What killed my Dad?

nadie43

Dec 17, 2018
The time and experience needed to do some of these seemingly simple things is something that takes a while to get used to when you don't live in the island and time is super limited plus you have to go the middle of nowhere and deal with people who really don't want to deal with stuff like this.

I would assume that in most normal families people just leave wills and go over these things with all pertinent family members instead of a couple of people hijacking the whole thing just because they have more access to certain information and no will was left... chaos is a ladder!

The fact that in most traditional families you never expect this type of sketchy stuff happening so just coming to the realization that you're in the middle of something shady with your own family is something you just don't deal with in your everyday life... at least I don't.

P.S... thanks for all the warnings. I already prepared my ninja gear :D

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The time and experience needed to do some of these seemingly simple things is something that takes a while to get used to when you don't live in the island and time is super limited plus you have to go the middle of nowhere and deal with people who really don't want to deal with stuff like this.

I would assume that in most normal families people just leave wills and go over these things with all pertinent family members instead of a couple of people hijacking the whole thing just because they have more access to certain information and no will was left... chaos is a ladder!

The fact that in most traditional families you never expect this type of sketchy stuff happening so just coming to the realization that you're in the middle of something shady with your own family is something you just don't deal with in your everyday life... at least I don't.

P.S... thanks for all the warnings. I already prepared my ninja gear :D

I'm going through a similar situation right now. A friend of mine in Santiago died under somewhat confusing circumstances and uncertain cause of death. The only family is in the US. They're in touch with a lawyer here and she'll have the medical records, autopsy results, and death certificate shortly. They don't have to come down or or do a thing.

What problem are you having? It's starting to sound like you're just looking for a shoulder to cry on.

Last edited:

nadie43

Dec 17, 2018
That type of information is pretty much what I need at this point, anything official will help. As I said in prior comments, at this point have no official documentation about his death, so you can tell my dad fell in the shower and I would have no way to discern what's true and what's not. I only saw his casket being buried and that's all the proof I have that my dad is done for.

I've never had to deal with people close to me dying so even knowing what to ask is a learning process.

My older sibling has all this information and kept it away from the rest of the family for some reason, so eventually some alarms start ringing as my dad left a mess of stuff... that's also why the need to be ultra careful about even asking questions.

It's unfortunate I had to reach out to cry in an internet forum about this stuff but in order to remain safe I have to keep things nice and quiet. In the past I've reached out to some of the lawyers in my family but I don't think this is the way to go anymore because when it comes to family no one wants to even start entertaining the idea that this would be happening in the first place so all sort of defenses go up.

It's difficult for me to establish a listing of lawyers specialized in this type of stuff in the middle of nowhere. This is not in fancy Santiago(where I grew up). Most of this stuff happened closer to Haiti than Santiago... I can move faster from the D.R to many East Coast cities than it is to get to this place, even people's accents are different!

I always come to at least once every 4 years so this is why I will planning this stuff for next year.

Do you have know competent lawyer contacts an internet stranger can reach out to?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I know an honest lawyer who can help and who lives in Santiago Rodriguez province and who has done this type of thing before - successfully. I cannot message you until you have 10 posts nor put an email in here, but when you have 10 posts then I can send you a private message. This type of thing is not uncommon at all, especially when the people who end up being disinherited live in the United States.

Matilda

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That type of information is pretty much what I need at this point, anything official will help. As I said in prior comments, at this point have no official documentation about his death, so you can tell my dad fell in the shower and I would have no way to discern what's true and what's not. I only saw his casket being buried and that's all the proof I have that my dad is done for.

I've never had to deal with people close to me dying so even knowing what to ask is a learning process.

My older sibling has all this information and kept it away from the rest of the family for some reason, so eventually some alarms start ringing as my dad left a mess of stuff... that's also why the need to be ultra careful about even asking questions.

It's unfortunate I had to reach out to cry in an internet forum about this stuff but in order to remain safe I have to keep things nice and quiet. In the past I've reached out to some of the lawyers in my family but I don't think this is the way to go anymore because when it comes to family no one wants to even start entertaining the idea that this would be happening in the first place so all sort of defenses go up.

It's difficult for me to establish a listing of lawyers specialized in this type of stuff in the middle of nowhere. This is not in fancy Santiago(where I grew up). Most of this stuff happened closer to Haiti than Santiago... I can move faster from the D.R to many East Coast cities than it is to get to this place, even people's accents are different!

I always come to at least once every 4 years so this is why I will planning this stuff for next year.

Do you have know competent lawyer contacts an internet stranger can reach out to?

I still don't understand why the other lawyers you contacted didn't help you, but, yes, I do have a very good lawyer with whom I have personally worked for over ten years on a variety of legal issues, including estates, and is working on the estate issue that I mentioned that is very similar to yours.

Her name is Jenny Familia. Email: jennyfamiliab@hotmail.com 809-739-3033. You're making everything way more complicated than it is. Unless I'm missing something, she will have no problem getting you the medical records, cause of death, and death certificate. This is not top secret information.

Sep 4, 2012
Since the system was computerised all certificates can be obtained from any Registro Civil - you don't have to go to one particular one.

Matilda

I knew that, however - the OP asked for a lead, that number would provide him with one since the OP has no idea what, when, where with regards to the passing of his father.

Though, if the OP knows where exactly the certificate is at (what town), am sure he would've already contacted them.

But after all, good input.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hello DR1,

My case is probably not uncommon but I can't believe this is happening in my family. I was born and raised in D.R and brought to the U.S by my mom before turning 18. I have four genetic siblings(two older and two younger) and two half siblings my late father had with a second marriage he had divorced just prior his death.

About 3 years ago my mid 60s father suddenly died in circumstances me and my closest siblings don't know and have no documented proofs yet. My oldest siblings do know and have access to this information... herein the issue. Right after the funeral some family members approached me and warned me not leave D.R before getting death certificates. I asked for this certificate to my dad's ex-wife and older siblings only to be aggressively dismissed.

Some of the few details I've been able to gather is that my late father's ex-wife was able to get access to pension funds and other assets of my dad. Interestingly... one my older siblings has had a sudden increase of assets in D.R. I'm having to spend resources next year to make sure I clarify this situation for me and my siblings.

Due to my older sibling's obfuscation in conjunction with my late father's ex wife's(she's a lawyer) me and my closest siblings have been completely excluded from any post death matters. Me and my younger siblings have not had any participation or consultations on these matters. The argument being given by my older sibling and Dad's ex-wife is that there's nothing to worry about with anything because my dad "had nothing and left nothing" when I'm just asking for documentation.

I'm I being paranoid or are my concerns valid?

So far I've only received threats and insults from my older siblings and their acolytes for daring to simply ask stuff like; What killed my Dad?

Maybe contact this department?
https://jce.gob.do/Dependencias/Registro-Civil-actas-nacimiento-matrimonio-divorcio-defuncion

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
This is a sad situation.
I would suggest you Dominicanize the needed actions.
Go there, start a legal action vs. the others and buy a judge that rules in your favor.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Condolences on the loss of your Dad.

After 3 years, you probably won't find out much about how the death happened. Sad but true. Grieve for your Dad, that's the best you can do.

You really need a good attorney in the DR. They can at least find out how the property was split up.

You must know where he was receiving a pension from? Have a lawyer in that country contact them. The Pension Plan managers have a fiduciary responsibility to your Dad regarding the payout. Was everything done (or being done currently if monthly payouts) correctly? Is it being disbursed monthly or was it a lump sum payout?

Any monies already paid out, consider them gone. It's not worth the trouble, financially and emotionally to try to recoup them int he DR. And maybe even for your physical safety. Good luck.

Great Advice