what's worse thatn saying "the dominican"...

A

apostropheman

well, let me tell ya! :cheeky:

i'm watching "The Day of the Jackal", the original 1973 movie. they're discussing the true identity of the the assassin and one gentleman is telling another a story about a sales rep from a arms firm that apparently killed Trullio in "Dominica". at least they got the year and the country right on the entry stamp in his passport :)

passportjackal.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Is it really wrong to refer to the Dominican Republic as "The Dominican"? I work with a Dominicano who lived in Santo Domingo for 24 years. He has been in the USA for 15 years. One day he refered to his country as The Dominican. I asked him, "What do you call your country"? His response, The Dominican.

Awhile back a well respected poster mentioned while at the airport the ticket agent, Dominicana, asked him how did he enjoy his trip in The Dominican.

So is it really wrong?

A

apostropheman

consider the location of this thread my friend :D

Is it really wrong to refer to the Dominican Republic as "The Dominican"? I work with a Dominicano who lived in Santo Domingo for 24 years. He has been in the USA for 15 years. One day he refered to his country as The Dominican. I asked him, "What do you call your country"? His response, The Dominican.

Awhile back a well respected poster mentioned while at the airport the ticket agent, Dominicana, asked him how did he enjoy his trip in The Dominican.

So is it really wrong?
i have no idea whether it's correct, acceptable, right, wrong or otherwise....but i do know that it makes some posters here go MENTAL :cheeky: ...and i like that! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's absolutely wrong to say The Dominican......'the Dominican' what???

The Dominican should only be used when referring to a person...the Dominican manager of the New York Mets...the Dominican grocery store owner...the Dominican beauty salon at the corner of...

Saying "The Dominican" when referring to The Dominican Republic makes no sense...

Yes, it's long and tedious to say the whole name...Dominican Republic...but that's what it is...and that's how it should be addressed...

BTW...great thread, 'man!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I live in the USA and sometimes when asked where I live I just reply The States. Same thing, right?

A

apostropheman

OYE!!!!

don't be getting all serious here...this is the frickin' CLOWN BIN!!!:cheeky::lick::cross-eye:classic::rolleyes:

i either say "the Dominican Republic" or if lazy the "DR" or "RD", depende....although correct or not "the Dominican" does roll off the tongue right nicely.:cheeky:

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's absolutely wrong to say The Dominican......'the Dominican' what???

The Dominican should only be used when referring to a person...the Dominican manager of the New York Mets...the Dominican grocery store owner...the Dominican beauty salon at the corner of...

Saying "The Dominican" when referring to The Dominican Republic makes no sense...

Yes, it's long and tedious to say the whole name...Dominican Republic...but that's what it is...and that's how it should be addressed...

BTW...great thread, 'man!
100% correct.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I live in the USA and sometimes when asked where I live I just reply The States. Same thing, right?
Not even remotely similar.
A fair comparison would be saying you're in the American.
Unless you're boinking your American wife at the time, it is incorrect English.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Musicqueen!

i hope so Bigbird!

siesta over brother Rocky? :)
how goes the "Rose baiting"?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A fair comparison would be saying you're in the American.
Unless you're boinking your American wife at the time, it is incorrect English.

LOL..........

Why is it that most complaints seem to come from people who were not born in the Dominican Republic?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
LOL..........

Why is it that most complaints seem to come from people who were not born in the Dominican Republic?
Would it be because 99% of DR1ers were not born here?
But if you think it counts for something, I've got 16 years in, and one might think that by now, I would know the name of the country, don't you think?

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
'Cultural' Influence

.... a Dominicano .... has been in the USA for 15 years. One day he refered to his country as The Dominican.

That does not surprise me in the least.
The Dominicans are great when it comes to emulating American nonsense, bad habits and vices.

Janin

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
:bunny:Domincan.s say we brit,s are from englantera not the united kingdom which is split in to three, scotland england and wales

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
On a somewhat related topic... I have heard Dominicans refer to their country as "Dominicana" in Spanish of course, it really isn't that uncommon. Is that correct or a bastardazation of some nueba yol term like the "Dominican"?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On a somewhat related topic... I have heard Dominicans refer to their country as "Dominicana" in Spanish of course, it really isn't that uncommon. Is that correct or a bastardazation of some nueba yol term like the "Dominican"?
I have never heard that, not even once, except if they were talking about a chica, but never the country.
Could be some local thing in your area.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
If what you heard was "voy pa' Dominicana"...well...it's still wrong...but it would be more acceptable I think that saying "The Dominican"...Although I have never heard that either, it must be, as Janin said..."emulating American nonsense"...I could not have put it better myself!!!