What kind of work do you do?

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Yo se nada de nada...

The only thing I know is that that the Mayor of Santiago is also probably the most qualified culinary expert of this hemisphere...

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I really appreciate your replies!! I see that most of you that work have specialized skills, to be able to earn the $$$.
We will not have to work when we move permanently in the next 3-4 years,
however we want to do something, something that will earn some money but it doesn't have to be enough to live on.
I think there are a variety of opportunities to explore and we'll definately know more once we have been there a while. We run a successful bakery business here in Canada , I'm a Financial Services manager for a large car dealership and I'm a part-time Personal Trainer/Ex-Competitor in Fitness/Figure.
Oh.. and I was a school teacher too.
I'm not so sure these would be the direction I would take in the DR, but
nevertheless skills and knowledge we bring with us.:glasses:

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I really appreciate your replies!! I see that most of you that work have specialized skills, to be able to earn the $$$.
however we want to do something, something that will earn some money but it doesn't have to be enough to live on.
I think there are a variety of opportunities to explore and we'll definately know more once we have been there a while. We run a successful bakery business here in Canada , I'm a Financial Services manager for a large car dealership and I'm a part-time Personal Trainer/Ex-Competitor in Fitness/Figure.
Oh.. and I was a school teacher too.
I'm not so sure these would be the direction I would take in the DR, but
nevertheless skills and knowledge we bring with us.:glasses:

Bakery business should do well. Especially if you can make whole-wheat. In Playero pan integral is always sold out by 10.30 AM. I need to set my alarm clock to be able to buy it.

I will be your regular customer, and some of my friends too.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
however we want to do something, something that will earn some money but it doesn't have to be enough to live on. glasses:

Most people we know who have not retired seem to sell real estate. But I'm not sure what are the prospects for the property market here over the next few years!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Bakery business should do well. Especially if you can make whole-wheat. In Playero pan integral is always sold out by 10.30 AM. I need to set my alarm clock to be able to buy it.

I will be your regular customer, and some of my friends too.

LOL, From the people we have told about our business when we are visiting in the DR, they are pushing us for a bakery too. Problem with that is its more than a full time job, not sure if we want that. I agree though! Not enough bakeries and not enough whole grain products!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL, From the people we have told about our business when we are visiting in the DR, they are pushing us for a bakery too. Problem with that is its more than a full time job, not sure if we want that. I agree though! Not enough bakeries and not enough whole grain products!!
a proper bakery with proper bread and normal sweets (not those sugary killer stuff dominicans like).
you got me dreaming here....
i have to drive all the way to sosua for normal bread and pastries....

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Owning a bakery is hard work, ours is a specialty bakery. It has been suggested to give it a go, but the some of the ingredients would be hard to get. We bake only Oatmeal cookies, they are 300grams each and in many different flavours, no sugar, no eggs, no added fats. I'm not going to get into it much more but we cater to the sports community, hot lunch days for schools, we support the diabetes association and numerous others.
We also have our own trail mix.
We don't want to work full time, maybe not at all, and this, sorry to say,would not be something we would do in the DR, its a tough business.

I'm enjoying the responses:classic:
I see no one is selling timeshares on the beach:chinese:

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
question

Many are retirees or pensioners, or are living off investments or trust funds, or some other form of passive income.

Can you tell us how to access these investments or trust funds or other
kinds of passive income so we can live in the D.R. also?

Thanks, Dave :glasses:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Can you tell us how to access these investments or trust funds or other
kinds of passive income so we can live in the D.R. also?

Thanks, Dave :glasses:

Work, work, work and after about 30 years you'll live on your savings

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Work, work, work and after about 30 years you'll live on your savings

Agree!

Earn. Save. Keep money on savings account or at most - on CD.

Never invest in stocks , RE "flipping"/speculation or any other gambling "quick-rich" schemes.

Keep moderate life style. Buy only what you really need. Nothing else. At each purchase/transaction - bargain, bargain, bargain. Even if for $1 dollar only.

Eat at home. Late night restaurant overeating with greasy, spicy, deep fried or BBQed food kills both your wallet and your health.

Do alot of active cardiovasc excercising that does not require money (running, swimming, dancing)

And you will sleep well at night and will live long, sexual and healthy life surrounded until your oldest and last years by beautiful 18-year old chicas.

Reactions: FernieBee

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I do Import/Export here in Canada, use to do it in Haiti for 2 years and made big $$ down there, now trying to see if it would be posible in DR.
I have a friend that live in Sosua, last time I went there he told me, bring a couple of DVD player with you, I took 4 with me, paid them 18$ in Montreal, and sold them for 2000pesos each , around 60-65$ Us.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am a percussionist.

23wvi1d.jpg
2ns6ts8.jpg