Where to Cash a Western Union Money Order?

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Money Orders and Fraud

Hi Everyone,

My bestfriend here in Canada works for Money Mart and deals with money orders everyday. She recently sold her Golf Clubs and the guy that was to purchase them sent her money orders. Guess what...they were FAKE. She verified them with the bank that they were from ( CIBC ) and now the guy who gave them to her is in big trouble with fraud. I would be very careful with large sum money orders.

She has also seen many Westen Union money orders that were not real.

To the OP. I would try and contact the bank or the other place that they were purchased from to verify that they are real first.

Sorry if I am over stepping anything here.

Cheers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure these money orders are alright. They were sent to pay the next 2 months rent.

We called Western Union today and learned that money orders are not supposed to be sent outside of the US because of the problem we are experiencing. What do you do with them when you get them. We were told we had 3 options. Deposit them in a US bank account if we had a US account; send them back to the sender and tell him to send the money in another way; apply for a refund. We were told that under the circumstances you did not have to be the purchaser to get a refund. Sending a report with photo copies of the checks would be sufficient. The refund would be in the form of a Western Union check that could be cashed or deposited in the normal way here.

Thanks for all the comments and suiggestions.