What the DR has to learn from Singapore

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Not Industrious??? ooh lala Commander....... au contraire

The Chinese built Singapore, an English speaking city-state well known as a center for international gambling and child exploitation? Nah.

Chinese people arent industrious in the slightest. Building things means nothing if they arent quality. Who in their right mind would prefer a Chinese car, bike, or hammer over a German, Japanese, American one? No one. A Chinese gun or an Italian one? No one picks the Chinese one.
Dildo Scroggins, Country Music Star for Middle Earth

And what were people saying about made in Japan when they started out.
They sure beat the Yanks in quality automobile manufacturing, electronics.... etc.
Once Dominicans learn discipline, work ethics and get a government that is serious about eliminating corruption things may move ahead.
The Chinese could pump money into the DR and develop the country's infrastructure, if there would be a good return for them.

May 29, 2006
The Philippines would be a better role model given their Catholicism, Spanish influence, and emphasis on vocational education. They do skilled trade work all over the world on HVAC, electric, plumbing, automotive, IT work, accounting... all kinds of trades you get in a vocational college in the US. It helps of course that they also learn English in school and that many words in English are the same in Tagalog.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I've been to Singapore. Heyzus, it's hot, but damn, is it clean.

Maybe the DR could start with the thousand dollar fines for first offense litterers and canings for spitters. I see that going down real well here.

It was more politically corrupt that the DR could ever be. We all know what caused the big change there.

Do you want that here? I mean, one mistake and it can't be taken back!

As far as policies? We are going to stiffen the penalties for crimes committed in the country using weapons. Same for repeat career offenders.

Cleanliness? Easy to achieve with enforcement!

Keep in mind that as more and more regulations are enforced, things do change.

We are working hard in making gov offices almost automatic on all levels of paperwork and procedures. A big chunk of what today is done in person, will be done all online later on.

That will cut the chances of corruption and greasing of palms in the greater number than many other options.

By removing as much the human factor from the contact stages, we can achieve greater transparency than by putting people behind bars.

This will be mirrored at every ministry office/gov service institution.

We are also reforming our jail system even further with what we learned from the first experiments on the new prison model.

We're taking our time to launch our real time financial system, so that it can be also based on true securities.

It takes time and money to carry these things out and we are doing it on our own and with our own money.

Keep in mind just getting 100ks of people to become legal is costing a bundle and we don't get a penny from anybody to carry this out. We're bleeding red from day 1 on this.

We don't need nor want death penalties here nor the corporal torture.

We can do it much better.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
The Chinese built Singapore, an English speaking city-state well known as a center for international gambling and child exploitation? Nah.
Myth: "Underage children, huddled over rickety wooden tables, toiling away under a naked light bulb, each holding a screwdriver or a soldering iron, horrible sweaty conditions – jamming together iphones/ipads/macs one screw at a time."

Chinese people arent industrious in the slightest. Building things means nothing if they arent quality. Who in their right mind would prefer a Chinese car, bike, or hammer over a German, Japanese, American one? No one. A Chinese gun or an Italian one? No one picks the Chinese one.

Five Myths About China: https://medium.com/@BrassClo/5-myths-about-chinese-factories-9e9b0cbf47c1

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

He also said:

I asked my colleagues in Santiago how the Chileans had managed to halve poverty in seven years. They cited: consistent economic growth; increasing salaries ? and greater participation by women in the workforce with decent wages; and (I quote): ?a generally clean police force and judiciary makes a big difference? Unquote.

The DR has grown economically more than any Latin American country since 1965, including Chile, but this has not helped reduce poverty as dramatically as in many Latin American countries. May I suggest DR society should be concerned by this, and ask itself why?

Why? Try a never ending stream of the most extreme poverty in our hemisphere and possibly the world walking in and out each day, decade after decade.

But things will change soon enough! We understand that for our country to change that, we must change as well on how we address these issues.

There will be no going back for us on this. Extreme poverty in the DR will be eradicated and poverty in general address with goals each year until it's reduced to less than average for the developed world.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've stated this before and it bears repeating-as we were passing by Chinatown in Santo Domingo, the cabbie said to me the Chinese dedicate themselves to work, and Dominicans to corruption.

Dominicans notice this, and for there to be wholesale changes in attitude it has to be done not by pointing to a country as far away as Singapore but by Dominicans themselves setting the example.

Many Dominicans see the answer to their problems by getting to the US to get rich and come back with sackloads of cash. How is this mentality going to be extricated form the pshyche of the average ne'er-do-well Dominican?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Why? Try a never ending stream of the most extreme poverty in our hemisphere and possibly the world walking in and out each day, decade after decade.But things will change soon enough! We understand that for our country to change that, we must change as well on how we address these issues.

There will be no going back for us on this. Extreme poverty in the DR will be eradicated and poverty in general address with goals each year until it's reduced to less than average for the developed world.

No. You evaded the question as to why growth over and above other developing nations in the hemisphere has not been translated into poverty eradication and provision of better social services........exactly as gorgon had posted in relation to the ex UK ambassadors comments.......but you chose not to respond to that directly. There are other examples in the region that have done better with lower growth despite equal poverty levels.

The simplistic answer is rampant corruption at all levels of government and the public sector but especially the political elite which siphons off large sums of money which could go to the betterment of Dominican society at large. Water provision to all as a basic service comes to mind at present......... DR is no better than many countries in Sub Saharan Africa in this regard especially considering the resources it has available and this is an utter disgrace.

It is a hard pill to swallow for the nationalists amongst you and the beneficiaries, but the sooner or later as more and more Dominicans get educated a resentment will build up against the status quo and the greedy b*s**r**. So action is needed now but this is appearing to be the current leaders weakness.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was more politically corrupt that the DR could ever be. We all know what caused the big change there.

Do you want that here? I mean, one mistake and it can't be taken back!

As far as policies? We are going to stiffen the penalties for crimes committed in the country using weapons. Same for repeat career offenders.

Cleanliness? Easy to achieve with enforcement!

Keep in mind that as more and more regulations are enforced, things do change.

We are working hard in making gov offices almost automatic on all levels of paperwork and procedures. A big chunk of what today is done in person, will be done all online later on.

That will cut the chances of corruption and greasing of palms in the greater number than many other options.

By removing as much the human factor from the contact stages, we can achieve greater transparency than by putting people behind bars.

This will be mirrored at every ministry office/gov service institution.

We are also reforming our jail system even further with what we learned from the first experiments on the new prison model.

We're taking our time to launch our real time financial system, so that it can be also based on true securities.

It takes time and money to carry these things out and we are doing it on our own and with our own money.

Keep in mind just getting 100ks of people to become legal is costing a bundle and we don't get a penny from anybody to carry this out. We're bleeding red from day 1 on this.

We don't need nor want death penalties here nor the corporal torture.

We can do it much better.

i have never heard so much horsecrap in my life.

Yes, PICHARDO, automation will negotiate the contracts with other countries. so, when we need a coal fired plant, some online paradigms will make sure that we give the contract to the guys who bid 900 million, instead of the guys who bid 2.08 billion.

i have no idea who you think you are talking to.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No. You evaded the question as to why growth over and above other developing nations in the hemisphere has not been translated into poverty eradication and provision of better social services........exactly as gorgon had posted in relation to the ex UK ambassadors comments.......but you chose not to respond to that directly. There are other examples in the region that have done better with lower growth despite equal poverty levels.

The simplistic answer is rampant corruption at all levels of government and the public sector but especially the political elite which siphons off large sums of money which could go to the betterment of Dominican society at large. Water provision to all as a basic service comes to mind at present......... DR is no better than many countries in Sub Saharan Africa in this regard especially considering the resources it has available and this is an utter disgrace.

It is a hard pill to swallow for the nationalists amongst you and the beneficiaries, but the sooner or later as more and more Dominicans get educated a resentment will build up against the status quo and the greedy b*s**r**. So action is needed now but this is appearing to be the current leaders weakness.

So what other countries in the region are you rwfering to. Are there any others that have the added burden of a million plus poverty atricken neighbour coming for a permanent vacation. I wonder if without this added problem the DR numbers mifht compare much better. I think many on here dont realize how far the DR has come in a ahort time. Doesnt mean there isnt great room for improvement.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So what other countries in the region are you rwfering to. Are there any others that have the added burden of a million plus poverty atricken neighbour coming for a permanent vacation. I wonder if without this added problem the DR numbers mifht compare much better. I think many on here dont realize how far the DR has come in a ahort time. Doesnt mean there isnt great room for improvement.

The OP is in relation to the speech given by the departing UK ambassador and his remarks in relation to DR learning from the Singapore model. If you read his full speech which is posted in this thread you will see that he wondered why DR had done so little to eradicate poverty compared to Chile amongst others despite better growth. His concluding remarks in relation to Singapore and in what he hopes for DR is a clear statement of his sentiments imo.

Secondly I will run with the UN/EU numbers in relation to the numbers of Haitians here and not 'here say' of a million plus, but those that are here are not in large part 'on vacation'...they are working for a pittance adding to the economic growth believe it or not.

Ok I fully agree with regularization but the Haitian problem is not the root cause of the countries ills and the failure to invest better in social services.

I think it is damn clear to almost all of us that huge sums of money are being siphoned off by politicos and nothing being done about it. It also happens at all levels of public service at some level or other and so it is a huge burden on this society and takes away true value from the investments that are taking place. And denies greater investment in society too.

Plenty of room for improvement and hope with the right political will at the top.

Aug 6, 2006
I think that corruption plays a part in it, but the biggest problem is the severe difference between the richest and the poorest. This includes the Haitians as well,

In Barahona, most of the large businesses are run by Dominicans of Middle Eastern extraction or belong to absentee owners from Santo Domingo.
The Barahoneros that have businesses generally have colmados, open air restaurants, and very small businesses in the city market.
This is related to education, the level of which is fairly low.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The UK Ambassador used Singapore as the example of a country DR should learn from for one basic reason: it is in the top few along with Scandinavian countries with lowest levels of corruption.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The UK Ambassador used Singapore as the example of a country DR should learn from for one basic reason: it is in the top few along with Scandinavian countries with lowest levels of corruption.

PICHARDO is just another in a long line of Dominicans who resort to the age old dictum of no es mi culpa. get rid of the Haitians, and we will realize the wondrous potential that is everywhere.

the Dominican Republic ranks number 146 out of 147 countries surveyed for wasteful government spending. that is a diplomatic and euphemistic way of saying theft of treasure. Haitians have no part in that. the Chinese bid 900 million to build the coal fired electricity plant, but the contract was awarded to Odebrecht, at a cost of 2.08 billion. China is planning to take the matter to rthe WTO for arbitration. just about all purchases by the DR for things like the Tucanos, subway cars, and other assets purchased by the government are paid for at prices way higher than others pay.

i fail to see how Haitians affect those decisions. secondly, i fail to see how you can create honesty and honor with some computer algorithm.

Aug 6, 2006
They must have left a lot of countries out of that survey. Nigeria, Angola, Equatorial Guinea and several other African countries are so corrupt that a person cannot get out of the airport without bribing three or four people.
I think there are officially 205 political entities on the planet, Some are less than independent, like Turks & Caicos and the BVI.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They must have left a lot of countries out of that survey. Nigeria, Angola, Equatorial Guinea and several other African countries are so corrupt that a person cannot get out of the airport without bribing three or four people.
I think there are officially 205 political entities on the planet, Some are less than independent, like Turks & Caicos and the BVI.

the survey had to do with wasteful government spending. whether or not there are 205 political entities is not exactly relevant, because they chose 147, and the DR ranked 146. that is a sufficient indicator.