What's Not Available In The Dominican Republic??

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Plenty of peanut butter in DR.

Yes, there is ...but not at a price many local people can afford! Recently purchased some small jars in Jose Luis (imported from Miami) and they were RD$98.00. So in effect, many times things are available ...but at a price.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Telecommunication

HDTV - You'll be going back in time 10 years with your TV viewing and with other telecommuications. Cell phones are national disgrace and a license to steal. Dominicans are constantly scrambling to buy phone cards to communicate with their loved ones. Price per minute in DR is 5 times the cost in the US. If you venture ouside of their proprietary systems watch out. I get perfect reception with my Verizon cell in DR & PR. If I use it in PR the minutes are part of my plan and I can call California for no charge, same call same phone in the DR costs $US 1.79 per minute. Fortunately the march of technology will put these telecom crooks out of business. Skype, WiFi, world phones etc. which now comprise just a fraction of the market will flourish as connected Dominicans start calling for free from their homes and WiFi zones. Look for the local government to block this progress for as long as it can.