Whats The Latest On Cable In Sosua

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Gal said:
Does anyone know when the boxes will be in that can be purchased, or if we can purchase one elsewhere that will work?
Thanks for any info provided!
Colleen
It's a "process". You have to go to the cable company and pay for it. Then they will appear at your "Wherever you ordered it for" and install it. They then make a call and the main computer activates it. Aparently you cannot use it a another location. ie you cannot take the one you have at home and use it in your bar. Even though there are a few channels not available at this time the picture quality is great. As for buying them elswhere I doubt they would work but I'm sure if someone finds one, they will let us know.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ABC back, but.....

It now comes from California, presently 3 hours behind us. Consequently, the programs that used to come on in the evening now come on in the late afternoon, if they come on at all.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
It now comes from California, presently 3 hours behind us. Consequently, the programs that used to come on in the evening now come on in the late afternoon, if they come on at all.
I believe it will be the opposite.
That is to say that a 9 PM show won't come on 'till midnight.
Sheeesh...
If I have to see Judge Judy's ugly rude face one more time.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
I believe it will be the opposite.
That is to say that a 9 PM show won't come on 'till midnight.
Sheeesh...
If I have to see Judge Judy's ugly rude face one more time.....

You are right. Thanks for correcting my misstatement.

Until they get whatever they must do to enable us to get all our English language channels back, you may be glad to have Judge Judy as an alternative to CNN

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
you may be glad to have Judge Judy as an alternative to CNN
Let's see..
We have CNN spouting terror tales in wholesale proportions, or, Judge Judy insulting defendants & complainants, calling them stupid everytime she doesn't like what they said (reminds me of one of your neighbours).
It's a tough decision.
One makes me puke and the other makes me angry.
I sure hope they get some channels back soon, or I'll be forced to start those renovations I've beeen putting off for the last 6 months.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, It has getting worse. Ch 35 and 61 are now gone. The only movie channel left without numerous comercial breaks is now 62. And TBS on ch 57 is still out.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Ditto

Robert said:
Nice observation ;)
I couldn't agree more. There are many things posted here that I disagree with, but often it because I think the poster has not grasped a very fundamental truth: we're not in Kansas anymore! Dominicans are VERY proud people and they will resist to the end ever admitting that they don't know the answer to WHATEVER you ask them. Strange, perhaps, but true.
Please note that these are the observations of a 18 year part-time resident, who still can't speak the language, so perhaps other, wiser, posters might care to comment.
Buzzard

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You guys are so spoilt. We have not had cable for 4 months - because of a little stand-off with the cable company on account of a broken box. See, they took our broken box and did not bring it back, but came back a few weeks later with a bill. So, we said.. No box, no cable, no pay. They say, pay first. We say, lookie here, smell this money, bring the box, make the cable work, and you can have this here money. They say - no way and go away. Next month, on 'cable pay day', the same sequence. In the mean time, our bill is getting bigger and more overdue - for no cable.

I wonder who is going to give in first ;) What do you all think, the money, or the box?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
You guys are so spoilt. We have not had cable for 4 months -
Yes, we are spoiled and why not?
What's wrong with stretching out on your bed, sipping on a Pina Colada while the maids massage your feet, and hoping to find a good movie on one of the movie channels?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
Yes, we are spoiled and why not?
What's wrong with stretching out on your bed, sipping on a Pina Colada while the maids massage your feet, and hoping to find a good movie on one of the movie channels?

That's it! Now I know what is missing in my life: a foot massaging maid.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
DavidZ said:
Do those that have the new boxes get the "missing" channels? Anyone heard anything new about whether they will be back with and/or without the box?

No news, but I am confident at least most channels will be back for those who have the box.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DavidZ said:
Do those that have the new boxes get the "missing" channels? Anyone heard anything new about whether they will be back with and/or without the box?

If you don't have the box, you can see which channels you will get with the box. That will be the channels that you can see is coded. The channels that is either just black or just "snow", we cant see with the decoder box either.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It seems that it is too coincidental that we are having the same problem receiving the US network channels in Puerto Plata. As we are serviced by a different cable company and have not gone to digital boxes, that probably is not the problem. The problem would seem to be that the networks are blocking the channels to the cable companies that have not subscribed to them (paid for access and rights to charge for rebroadcast).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
NBC is back

NBC is back in its usual place on Channel 30, replacing ABC from California that was in that spot for a couple of days. Channel 31, normally occupied by ABC, is still without a program. And now their is a movie on Channel 35, which I hope means we have HBO back.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
soon no channels??

I just lost all ESPN channels, and CNN... Eurosport, ABS, CBS etc. etc.What is happening?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I wonder if this will have a result similar to that which occurs 9 months after a major loss of television reception in the US.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Early this morning, I had virtually NO channels, all either "snow" or "scrambled"... mostly snow. about 9:30, I had ABC, NBC< HBO, ESPN, CNN, etc... then they were all going on and off, so I left! LOL... Im at the Windsurf Resort now, here in cabarete, to use the internet... mine is *supposed* to be turned on today...Im hooked up, jacked in, configured and ready...and waiting for the little "dsl" light to come on on the modem.

im stopping at the Cable Norte office to pay my bill and talk about the new box...and possibly a filter for channel 32 ;)