When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
United States of America, Department of State U.S. Embassy in the
Dominican Republic

flag

Great Seal of the United States
Coronavirus Information for the Dominican Republic

Ask a COVID-19 Question

The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Updated June 2, 2020
Country-Specific Information:
  • The Dominican Republic has 17,752 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 515 confirmed deaths.
  • The President of the Dominican Republic extended the State of Emergency for an additional 12 days. The curfew will remain in place through June 13th. The curfew hours remain Monday through Saturday 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Sunday 5 p.m. to 5 a.m.
  • Masks are required in all public spaces in the Dominican Republic.
  • Ferry flights continue to be available through Jetblue and United Airlines. Contact the airlines directly to make a reservation.
  • U.S. citizens who wish to depart the Dominican Republic should do so immediately or be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
  • The Dominican Republic has put in place a number of measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 including:
      • A national curfew that prohibits all traffic and movement of people.
      • Creation of a national hotline for questions relating to COVID-19 if you have been exposed or are experiencing severe symptoms. Call *462 for further instructions, but note that English-speaking operators are limited.
      • Cruise arrivals have been suspended at all ports and coasts.
      • On May 20, some public transportation services, including buses, metro trains, and cable cars restarted with social distancing guidelines and reduced schedules.
      • Events and public gatherings of all kinds suspended.
      • Roadblocks have been set up at various points throughout the country prohibiting internal travel in the country. U.S. citizens with urgent travel, including travel to the airport for departure, should be prepared to present supporting documentation to the Dominican authorities at each check point.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
  • Effective at 6 am on March 19, the President of the Dominican Republic suspended the arrival of incoming passengers and has effectively closed the borders of the Dominican Republic for an initial period of 15 days. While the President announced that outbound flights will continue to ferry foreigners out of the Dominican Republic to their home countries. Contact your airline to indicate demand for these services.
Quarantine Information:
  • The Dominican Republic has local capacity to diagnose the COVID-19 through the National Public Health Laboratory. The Ministry of Health advises of mandatory quarantine or self-quarantine for COVID-19 positive patients. Please call *462 for further instructions.

Sep 22, 2009
Dominican Republic

flag

Ask a COVID-19 Question

The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Updated June 2, 2020
  • The Dominican Republic has 17,752 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 515 confirmed deaths.
  • The President of the Dominican Republic extended the State of Emergency for an additional 12 days. The curfew will remain in place through June 13th. The curfew hours remain Monday through Saturday 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Sunday 5 p.m. to 5 a.m.
  • Ferry flights continue to be available through Jetblue and United Airlines. Contact the airlines directly to make a reservation.
  • U.S. citizens who wish to depart the Dominican Republic should do so immediately or be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
  • The Dominican Republic has put in place a number of measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 including:
      • Creation of a national hotline for questions relating to COVID-19 if you have been exposed or are experiencing severe symptoms. Call *462 for further instructions, but note that English-speaking operators are limited.
      • On May 20, some public transportation services, including buses, metro trains, and cable cars restarted with social distancing guidelines and reduced schedules.
      • Roadblocks have been set up at various points throughout the country prohibiting internal travel in the country. U.S. citizens with urgent travel, including travel to the airport for departure, should be prepared to present supporting documentation to the Dominican authorities at each check point.
  • Effective at 6 am on March 19, the President of the Dominican Republic suspended the arrival of incoming passengers and has effectively closed the borders of the Dominican Republic for an initial period of 15 days. While the President announced that outbound flights will continue to ferry foreigners out of the Dominican Republic to their home countries. Contact your airline to indicate demand for these services.
Quarantine Information:
  • The Dominican Republic has local capacity to diagnose the COVID-19 through the National Public Health Laboratory. The Ministry of Health advises of mandatory quarantine or self-quarantine for COVID-19 positive patients. Please call *462 for further instructions.
There is nothing worse than blind copy/paste public information

It's even already in English to add insult to injury

• Haha
Reactions: Africaida

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
So it does not depend really on what the DR wants to do. Can Americans travel under a Global Level 4 Health Advisory ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I

In my case, I have two options if I can return in July. Stay at a friends house or rent an apartment in his community. I would prefer that to staying in a resort. There are plenty of small boutique hotels, condos, villas, and other types of non resort accommodations available in many North Coast tourist areas. Some, I suspect, will be available at cheaper rates.

Eco
there is still the question if they will even allow 'free range' tourists in in the the first waves.
they seem to be saying they will control the incoming tourists -
airport pickup - hotel shuttle - return to airport

I expect Residency people will be allowed to roam..... I expect ...

Sep 22, 2009
Eco
there is still the question if they will even allow 'free range' tourists in in the the first waves.

How will they control/enforce this it doesn't seem practical

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bus to the hotel..... where nobody is allowed out....then bus back to departing flight

Remember ?
much talk about here....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seems workable enough....
Just need to separate the employees.......

But doesn't allow non-residents into the country.....
problematic for many..... property owners who don't have Residency

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Eco

Sounds like a normal AI vacation.

Reactions: cavok
Sep 22, 2009
Seems workable enough....
Just need to separate the employees.......

But doesn't allow non-residents into the country.....
problematic for many..... property owners who don't have Residency
I don't know why folks would acquire assets here without at least residency. This was an issue for many condo owners up there in the Farallones/Catalina.

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
Dominican Republic

flag

Ask a COVID-19 Question

Updated June 2, 2020
Quarantine Information:

This travel advisory update yesterday, June 2, can still change by the time airports are supposed to open. Let's see if the same advisory will remain for July.

Reactions: Mcinbrass

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So it does not depend really on what the DR wants to do. Can Americans travel under a Global Level 4 Health Advisory ?
The very clear answer for those from the USA is in the link

and I quote

If you decide to travel abroad or are already outside the United States:

Feb 7, 2007
Bus to the hotel..... where nobody is allowed out....then bus back to departing flight

Remember ?
much talk about here....

And meanwhile they will be mixing with the locals who will also take advantage of bargain resort pricing ...

Rainieri assured that the tourism sector is going to present a series of proposals to the Government to relaunch the industry quickly, which will include a reduction in rates.

The head of the Puntacana Group said that he does not want to talk about a "tariff war", but pointed out that "definitely" they will have to "adjust" prices.

“Everyone will have to make (tariff) concessions.... the hotels, the airports, the carriers. Everyone is going to have to give in. The State too, ”he said.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes. It is an advisory only that was increased one level with covid19. On the same page you can find similar advisories for just about any country. The language is basically "Do not travel there, stay home." (my response to that is "There is greater risk where I am now. Level 4 or higher now that there is uncontrollable rioting in the streets.").

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Eco

That would severely restrict my plans WW. I plan to pick up a rental car, and avoid the resorts. I’m not there for the booze and the beaches. I’m there to spend time with my friends from Sosua to Luperon. Logistically it’s going to be hard to herd and contain Resort guests for one and two week periods. In Playa Dorada, you simply walk out the main gate, and hail public transportation. No self respecting taxis driver, desperate for tourist income, is going to refuse you. The one thing I would avoid are the guaguas. Ten people jammed into a small space is not my idea of distancing. Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.