What would you bring

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What do I bring?

- Clothes and shoes - I rarely buy any of these in the DR, because for some perverse reason I prefer natural fibres and clothes that are not skin tight. Also children's clothes and shoes - better quality/value balance in Europe. You can get very good stuff here, but for a price.

- Shower gel - even though you can buy a reasonable range here, it is much more expensive than in Europe and I'm sure the same applies to the US/Canada.

- Unfortunately I can't bring cotton sheets because European standard sizes do not fit American beds.

- Washing-up sponges - sounds crazy but they are not always available.

- Low-salt vegetable stock cubes - rare in the DR, sometimes the Santiveri brand makes an appearance but usually only when the moon is in Omega...

- Exotic spices (fenugreek, black mustard seed, cardomon pods, turmeric, garam masala) - have found most of these in Santo Domingo at some point, but not consistently.

- Agree on the vegetable peelers!

- Shreddies and Weetabix cereals - not available in the DR

- And finally, the big M - which along with the cereals is completely irrelevant to this thread!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
1. more shoes (I wear size 12E, and Dominicanos generally have small feet)
2. Miracle Whip salad dressing (I have only found horrible oily substitute mayonesa here)
3. Arm & Hammer baking soda (doesn't exist here)
4. an ATM card from a US bank (never used one before and didn't arrange for this)
5. Caribbean hot salsa (closest I have found is Tabasco sauce, which isn't spicy at all)

Just had some organic hot sauce here in Jarabacoa. Very hot- great on chicken. 200 pesos for around 350 ml. I've noticed a reasonable selection of hot sauces in the supermarket here in Jarabacoa.

Well lets see here, Everymonth when I travel to DR I get nothing but requests for

1. Excedrin Migraine casules for some reason? Everyone wants a bottle of this stuff?

2. Nathans Hot Dogs

3. Dunkin Donuts (bring these to the girls who work the jetblue flights and they will love you forever)

hermit17403

Apr 5, 2006
Good coffee, medium gorge forman grill, repellent, fly swatters, rechargeable batteries all types, vitamins, tylenol, mitchum deoderant, and a return plane tkt.

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
1. more shoes (I wear size 12E, and Dominicanos generally have small feet)
2. Miracle Whip salad dressing (I have only found horrible oily substitute mayonesa here)
3. Arm & Hammer baking soda (doesn't exist here)
4. an ATM card from a US bank (never used one before and didn't arrange for this)
5. Caribbean hot salsa (closest I have found is Tabasco sauce, which isn't spicy at all)

Hi, if you're in Santo Domingo, both La Sirena on Churchill, and Plaza Lama on the corner of Churchill and 27 de Febrero have Miracle Whip. I'm also certain that I've seen it in Supermercado Nacional. If you're not in Santo Domingo, it'd be worth trying one of these supermarkets in another location.

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
HHmmmm

Peanut butter: a small jar here is almost RD$175$ (? C$6) vs (? C$1) on special!
Maple syrup: I'm from Quebec where it runs in my blood so its indispensable for me!!!

The above are things I bring back with me every trip to Quebec!!!

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Just had some organic hot sauce here in Jarabacoa. Very hot- great on chicken. 200 pesos for around 350 ml. I've noticed a reasonable selection of hot sauces in the supermarket here in Jarabacoa.
I need to find out about this local hot sauce. I'll PM.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Things

Pepperoni Pups.... dogs are spoiled is right!!!
Bathing suits & bras of course
Natural fibre clothing is a must... these add ons are just in agreement with previous posters... except our dog has her preferance for treats.
Still looking for a veggie peeler!!!!
The Rowland Chili Sauce is a great marinade for pork, available local...

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
thing i bring

1. Sun Screen
2. Wide Brim Hat
3. Shower stuff (shampoo, shower gel, good razor, etc.)
4. Good chocolate candy to give the kids
5. Good supply of Jack Daniels