What Level Of Security Is Required?

A

apostropheman

personally i like walls, bars, gates and big dogs....when in Rome...:rambo:

A

apostropheman

Bruno and Baily...and Savanah are all big enough. too bad they seem as friendly as they are...:eek:

A

apostropheman

well...have you ever tried to get into Rocky's after it's closed....if they don't know you i suspect you'd rethink it.:rambo: :pirate: :devious:

A

apostropheman

during opening hours they'll let almost anyone in...gotta talk to the boss about that... :devious: :eek:gre: :ninja:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
apostropheman said:
i looked at an apartment near there in May...a 2 or 3 story white building in a culdesac with a villa at the end of the road?

anyway...i'd heard it was potentially a problem area...at night but not in broad daylight. changed my perspective of Sosua somewhat.

I was renting in the building accross the street on the corner. That street did seem safe in the daytime. I think you were just unlucky. I think that the villa in the cul-de sac is a sex retreat, so to speak. My girlfriend was mugged while walking in the area where Jimmy is building, if I'm not mistaken. She said the guy seemed high on drugs - what a surprise!

About 15 years ago, I used to work in the Times Square area, sometimes until quite late. At that time, it was a frightening experience to be on the street after 11pm. Now it's completely safe. I think things will improve in Sosua as well. - D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Danny W said:
About 15 years ago, I used to work in the Times Square area, sometimes until quite late. At that time, it was a frightening experience to be on the street after 11pm. Now it's completely safe. I think things will improve in Sosua as well. - D
I can see 1,000's of Americans setting up shop in the next 10 years and I think it will be safer.

A

apostropheman

i hope so. awareness should help. i've told pretty much everyone i know in the area but did not alert the police. it happened on new years eve and i didn't want to be tied up all day and frankly my description was a bit lacking. suffice to say i'll be taking more precautions in the future and will be far more alert.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
apostropheman said:
i hope so. awareness should help. i've told pretty much everyone i know in the area but did not alert the police. it happened on new years eve and i didn't want to be tied up all day and frankly my description was a bit lacking. suffice to say i'll be taking more precautions in the future and will be far more alert.
Next time, you won't be alone.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
apostropheman said:
be very careful while walking alone in isolated areas. that is any area without other people in sight. between xmas and new years i as relieved of just over 5000 pesos, at knifepoint, by 2 guys on a moto.

And to think of how many times Hannelie (my daughter) and I have walked that road, during the day as well as at dusk ..... glad you weren't hurt!!

Stay well,
Amy

A

apostropheman

thanks Amy...i trust you won't be walking that route again.

i changed my route to walking west on the highway until the Ana Marie sign on the north side and taking that road to Pedro Clisante. it's a residential street and while not busy seems safer. alternatively i also went along the highway all the way to the texaco but only during the day. at night i'd take a moto or hit bushbaby up for a ride again.:rambo:

this was the first time i'd stayed anywhere but Rocky's and in future i'll only stay there unless i have a vehicle. i really enjoyed the condo but no more walking there for me.:bandit:

which brings up another point; many thanks to all those that helped me. i appreciate it more than you might realize. :)

I had people buying me drinks, giving me rides, offering me the use of their vehicles, offering to go hunt down the ladrines and just talking me throught the trama. it really helped me not let it spoil an otherwise excellent vacation!

A

apostropheman

heldengebroed said:
A few months patience i'll be comming with the best watchdogs you can immagine

Greetings

Johan

i take it you'r breeding dogs. what kind?

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
apostropheman said:
i take it you'r breeding dogs. what kind?

Breeding and training Malinois. 100% workinglines, lean mean biting machines Selected through training and breeding for police/protection work for allmost a century

Greetings

Johan

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Jimmydr said:
I may need to buy one.

You know it's quite easy to bring a dog from the US or Canada right? We used to bring puppies back, and our only cost was the puppy and a 150 dollar checkup at a US vet with a letter stating the little guy had all his shots.

If you want to be hardcore, Pit Bulls have a bad rap. If raised from a puppy they are extremely loyal dogs, and not at all a danger to their owner....one stipulation (same with any big dog). You need a strong hand for them to view you as their leader. I wouldn't recommend them for ladies, or weak guys. You gotta be able to jerk them into place if they get unruly.

Seriously, next time someone goes to the states they can bring back 2 puppies easily in a kennel (tell them they are brothers, for your son etc etc...so they won't think you are selling. it will keep the bribe down.). Actually, you guys should chip in and bring home some Rottweilers. Probably not the best guard dog, but they sure used to scare the hell out of most Dominicans at my house. :)

A

apostropheman

heldengebroed said:
Breeding and training Malinois. 100% workinglines, lean mean biting machines Selected through training and breeding for police/protection work for allmost a century

Greetings

Johan

Belgian Shepherds?