What will bring Tourist Card sanity? $$$ Talks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Department of Taxes new website where you can purchase the tourist card online says that the tourist card is valid only for 30 days.
About the Tourist Card

The Department of Migration says that tourists extending their stay from 30 days to 3 months need pay RD$800 penalty. So that would mean the tourist card only lasts 30 days.
Direccion General de Migracion

From what I understand, and I can confirm this on Monday, the Ministry of Tourism had reached an agreement with Migration so that the tourist card was valid for 60 days. But apparently this has now somehow been changed back to the 30 days.

It is great to see they really thought this out (he said facetiously).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
They can't just change tourist visas simple as, airlines need informed new presedures put in place so they are not fined (for selling out of spec tickets) as they have been in the past, and that can take months, or longer.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
They can't just change tourist visas simple as, airlines need informed new presedures put in place so they are not fined (for selling out of spec tickets) as they have been in the past, and that can take months, or longer.

Last September, I was almost stopped in Toronto, by Air Canada. I was flying to the DR for just over 6 months. They question that I didn't have the papers to do this.
This year, if the DR doesn't get its Sh** in order, and soon, I will be standing in Toronto, arguing with Air Canada (again). I am afraid this time, I will lose, as Air Canada will error on (their) safe side and not let me board.

The new DR rules were going to be implemented on June 1.... NO July 1, NO August 1, NO August 15....

This Thread started out with....
“Llibre made the point that tourism is 20% of the GDP, 30% of export revenues and the industry buys RD$16 billion from the local farming sector.”

Who screws with a Golden Goose?

PLEASE..... lets get this done... finalized, posted, publicized, confirmed.
All the Government website in-sink.
The clock is ticking!

It is August, and in Canada, the Snowbird are starting to get ready to fly south.

Cuba is looking better every day!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Department of Taxes new website where you can purchase the tourist card online says that the tourist card is valid only for 30 days.
About the Tourist Card

The Department of Migration says that tourists extending their stay from 30 days to 3 months need pay RD$800 penalty. So that would mean the tourist card only lasts 30 days.
Direccion General de Migracion

From what I understand, and I can confirm this on Monday, the Ministry of Tourism had reached an agreement with Migration so that the tourist card was valid for 60 days. But apparently this has now somehow been changed back to the 30 days.

I confirmed this yesterday with an officer at the Ministry of Tourism. The tourist card is valid for 30 DAYS.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks Dolores- can you extend the tourist card online, for 3 months ? That would almost be too much to ask for ! K

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Last September, I was almost stopped in Toronto, by Air Canada. I was flying to the DR for just over 6 months. They question that I didn't have the papers to do this.
This year, if the DR doesn't get its Sh** in order, and soon, I will be standing in Toronto, arguing with Air Canada (again). I am afraid this time, I will lose, as Air Canada will error on (their) safe side and not let me board.

The new DR rules were going to be implemented on June 1.... NO July 1, NO August 1, NO August 15....

This Thread started out with....
?Llibre made the point that tourism is 20% of the GDP, 30% of export revenues and the industry buys RD$16 billion from the local farming sector.?

Who screws with a Golden Goose?

PLEASE..... lets get this done... finalized, posted, publicized, confirmed.
All the Government website in-sink.
The clock is ticking!

It is August, and in Canada, the Snowbird are starting to get ready to fly south.

Cuba is looking better every day!

Duminicans I guess!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Was this not the original idea years ago when overstay taxes/fines were put in place. The idea was that anyone who hadn't pre arranged an overstay visa or extended the tourist visa was in the country illegally, to some extent, invisible, none existent. This didn't work and so overstay taxes/fines were dished out and we have the situation that has been for recent years, until now, when on the big scale of it seems to be exactly the same concept. Where by the book you are not supposed to be in the country, but most people are in the country on this overstay arrangement. You were never able to extend a tourist visa over 3 months before, and this is the idea now, the same.
Forgive me and correct me if this is not correct, but is history simply not repeating itself, they are simply making a half hearted effort at something that they couldn't do before, again.
Just the way I see it, nothing is really changing. People are supposed to extend visas as they were in the past, but didn't.:rolleyes: The 30 days tourist visa verification proves this, no?