Where to live for the best golf?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
If money is not an obstacle, Casa de Campo, hands down, no matter what the rest of DR1 community says. If money is, but it still will not be cheap, Punta Cana. Keep in mind when reading my "opinion" I am a P.G.A. club professional.

And what, amateur opinions don?t count? :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If money is not an obstacle, Casa de Campo, hands down, no matter what the rest of DR1 community says. If money is, but it still will not be cheap, Punta Cana. Keep in mind when reading my "opinion" I am a P.G.A. club professional.
Are you a teaching pro? Where do you live? :surprised

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In Juan Dolio?
Metro and Guavaberry?
Metro is 18 ugly holes with little to recommend it but the clubhouse and the organization that brings in some nice tourneys.
Guavaberry is a gorgeous, brilliantly designed course. I have not been there all that much, but hope to go there a bit more often. I have met soe great people there.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
She's not, as far as I know - must be researching on someone else's behalf. But it would be nice if she moved to the east, golfer or no golfer.

thanks, Chiri! Yes, you guessed that I am not a golfer -now how did you guess ? the abmyssal ecological disaster of the courses? the high cost? But I used to scuba dive and sail and neither of those are sports for peasants either... Now I just swim... open opportunity.

And yes, I was asking for research. Do golfers want different courses? I mean do they want to play a lot of different courses? And how often would they play ? like once a week? twice ? more?

thanks for all the input!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry to hear you're not planning to move eastwards!

To be fair, the "ecological disaster" is worse in some places than others.

Some of the golf courses like the ones in Punta Cana Resort & Club use paspalum grass which can be irrigated with salt water, or they recycle their waste water for irrigation. Maybe you could add that to your research?

I'm not a golfer so maybe someone else can help with the other questions.

:)

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
Since I work at a golf course here in Canada, golf is always on tv. Well, today the tv show "Big Break" came on. What do you know, the new season is in Dominican!

This might give you some nice pics or info about the courses ... here's the website:

Big Break Dominican Republic Overview

It might not have what you're looking for, but I thought it might be interesting to look at.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
To answer the question of where is the best place to live to play golf on a regular basis , the answer has to be where you can join a club and play with other people .You can not do this at the resort courses as there are not clubs and visitors are not looking for a retiree to join them.
So in the capital you can look at the Santo Domingo Country Club. in Juan Dolio you can look at Metro or Guavaberry for both living and playing, in Casa de Campo you can try to join the very expensive Country Club and in Punta Cana you can live and play at Cocotal and that is about it .I think in all those places you could find people also in retirement looking for golf partners

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You also have:
Santiago: Las Aromas-a small, neat and demanding course with a vibrant and lively membership, and inexpensive green fees.
Close by is : Jarabacoa with exciting and long 9 holes by Robt. T. Jones Jr. and great people
Puerto Plata: with Playa Dorada and for a while at least Playa Grande.

There are also courses in Bonao and Coast Ambar.

Unless 'sol y playa' are an integral part of the equation, I would bet on a location that is 1) Inexpensive yet comfortable and safe, with access to good meds and 2) where golf is available on a near daily basis at affordable prices.

Both Santiago and Puerto Plata as well as Jarabacoa fit the bill.

Of course, if these are people with a very large retirement budget, well into the millions, I would then say La Romana, baby, La Romana.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
thanks, Chiri! Yes, you guessed that I am not a golfer -now how did you guess ? the abmyssal ecological disaster of the courses? the high cost? But I used to scuba dive and sail and neither of those are sports for peasants either... Now I just swim... open opportunity.

And yes, I was asking for research. Do golfers want different courses? I mean do they want to play a lot of different courses? And how often would they play ? like once a week? twice ? more?

thanks for all the input!

No pesticides or fertilizers used on the gold course in Jarabacoa. If there were it would be in much nicer shape. It is fine the way it is but more money would improve the course, not doubt. Personally I prefer the chalenge of playing new course, but like HB says, it?s is really about `playing golf with good people.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
La Cana: membership vs. Fedogolf greenfee prices

as posted by BermudaRum: La Cana G.C. $48.00/$136.00
Not sure if these prices include the cart.

For comparison annual membership at La Cana for 2010 was 1800 USD.
Playing twice a week all year = 17.3 USD + Cart 25 USD = 42.3 USD/round
This falls in the 25-50 USD/round range which was established earlier as 'not breaking the bank'
You can actually walk the course for free after 4PM but you'd probably just get 9 holes in then.
Further you get a few reduced greenfees at Corales and access to Hacienda when it opens across the street. It's just 9 holes to begin with though.

I long for the Las Lagunas membership prices I had to pay when we lived in SD. Annual membership was approx. 25000 pesos when I left, paying 700 pesos for the cart = 940 pesos/round if you played twice a week all year.
Plus you could get wasted on the 19th for the same price as one drink will cost you on the La Cana terrace. But I guess you have to pay for the view.

Some of the courses here on the east coast will let you play for FEDO-golf greenfee prices if you have a cedula. I know Punta Blanca and Catalonia do for sure.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I did not mention Santiago nor Puerta Plata because I did not know people retired there but they may be other alternatives .I agree it all depends on a retiree?s budget .

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Never lived in Santiago

Hillbilly, I never lived in Santiago. Started in Boca Chica for years and ended in Santo Domingo a couple of years ago. Been all over the island though. Played golf all over the island also. What you say about Casa De Campo was the same as of last year, my last time there.

I agree with DR Golfer...I wonder if he lives in Santiago??? We have a great former PGA pro here too...

The quality of the people and the layouts in Casa de Campo are outstanding, unless they have changes a lot over the past 5 years or so..

HB

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Amateur opinions....

Amateur opinions count as much as "PGA" opinions if you are taking into account all levels of golfers. That was my point when I stated I am a club professional, not that my word is better or worse, my opinion was based on the knowledge of accomodating all levels.

And what, amateur opinions don?t count? :cheeky:

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I second Hillbilly's thoughts

Metro, well, is not great. Better than nothing, yes, but not at all at the level of the other course, Guavaberry.

Just curious, what is the community's opinion on the 2 golf courses in Juan Dolio?
Thanks!!

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Club Professional

I am back in the states now, Massachusetts. I am a club professional, do some teaching but mostly entertain the members I guess you can call it....

Are you a teaching pro? Where do you live? :surprised

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
My opinion

Teeth and Dye are the best of the 4. Beautiful scenery on both. Links is nice conditions, but kind of lose the imagery. I am very familiar with the area and had some good times in La Romana, mostly done with some of the Dominican members from Casa, not to sure about the tourist areas.

Could you be more specific: Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore or Links?

Villas in walking distance to the La Romana Marina, around 2500 usd.
Same price for three stories condo overlooking the Marina. Less quality for 1200 usd.

La Romana Marina is nice place to be, 7000 acres hotel resort, and residential, there is Altos de Chavon, a 16th century replica of a Mediterranean village (and extremely boring place, for me, I am 38). Also when you walk out (drive out) of the resort, there is a town La Romana.

What's happening | Casa De Campo

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I need to disagree here

I have about 13 years of experience at Casa De Campo. A game (match, or whatever you want to call it) can be had very easily. Mention to the Starter that you are looking to join others, he will find a group for you. There are alot of tourist that are eager to play with locals or expats, and then there is the locals who also like to see if they can beat the expat, etc...
Casa De Campo does have an association within, I don't know much about it, but have played with many of them, one being the ex MLB player George Bell. Yes, these guys are more affluent than the typical Dominican, but I had a good time with them. They take the game seriously.

To answer the question of where is the best place to live to play golf on a regular basis , the answer has to be where you can join a club and play with other people .You can not do this at the resort courses as there are not clubs and visitors are not looking for a retiree to join them.
So in the capital you can look at the Santo Domingo Country Club. in Juan Dolio you can look at Metro or Guavaberry for both living and playing, in Casa de Campo you can try to join the very expensive Country Club and in Punta Cana you can live and play at Cocotal and that is about it .I think in all those places you could find people also in retirement looking for golf partners

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes ,,the association plays on average once a month but I think this retiree wants a daily game . I have never been able to find any one to play with there on the times I have been alone .
As to the question of the two courses at Juan Dolio ,Metro is flat and not very interesting but not expensive and has residents. Guavaberry is an interesting couse and at present in good condition but does not have a good water supply and dries out easily and is often very hot and has a problem with mosquitoes. However there are private homes there so games may be more easily found

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I am quite surprised..

I am very surprised that you were not able to find anyone to play with on a daily basis. Yes, its not like here in the states where the same groups play 5 times a week at the same time. I did though have no problem finding someone to play with when that is what I wanted. Quite often it was home owners down for a couple of weeks. Anyway that is how it went for me. I think one thing that you must consider on my comments, my time there was NEVER in the June - August time period. I think that may have something to do with it also. I was there during mostly "peak" time. I also do speak english and spanish although a definite gringo.......got the big white belly and everything.... I do agree with you on the 2 Juan Dolio courses.

Yes ,,the association plays on average once a month but I think this retiree wants a daily game . I have never been able to find any one to play with there on the times I have been alone .
As to the question of the two courses at Juan Dolio ,Metro is flat and not very interesting but not expensive and has residents. Guavaberry is an interesting couse and at present in good condition but does not have a good water supply and dries out easily and is often very hot and has a problem with mosquitoes. However there are private homes there so games may be more easily found