Where do all those rental cars end up?

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
But if it was manufactured in the USA doesn't carfax show who it was sold to when it was exported to the DR? Or maybe carfax just shows the Date it was exported and doesn't show the DR S.A.
Vehicles man'd in the US have a Certificate of Origin. No title. That vehicle could be swapped or sold between numerous dealers. It doesn't receive a title until purchased and registered with State. Thus your spanking new vehicle could have numerous miles on it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would contact a rental company directly to ask that question.

In NoAmerica, I have bought such vehicles.... they definitely sell them... and I suspect any 'rolling back' is done by the dealer/buyer.

Go to the airport office... guaranteed -- employees get a shot at purchasing them

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Sounds like the car Bus. on Jerome Ave.
Their were (are?) a couple lanes at the Newburgh Auction that were Scary. Dealers I worked with sent their rats there. Did most buying at Northway.
Poster does bring up a good idea. Well worth checking into.
Much of the Used DR crop have been stamped Salvage in the US. Probably where most flood vehicles end up.

I was shopping for a 'new' used car for myself last month around the Moca /Santiago area dealers and you need to be careful. There are a lot of undeclared and recovered flood salvaged recent cars for sale.

A rusty underbody,suspension and brakes on a recent car should not be present and is a giveaway.Saltwater damage.Some had the incorrect engine fitted as well so you'll need to check carefully.

I didn't buy....

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
In the states the rental car company's have their own resale or "used car lots" . I remember seeing them in California and Nevada. I am sure they use other means as well but they sell at least some of them as used rental units.

Jan 9, 2004
In all the discussion here, I think it should be pointed out that it is probably prudent to avoid buying a former daily rental.

Many states require dealers to disclose to consumers that the car was a former daily rental.

The reason(s) for this include the abuse the vehicle may suffer (its not my car attitude of renters), a drivers usual unfamiliarity with an areas road conditions/hazards (like hitting those "sleeping police" in the DR at 50 mph....I have seen that one lots of times), lack of or the foregoing of maintenance, etc.

Note: This is not to be confused with a leased vehicle. Those tend to be cared for far better than their daily rental couisins.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Medic5916

Jul 11, 2014