What's new in Santo Domingo?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Or more desirable locations. The majority of people I work with have been to the DR, and liked it, but the next year they might go to Aruba, Cuba, US Virgin Islands, Mexico, Panama, Honduras, Thailand, Australia, Jamaica, Hawaii.......etc.

Totally agree ! Plus, sometimes it is tiresome to always have to go "home", wherever that is. First, you don't get to see new places. Second, it is not relaxing as a real vacations as it is a marathon to see tons of relatives and friends.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Totally agree ! Plus, sometimes it is tiresome to always have to go "home", wherever that is. First, you don't get to see new places. Second, it is not relaxing as a real vacations as it is a marathon to see tons of relatives and friends.

Yup.

"Home-away-from-home" is a cozy setup at first but it creates emotional attachments which require nurturing. My 2nd trip to Santo Domingp was exactly 6 weeks after my 1st. I made 6 trips there that year and another 6 the next. In a few years of going there every other month I ended up with a network of friends to rival that at home. I travel far less now that I'm a custodial single parent (that'll change next year when the last one is off to college) and when I do go to Santo Domingo I spend most of the time visiting with and/or talking to friends. The beaches, the booze, the babes, etc. are there as secondary attractions now. I can go to any other island in the Caribbean for that (and do). It's starting to feel more like home than home with the exception of proximity to family members in the US.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
This discussion started by Ricky11 reminds me a lot of a funny remark my dominican friend made when I last visited Santiago in May.
She said to me: 'What is it with you foreigners: as soon as you arrive for the first time, you fall in love with my country, you all want to stay here, you start behaving like you own the place: you don't: it's my country, not yours ;). When you are back in your country, you are counting the days to come back to my island.
And yet, when you foreigners are here on the island that you love so much, you can't stop complaining about everything: ooh the heat, ooh the A/C doesn't work, ooh the noise, ooh the potholes in the streets, ooh the traffic is crazy, ooh the stench from the garbage, etc etc.'
In other words: accept dominican reality the way it is...
Bartolomeo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
This discussion started by Ricky11 reminds me a lot of a funny remark my dominican friend made when I last visited Santiago in May.
She said to me: 'What is it with you foreigners: as soon as you arrive for the first time, you fall in love with my country, you all want to stay here, you start behaving like you own the place: you don't: it's my country, not yours ;). When you are back in your country, you are counting the days to come back to my island.
And yet, when you foreigners are here on the island that you love so much, you can't stop complaining about everything: ooh the heat, ooh the A/C doesn't work, ooh the noise, ooh the potholes in the streets, ooh the traffic is crazy, ooh the stench from the garbage, etc etc.'
In other words: accept dominican reality the way it is...
Bartolomeo

What they say to you would make more sense and be more potent if in the same breath those people werent plotting to leave on the first thing smoking. Or first dude doped up on "Love".