where to buy Larimar rocks

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You don't say where you are in DR. The larimar is from the Barahona area, mostly around Barahouco. Sounds like you're just looking for the rocks, not set in jewelry???? That would probably be the place to go. Depending on the size your looking for, and if you want them raw or polished.

We saw a lot of roadside stands with bottles filled with larimar stones out there, but they are small.

I bought a couple of those bottles, there are in the small Brugal "extra Viejo" bottles I think they were 400 DOP EACH

May 29, 2006
What is the going rate of blue amber?

Hard to give a standard value per gram since like larimar it can all different sizes and grades. You get more per gram for bigger pieces. It has value simply as a collectible stone even without polishing and setting.

As for cutting larimar that is one of the biggest problems with it. It can be frangible(sp?) which means you can be working on it and then have the thing disintegrate on you. I had the issue selling a slab to a local jeweler who wanted to cut his own cabs and ended up with a bunch of sharp blue granules. You can't always get the shape you want.

Another guy I did business with was thinking about doing a chess board with Larimar and Lapis, but he changed his mind when he realized the pieces would be too hard to cut.

Last edited: