When expats decide to throw in the towel and return to the 1st World...

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
We first moved here (winters only) approximately 8 years ago and full time 5 years ago. Once we had made the decision to live here we started to look for a house. The viewing process and then building absorbed much of the next 3 years - at DR pace, then like Bob we didn't seem to have enough to do. So now we have a major input into a local charity - very time consuming - and I also work for free one day a week in a local book shop. This shop buys books from customers including leaving ex-pats.

From book readers who leave the reason for returning home seems to be the draw of grand children or finally missing cultural items from home such as the opera or really enormous book stores where you can browse all day, drink coffee and get wonderful bargains.

Another experience of ex-pats is that those who return home for a period of (at least) several weeks each year complain far less about the DR than those who seldom leave the island.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I wonder how many go home then feel they made a mistake in going home when they realise its not the same place that they left

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Been back to the U.S a few times and only to bring back a bunch of "stuff". Couldn't wait to get back to my final years of doing nada except eat, sleep, and look at the women. Then I wish I came here 30 years ago.

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
For those that have made a choice to live here. One of the major things you must do when you decide to "live" here vs "visiting" here is you must live some type of life with a purpose. You just cannot logically sit on a bar stool for all eternity (or can you?). I am pleased to read that many volunteer their time with a charity or for something like a book store. I keep busy helping several children (I am a padrino) and I do a lot of work with a local school. So, bouncing back and forth between the little ones and the school I stay busy. Whatever it is, find a purpose in your life and enjoy!

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For those that have made a choice to live here. One of the major things you must do when you decide to "live" here vs "visiting" here is you must live some type of life with a purpose. You just cannot logically sit on a bar stool for all eternity (or can you?). I am pleased to read that many volunteer their time with a charity or for something like a book store. I keep busy helping several children (I am a padrino) and I do a lot of work with a local school. So, bouncing back and forth between the little ones and the school I stay busy. Whatever it is, find a purpose in your life and enjoy!
Good points.

Life needs purpose, and a barstool is an empty one, IMO.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sometimes you just wanna go where everybody knows your name
Top of the Organization Chart?

I don't know how folks do nothing but hang around and drink.

Hell, I've been busier since I "retired" than before...

I guess opinions vary...

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
For me, its 1. too many ladrones and pirates 2. too much corruption 3. lousy quality everywhere Other than that, no problemo, another day in paradise!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i would have thrown in the towel long ago if not for the fact that when i've had enough "paradise", i jump on a plane and go back to the states for a while. it's not long before the grass starts looking greener. the ability to be in miami in less than two hours eliminates the all or nothing, kinda tough for those from europe, expensive - long flight, but that's what works for me.........

?

? bient?t

Paradise: A huge Barnes & Noble, a secure place for my future roadster, lots of females to look at, y adi?s los Estados Juntos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
paradise: peopleless library with free buffet :)
i would pack my bags in an instant and never look back should my relationship fail. miesposo is the only reason i am here.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
i have seen my share of expat deciding they had enough in my 4 years now in DR...but mainly people just new commit.. if you always think if things go wrong ill move back you never really give DR a fair chance..as some one else wrote on this thread Living here is like a marrige..so if you get marrie and think if things dont work out you wil lget a divorce.. thne your dreams of expat life here will have the same fate..
Commit to your life style, change your habits open your heart ,mind and house to the local dominicans...and them maybe then when marranziny takes the light and Corasan does not give you water.. you will not cry out loud I hate this country...beach is more Than just water,light beaches and cold presidente...
I love this pieces of land and god willing will not move back to USA..I have had my ups and down but always bounce back up.