1. Maintenance of distiller. Takes about ten seconds. I remove the brawn risidue after each gallon with metal mesh pad while it is not hardened yet.

2. Life of distiller. Currently I have three. One in home in Sosua. One in home in NY. One in office in NY. All three still work perfect for about seven years (paid for each $120 roughly)

3. Microelements. If one does not consume lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (and ideally kombucha, kefir, wheatgrass juice and green magma) the tiny amount in water does not save him. If one consumes enough from meals - he gets everything even without water. So, it is a very minor issue.

Regarding $250 filter from HD. Many serious water studies have shown that high quality and safe purification is reached only with sophisticated filtering systems that cost ALOT. Much more that $250.

If this info is of interest to anyone.

I do not sell distillers. Neither distilled water.