Wheelchair Van: Build in DR or Import from USA?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Import or build here --- that's the question.

we all just learned something here --that $450 ride.

I don't think you can lose on either option.... as I said earlier - theses boys can do good work.

If its a concern for you, how can we test the waters for the wheelchair van market here in RD?
an ad in Super Carros? in a newspaper?

if you can get a feel for the demand.... maybe you'l have 2 built.... sell one at a profit and keep one for yourself.

I'm with you about not renting. Thats a common theme from some -- rent first buy later.
Not always the option.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Because I'm very weak, and I've been disabled from birth, my body is not capable of sitting in those kinds of chairs.
My chair has very custom seating that supports my body and helps me sit. I'd need a similar manual chair. And those don't fold well, due to the custom seating.
Great idea, though! I'll talk to my chair guy about whether we could get something that would work for me and fold.

sorry, i did not know the details of your disability :( you know, you do not need a folding chair. if you get a pickup it could be easily transported without folding. providing that you have a lighter version because i remember that your chair is very heavy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I expect you will need a caregiver given the lack of handicap accessible areas here in the DR, but that shouldn't be a problem cost wise. I would get references through the local Catholic Church for suitable gentlemen and if you need any help in that regard please don't hesitate to contact me. Maybe you use this same person to do your rounds in the beginning in lieu of getting a vehicle fitted out to see how it goes.

Also, regarding your other thread about transferring money here, by far the easiest and most secure way to go about this is to keep your American bank account and change checks at a local "casa de cambio". They will in fact deliver the money to your residence.

God bless.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I dunno, I think that traveling in a wheelchair in the back of a pickup might be a bit like being a continuing Mardi Gras float..and perhaps the OP could pull it off if he had some sort of bangles or stuff to give out to the crowds but if it were me, I would want a van..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I dunno, I think that traveling in a wheelchair in the back of a pickup might be a bit like being a continuing Mardi Gras float..and perhaps the OP could pull it off if he had some sort of bangles or stuff to give out to the crowds but if it were me, I would want a van..

that would be quite a sight but i meant the chair to travel on the back of a pickup and the guy inside the cabin :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No... I like the idea of a King Tut type riding aloft...... parasol in hand....
like the PopeMobile in Rome.........

just watch those underpasses..........

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Anyone know anything about those GoNow minivans I see on SuperCarros for like $9,000? Are they complete pieces of crap, or worth considering? If they're not junk, that might be a cheap way to get going.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
sorry, i did not know the details of your disability :( you know, you do not need a folding chair. if you get a pickup it could be easily transported without folding. providing that you have a lighter version because i remember that your chair is very heavy.

No need to apologize! You're not psychic, and I don't mind explaining.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Your van will have a big smile face and be the center of attention.. be prepared for Mardi Gras

Here is what Gonow have to say about the Way (and this quote is verbatim):
?Face masks: Handsome front face with streamlined body, and decorated crystal headlights,which make you become the focus at any where. highlighted front,big smile face, traditional apperance of minivan , leading the minvan industry,and to create a classic legend.

360? security: Tough body is made of import steel, which is the one by stamping one-time,strengthen the capacity of the side crash,the high strenth front bumper beam,always ensure your safety. Collapsing structure of the body design, the high strength front bumper beam, the high plasticity and absorbing energy cabin structure,thicken,reinforced doors,the arc-shaped design of center console,360?security at every where.?

The most important facts to burn in your memory are that the top speed is 120 km per hour, it weighs 1020 kilos and is 3.7 metres long, shorter than a Ford Fiesta* (the dashboard of which the Gonow?s seems to resemble). If you?re interested, a brand new Way is available for ?7800 from a dealer in Kassel.

Beyond the Motoring Mainstream | Driven To Write

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
O Round Wheeled One....

I would love to see this project come to fruition... and I'll help.

I have good car people on the north coast

think about it -- if you want help,,, yo puedo.

Here now until Aug 12 returning Nov 1 for many months.

For shipping all your stuff.... Awilda Shipping in Corona NY
I will have a big load going aboard mid-October before the Christmas rush..... 3 week delivery

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
WW are you bringing in a container? would the ramp fit in? Because I worried about the cost of importing the ramp with the ITIBIS on stuff more than $200. Here is a group that might know about things that are available here Taller de Sillas de Ruedas So even if WO does have to import something, they might be able to bring it in for him tax exempt.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the mudanzas have a system MA..... one cost shipping.

he can ship the apparatus anytime he wants w/ Awilda.... 3 containers a week they have -- more at Christmas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the mudanzas have a system MA..... one cost shipping.

he can ship the apparatus anytime he wants w/ Awilda.... 3 containers a week they have -- more at Christmas

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Anyone know anything about those GoNow minivans I see on SuperCarros for like $9,000? Are they complete pieces of crap, or worth considering? If they're not junk, that might be a cheap way to get going.

I would recommend seeing any vehicle before you buy it and may need to be wary of the Chinese brands because they have a reputation for breaking frequently. Give yourself some time and be flexible with the vehicle type. I'm sure you can find someone on the forum to help you out in this regard when you get here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WO

I am here about 7 months a year.... all winter and 6-7 weeks in the summer -- like now

when you get ready, we can try and get an idea of a vehicle and its cost.
meanwhile, investigate the conversion kits... as I said, it takes 3 weeks to arrive from NYC

I buy things online and have them shipped directly to Awilda who then ship it to my casa.... no muss, no fuss, no duty - all built in to the shipping price.

just let me know what I can do to help.
(I hate the PM system here.... e-mail me next time)

good luck

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
I expect you will need a caregiver given the lack of handicap accessible areas here in the DR, but that shouldn't be a problem cost wise. I would get references through the local Catholic Church for suitable gentlemen and if you need any help in that regard please don't hesitate to contact me. Maybe you use this same person to do your rounds in the beginning in lieu of getting a vehicle fitted out to see how it goes.

Yes, I'll need a caregiver or two. That's great advice, to go through the Church for referrals, thanks!

Also, regarding your other thread about transferring money here, by far the easiest and most secure way to go about this is to keep your American bank account and change checks at a local "casa de cambio". They will in fact deliver the money to your residence.

Wow, delivered! Sweet. ;)