When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind, the legislature has to agree with the president to keep the country closed. They are incrementally doing this a couple of weeks at a time because they don't want to give the president too much power. Eventually, they will have to stop. Nobody knows when eventually is.

Erdocp

Jun 25, 2019
Hey guys I am looking for some credible information as to when the Dom Rep will open again for incoming International flights? I have heard April 3rd, April 15, May 31 and beyond. Does anyone have any insight into this?
United Airlines is starting it's service to Newark NJ on May 23rd once a week on Saturdays only. Next flight after that is May 3oth. As per United web site

Sep 22, 2009
The sad truth is all the contagion we need is already in the country. They can't keep the Dominicans isolated during the day no one seems to care at the barrio level. In the tourist zones, esp what I see here in everything cabarete, they can't keep the gringos corralled either. The traffic is horrific during the day. Harleys up and down the strip and the tigueres in coro all day. The curfew ends a 6am, but I see major movement from 430am. Essential?? It's all laughable. What's not laughable is how this virus will rip through this country if the folks don't wake up.

Reactions: aarhus

David B

Aug 31, 2017
JetBlue is now doing rolling cancellations. Whereas they were showing flights to the DR starting May 1, 2020, they are now showing their first flights beginning May 7, 2020. And if Medina keeps the country closed for an additional 15 days in May as is anticipated, more flights will get cancelled.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Actually, there's a flight scheduled out of POP destination JFK Saturday, May 2nd.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
No one can confirm, the testing is minimal, the published numbers are questionable, and I'm not an expert nor would I pretend to be.

But I'm with you, my thinking is that if it's there (that's confirmed) and social distancing is minimal at best, then it must be ripping through.

Things I'm not sure of -

+How many people get sick / die and don't bother going to the hospital for variety of reasons- (b/c the faster is goes through then the sooner there's a heard immunity)

+How strong the general population immune system already is - ( the health care system doesn't generally keep the marginally healthy people alive the same way a more advance system can)

and to bring it back to topic

+How long after it goes through (and the DR open) until tourists are going to come back in mass - not the hard cores that will always come, but the general masses

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think it is all over the place, but I can't personally confirm. Can you?
Based on testing in Santa Clara there are 5 times as many people with anti-bodies than those who sought treatment. There are a lot of people, when not pressed onto confined spaces or in cities with high NO2 levels, who can shake the virus naturally - we need to expose the populace by reopening circulation to create a group barrier to its spread. Yes many may get symptoms but at least now doctors can attack it with certain drug cocktails or plasma

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
United Airlines is starting it's service to Newark NJ on May 23rd once a week on Saturdays only. Next flight after that is May 3oth. As per United web site

Looks like they have cancelled both those flights? United’s website is now showing NO flights at all in May to any of the four airports in the DR that they have previously serviced (POP,STI,SDQ,PUJ).

Jan 9, 2004
Actually, there's a flight scheduled out of POP destination JFK Saturday, May 2nd.

That may very well be a repatriation flight out of the DR and not scheduled service..............but my post referenced flights to the DR.

I still continue to believe JetBlue will not be offering regularly scheduled service to the DR until at least May 15th.....no matter what the current schedule might indicate. We may have an answer when/if the State of Emergency Powers for the President of the DR are extended/concluded.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Airlines owe customers 10 billion in refunds/rebooking what’s another 2 billion in May ;) ...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just because you "booked" a flight does not mean you will travel to the DR on it. The airlines have no idea when the DR will be open and will accept arrivals.

The airlines are happy to take your money and book flights which they can cancel.

Wait until the DR announces it will be open and book your flight after that announcement.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just because you "booked" a flight does not mean you will travel to the DR on it. The airlines have no idea when the DR will be open and will accept arrivals.

The airlines are happy to take your money and book flights which they can cancel.

Wait until the DR announces it will be open and book your flight after that announcement.

It has been said 1504 times throughout this tread.

End Thread :)

Reactions: House

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020

As I was just one hour ago looking at the same topic for DR-Europe flights which in theory should start may 19 (Condor) - I do not believe in that date - although I do think the numbers in Germany will be down by then to single cases per day, but no so in DR - however I was thinking if they lift the restrictions (at whatever date) these very same flights may sell out in minutes or go up in price to beyond 1000 Euro - Condor is one of the airlines with steep on demand pricing.

This sounds like a new pastime, to book and book again and book again....to be in front of the line once it happens.

This would be for me the ONE argument not to wait till after an announcement.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That may very well be a repatriation flight out of the DR and not scheduled service..............but my post referenced flights to the DR.

I still continue to believe JetBlue will not be offering regularly scheduled service to the DR until at least May 15th.....no matter what the current schedule might indicate. We may have an answer when/if the State of Emergency Powers for the President of the DR are extended/concluded.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I agree that perhaps the border won't be open but JB has regular service reservations on line as early as May 9th. (and a scheduled return flight)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend flew Saturday.....
SDQ-JFK-LHR

Friday he flies to Paris.... stays overnite and goes to his final destination

It seems it can be done..
I mentioned earlier-- watch that USA connection
He's married to an American - hence had entry permission

The US- Canada border is virtually closed --

Fewer than 10 asylum seekers tried to cross since border closure: Blair
Author of the article:
The Canadian Press
Publishing date:
22 hours ago • 1 minute read
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair is seen during a news conference in Ottawa, Monday April 20, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair is seen during a news conference in Ottawa, Monday April 20, 2020. ADRIAN WYLD / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Article Sidebar
TRENDING
Article content
OTTAWA — The federal public safety minister says fewer than 10 asylum seekers have been turned back to the U.S. since the historic shutdown of the border.
Bill Blair provided the figure to the House of Commons today, noting it has been almost a month since the Canada-U.S. border closed to all but non-essential travel to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I'm sure the US can approve a visa waiver even these days, ESTA is valid for two years. It still doesn't guarantee entry to the US. Those who travel to / through the US on ESTA hold a passport from one of the visa waiver countries, most European countries but also Japan, South Korea, New Zealand. Europeans traveling back to Europe were probably considered repatriated, brought home. Trump closed the border for regular flights from the European Union and the UK a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.