What the hell is going on !

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
JWB: Forget about Santo Domingo. Who wants to live in that dump of a city anyways? Unless you're young and single in which case that's the place to live in. I contend that you can live confortably with a $30,000/month budget in a smaller town. In my hometown of Cotui, for instance you could live very confortable with that budget. For a bigger city, but not as big, consider La Vega...cleanest city in the DR, good education, centrally located, close to the mountains, etc...For access to beaches you could live anywhere in the country and you're not more than a couple of hours away from one. Regarding a car, yoo don't need to spend $800,000 for a car. You can get Toyota Camrys or Honda Accords in very good condition for about $250,000. These are actually the best types of cars to own in The DR. Since there are so many of them, if anything goes wrong you can get them fixed easily and very cheap. The main thing is whether you're willing to live like a dominican...Are you going to eat rice, beans, and platanos...instead of imported corn flakes, filet mignon, etc? Anything imported will cost you at least twice as much. I know tons of people with much lower incomes who live confortable enough.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
I thank everyone for their replies and suggestions. I noticed that the dollar is on the rise again, that will work to my advantage.
since I have a few months left , I am still investigating all possible options.

Keep em coming gang :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Whatever you do, do not buy a car and then let someone else drive it for you as a revenue-producer. Have only heard horror stories. Apparently, that deal does not work out for the owner of the car.

Regarding the truck venture... just the other day standing in line in a bank heard the case of a man who bought a truck and used it on weekends to move people, or transport heavy items. He said the minimum he made for a transfer was RD$600 and he had paid off the truck in a short time. He bought it second hand. But he still had a full time job and worked nights and weekends to supplement his income.

Just whatever you do... if you purchase a car or truck, just drive it yourself. Forget about getting someone else to drive it.

domgirl1

Apr 5, 2002
I don't know where you guys are looking for apartments or if I just got lucky, but I will be moving to DR myself god willing in early February. It will be just my husband and I. We have a house rented for $5,000RD. Mind you, it's a 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, decent size living room, kitchen, dining room, a small room where we have our washer machine, nice size backyard and we even have a small pool in the backyard. Very quiet area, all the neighbors are very kept to themselves. Don't know if that's good or bad, but as long as they don't come asking for a cup of sugar every morning i'm fine.

And I know it might not be Piantini or Naco but it's definitely not Capotillo. The above mentioned house is by the Autopista San Isidro near the new Coral Mall they've built. I mean alot of people go to the DR and expect to live like they've never even lived in the states.

My suggestion is, first really look around and don't jump into the first thing you see. By no means am I saying settle for anything, but really take some time and look. That's what I did before getting any place. I went to some places where they were asking for 10,000-11-000RD for like a 1 bedroom!!!

But anyhow, I think that it all depends on the way you want to live. If you want to eat out 5 days out of 7 and you want to be out drinking and partying Thursday-Monday then your budget wouldn't cut it. But otherwise, I think your budget is fine.

Good luck looking for a place and I hope you enjoy your stay. One piece of advice if I may: HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!! If you have lots of patience you should do fine.

Good Luck again!!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Domgirl I agree. I live near San Isidro as well. A bit further out just past the cabanas. $4,000 pesos a month 2 bedroom, 2 bath, brand new.

Not living large, but living decent. Is it as nice as what I am used to in the states? Heck no, but I am doing OK there and enjoying myself.