What to do when arrested in Sosua / Cab

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
btw, I checked with my girlfriend, and locals just turtle up (pull into their shells) when the police try to shake them down. Apparently, if you give them money, it's just a start of a bad habit and the police will be back. They make a lot of noise, gather an audience, and let the police search evertything untill they give up in frustration.

When I explained my Gringo position that I didn't want the police digging through my expensive cameras and electronics and a "tip" is just like paying a special gringo toll, she was emphatic that I was wasting money. I have yet to pay a "guancha" while traveling with her as we do a good good cop, bad cop routine and she's not a dominicana that you want to tangle with. Not like Ihave a choice, as she's generally out the door of the car before I say buenas tardes, so we're definitely light on the good cop thing.

Also, the poice (PN) are known for putting drugs in your pocket and then busting you. The reason they have such a hard on for drugs is that it's an instant 5000 peso 'fine' or a trip to the jail. Nice getting your rent paid in a single shift of work. For those trafficing drugs, it's the cost of doing business, but 5000 pesos to a working stiff is a lot of money.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Entrepreneurshipolic?a

Some years ago, based on personal experience and chatting with others, I came up with the following observations on entrepreneurship in the Republic:

1. Everyone in the DR is in business?mostly true.
2. Everyone in the DR expects a salary?usually true.
3. Everyone in the DR expects a tip for service?true enough.
4. All of the above applies to la polic?a?absolutely, without exception, inescapably and totally true.

wbr

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok so I will get the phone number party started - took me a couple of days to track it down. In an incident that happened where someone was in BIG **** - involving a major fight - the police refused to be bribed. We got this Dominican lawyer in POP. He spoke 4 languages - fluent in English. He was expensive but kicked butt - worth every penny. There was a lot of evidence including video and lawyers for other parties that were pursuing major damages and wanted it to go to Palacio of Justice - people being held in jail etc...

He said the critical thing was that it not pass the Fiscal. He was really, really good and very well connected. He got the Fiscal to drop it outright and let everyone go - even with all those other lawyers and lot of evidence.

Almonte Legal y Associates
LIC Xavier Drosinis Almonte
809-758-0751
809-889-8644
809-970-1018

They work in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Bavaro.

The incident happened at 5am on a Sunday morning and they were at the police station in full action by 9am.

I highly recommend them for criminal issues on the NC.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Ok so I will get the phone number party started - took me a couple of days to track it down. In an incident that happened where someone was in BIG **** - involving a major fight - the police refused to be bribed. We got this Dominican lawyer in POP. He spoke 4 languages - fluent in English. He was expensive but kicked butt - worth every penny. There was a lot of evidence including video and lawyers for other parties that were pursuing major damages and wanted it to go to Palacio of Justice - people being held in jail etc...

He said the critical thing was that it not pass the Fiscal. He was really, really good and very well connected. He got the Fiscal to drop it outright and let everyone go - even with all those other lawyers and lot of evidence.

Almonte Legal y Associates
LIC Xavier Drosinis Almonte
809-758-0751
809-889-8644
809-970-1018

They work in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Bavaro.

The incident happened at 5am on a Sunday morning and they were at the police station in full action by 9am.

I highly recommend them for criminal issues on the NC.

Finally some useful information..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
why would anyone be worrying about police if you are a decent law abiding person? I have never been in police problem and I have been living here since 1998. anyway, when in trouble, stay calm and try to payoff the 1st guy you are in touch with; the one who busted you. if you talk loud and get into a heated discussion then other police personnel will get involved. now you have to pay off more people. So try not to go to police station and be nice, shake the agent's hand and pay him off. thank him and walk away from the situation.
Now if you really want to avoid police problems then make friends with a decent powerful dominican man. someone who has power and can move things for you. Hint: you will not find this person is some puta bar in sosua and bocachica. if you want to be his friend, then try to act decent and not show up with a puta girlfriend either. I know people in this country and I am never concern about police at all. I am a law abiding person and I avoid problems. Police and I have no business in talking to each other. I have no problems with police and police can't hang anything on me.
AZB

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I have less time - 17 years both visiting, living and doing business in DR - One thing that I have observed is that when a problem erupts (whether you were directly involved or not) if you are "thought" to be anyway involved - everyone gets carted off to the station and questions get asked later. Innocent people get arrested in the DR all the time - there are stories all over the web. This is not the case with routine traffic violations but I have seen it in other incidences, especially when Dominicans are involved. I have seen Dominicans taken to jail for the night simply for not having a Cedula on them. In any police interaction I have ever had I have never directly been involved and have never done a thing wrong, I have never found myself in jail either but have had to participate in the paying of bribes a few times over the years. I don't think we can assume that only the guilty or only criminals find themselves in trouble in the DR.

I agree about being nice, trying to pay the cops and not being loud.

why would anyone be worrying about police if you are a decent law abiding person? I have never been in police problem and I have been living here since 1998. anyway, when in trouble, stay calm and try to payoff the 1st guy you are in touch with; the one who busted you. if you talk loud and get into a heated discussion then other police personnel will get involved. now you have to pay off more people. So try not to go to police station and be nice, shake the agent's hand and pay him off. thank him and walk away from the situation.
Now if you really want to avoid police problems then make friends with a decent powerful dominican man. someone who has power and can move things for you. Hint: you will not find this person is some puta bar in sosua and bocachica. if you want to be his friend, then try to act decent and not show up with a puta girlfriend either. I know people in this country and I am never concern about police at all. I am a law abiding person and I avoid problems. Police and I have no business in talking to each other. I have no problems with police and police can't hang anything on me.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have less time - 17 years both visiting, living and doing business in DR - One thing that I have observed is that when a problem erupts (whether you were directly involved or not) if you are "thought" to be anyway involved - everyone gets carted off to the station and questions get asked later. Innocent people get arrested in the DR all the time - there are stories all over the web. This is not the case with routine traffic violations but I have seen it in other incidences, especially when Dominicans are involved. I have seen Dominicans taken to jail for the night simply for not having a Cedula on them. In any police interaction I have ever had I have never directly been involved and have never done a thing wrong, I have never found myself in jail either but have had to participate in the paying of bribes a few times over the years. I don't think we can assume that only the guilty or only criminals find themselves in trouble in the DR.

I agree about being nice, trying to pay the cops and not being loud.
then I must have been living in a different continent all together. In since 1998 living here full time I have never been in any police trouble or involved in any incident anywhere. I have seen things and have found myself in the midst of a mess but police have never questioned me or taken me away anywhere. I think many guys spend a good chunk of their time in sosua bars with putas and other stray dogs from various countries. what do you expect will happen? sooner or later the mess will fall on you and you will find yourself knee deep in some trouble. The decent foreigners I see in this country who are married to decent dominicans and who don't frequent puta bars have never ever seen any trouble in this country. Ask robert, he has lived a long time here. he can cement my claim.
AZB

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have a Dominican friend who swears there are very few accidents in the DR, especially with Moto's. Why does he state this? Because he never sees them, so they must not happen!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Well here is 1 non bar/puta scenario. I knew 2 guys that DO NOT use drugs - normal 40 somethings from Toronto. They were negotiating a moto (aparantly he has been know to sell drugs) - those special drug police swarmed in - the moto had weed on him. All went to jail, the 2 guys I knew even got sent to Pop - 3 days later, no bribe paid - some embassy help and a lawyer and the Fiscal let them go. They had nothing, they were buying nothing - just trying to get a moto from in front of Infiniti Blu. I too also know tons of people who have never had a problem or encounter with the police. It does happen though.*

Anyways Im getting off topic right now and I created this as a point to share resources.*

then I must have been living in a different continent all together. In since 1998 living here full time I have never been in any police trouble or involved in any incident anywhere. I have seen things and have found myself in the midst of a mess but police have never questioned me or taken me away anywhere. I think many guys spend a good chunk of their time in sosua bars with putas and other stray dogs from various countries. what do you expect will happen? sooner or later the mess will fall on you and you will find yourself knee deep in some trouble. The decent foreigners I see in this country who are married to decent dominicans and who don't frequent puta bars have never ever seen any trouble in this country. Ask robert, he has lived a long time here. he can cement my claim.
AZB

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Well here is 1 non bar/puta scenario. I knew 2 guys that DO NOT use drugs - normal 40 somethings from Toronto. They were negotiating a moto (aparantly he has been know to sell drugs) - those special drug police swarmed in - the moto had weed on him. All went to jail, the 2 guys I knew even got sent to Pop - 3 days later, no bribe paid - some embassy help and a lawyer and the Fiscal let them go. They had nothing, they were buying nothing - just trying to get a moto from in front of Infiniti Blu. I too also know tons of people who have never had a problem or encounter with the police. It does happen though.*

Anyways Im getting off topic right now and I created this as a point to share resources.*

Of course it does, the hang with pigs and you get fleas, or if you stay away from puta bars, and all will be ok, sounds more like a ministry of tourism sales pitch. An innocent grandfather with his wife of 50 years could be shot dead or robbed for as little as a phone or a camera. It happens!

What negotiating with a moto? He pulls up you get on, anything else is a little shady. Your friends were negotiating with an apparent drug dealer not a moto.

Some quick tips and hints in DR. If you are involved in a car accident and there are injuries you will be locked up thats the way it is. I have the top of the line insurance on my car so that if I get into an accident my insurance company sends a lawyer and I dont go to jail I got the extra insurance to avoid that scenario. If you are the run of the mill tourist and you get in some situation it is better to deal with the original police and avoid getting more involved because the price of poker keeps going up, You may be 1000% right but do you want to spend a day or 2 of your vacation proving that point? Apologize to the cop and shake his hand and try to make a deal. If you are living in the DR or are there a great amount of time, I would suggest meeting and getting to know some Dominicans, Im not talking about some Dominicans living in some campo or some dirt poor people but normal middle income and higher people or even some police officials, Preferably a Major or above and if your ever in a situation call your friend and let them do the talking on your behalf with the police, This is by far the preferred method to get out of situation with little or no money paid and not much time wasted. Myself I have been traveling to the DR for close to 30 years and I have many signed business cards from many Generals of the police and military who are personal friends so I can show these cards if I ever needed to use them and the police will 98% of the time just back off and I will be on my way, Now if I ever have to call one of the Generals they will go out of their way to assist me because we have become friends over the years, I knew some of these men as Captains or majors years ago and have formed true friendships, not based on giving them gifts all the time. I see many gringos buying the police presents and that is not a way to make friends. My other word of advise is to stay away from drugs, weed included because your in for deep **** and even if you have police friends they cant and wont help you so if you like to smoke dont do it here in DR unless you ready to possibly pay anywhere from 5-10 k in dollars not pesos. Good luck

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Some quick tips and hints in DR. If you are involved in a car accident and there are injuries you will be locked up thats the way it is. I have the top of the line insurance on my car so that if I get into an accident my insurance company sends a lawyer and I dont go to jail I got the extra insurance to avoid that scenario. If you are the run of the mill tourist and you get in some situation it is better to deal with the original police and avoid getting more involved because the price of poker keeps going up, You may be 1000% right but do you want to spend a day or 2 of your vacation proving that point? Apologize to the cop and shake his hand and try to make a deal. If you are living in the DR or are there a great amount of time, I would suggest meeting and getting to know some Dominicans, Im not talking about some Dominicans living in some campo or some dirt poor people but normal middle income and higher people or even some police officials, Preferably a Major or above and if your ever in a situation call your friend and let them do the talking on your behalf with the police, This is by far the preferred method to get out of situation with little or no money paid and not much time wasted. Myself I have been traveling to the DR for close to 30 years and I have many signed business cards from many Generals of the police and military who are personal friends so I can show these cards if I ever needed to use them and the police will 98% of the time just back off and I will be on my way, Now if I ever have to call one of the Generals they will go out of their way to assist me because we have become friends over the years, I knew some of these men as Captains or majors years ago and have formed true friendships, not based on giving them gifts all the time. I see many gringos buying the police presents and that is not a way to make friends. My other word of advise is to stay away from drugs, weed included because your in for deep **** and even if you have police friends they cant and wont help you so if you like to smoke dont do it here in DR unless you ready to possibly pay anywhere from 5-10 k in dollars not pesos. Good luck

Hahaha
Great post,

I can vouch for everything he just said.....

I was in the police station when one of those "incidents" went down....

Nice memories.....

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Negotiating PRICE. Who gets on a moto without asking the price and when they look at you and say 200RD for a 50RD ride... sometimes there is a conversation!! Happens to me ALL the time. Certainly I also know people who have gotten in trouble in DR for reason and I wouldn't give that example if I didn't know the people involved and if I didn't know they weren't buying drugs. The moto apparently was either a drug dealer or a drug user because the police did find drugs on the moto. They were chatting with the moto less then 5 minutes. The cops swooped in almost immediately.

What negotiating with a moto? He pulls up you get on, anything else is a little shady. Your friends were negotiating with an apparent drug dealer not a moto.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Negotiating PRICE. Who gets on a moto without asking the price and when they look at you and say 200RD for a 50RD ride... sometimes there is a conversation!! Happens to me ALL the time. Certainly I also know people who have gotten in trouble in DR for reason and I wouldn't give that example if I didn't know the people involved and if I didn't know they weren't buying drugs. The moto apparently was either a drug dealer or a drug user because the police did find drugs on the moto. They were chatting with the moto less then 5 minutes. The cops swooped in almost immediately.

Pretty simple solution, have the phone number of 3-4 moto's you personally know, and don't get on the back of a stranger's bike. Do you ride in a car without T&LC plates in NYC?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A better solution is to not to ever take Moto Conchos. You will live longer and have a lot less aggravation.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
take advice from sky and badpiece. these guys actually live on the coasts of DR and know what works. Some guys are just blowing hot air. yeah, I do believe these guys were just negotiating motochoncho price and had no idea the guy sells weed. hahahaha. NOT. badpiece has spend his life in police force, he knows the deal. the guys were negotiating weed, not motoconcho prices. Only the people who deal with putas and hang out in puta bars are soon to get in some sort of problems. many have been killed as well over the years in the same areas. If drinking and mongering is your game then get ready to get busted someday. My friends who don't indulge in this game never get to speak to a police officer. Now badpiece has given some valuable advice. Learn from him.
AZB