Where to live in the DR??

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Really, that many hookers? Well, thats not good AZB.. Like the person mentioned above, spending the summer in the DR will help us get a better idea of what areas will be good for a family. On your advice, I will start looking at Saniago, and see what it has available, but I must tell you that we want to be by the coast. Its kind of a deal breaker.. On the up side, hookers need their hair and nails done often so to me hookers = $$$$$! Haha, just kidding, take it easy... We dont really go out very often for dinner and entertainment, maybe 2 times a month, so we may be able to tolerate it, but maybe not. I dont plan on letting my children roam the commercial streets of Sosua at night alone EVER, and as for my daughter, well shes not allowed to date until shes 32. Seriously though, thank you for letting me know about the hookers, it is something we will check out when we are down. Thanks again for the heads up!

Thanks!
Jennie

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
Really, that many hookers? Well, thats not good AZB.. Like the person mentioned above, spending the summer in the DR will help us get a better idea of what areas will be good for a family. On your advice, I will start looking at Saniago, and see what it has available, but I must tell you that we want to be by the coast. Its kind of a deal breaker.. On the up side, hookers need their hair and nails done often so to me hookers = $$$$$! Haha, just kidding, take it easy... We dont really go out very often for dinner and entertainment, maybe 2 times a month, so we may be able to tolerate it, but maybe not. I dont plan on letting my children roam the commercial streets of Sosua at night alone EVER, and as for my daughter, well shes not allowed to date until shes 32. Seriously though, thank you for letting me know about the hookers, it is something we will check out when we are down. Thanks again for the heads up!

Thanks!
Jennie
You said that jokingly,but that would be the clientel where you could get the most Money.They beleive in getting their Hair and Nails done.

Reactions: FernieBee

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
If I had kids, i would never move to the coast, especially the north coast. try spending time out in the commercial streets of sosua at night, even cabarete. Count how many hookers there are on streets. I would never take my girlfriend or even advice my sister to visit sosua town at night. Just not the place for decent folks.
The beach is wonderful.
remember, your attractive daughter will be growing up among these people. Would you like to have a street pimp as your son-in-law? happens to many people. just look at the boyfriends foreign ladies have there. Not a single one worth bragging about.
Puerto plata is better option but still, its the coast, sort of like a campo with beach. no real culture, very few classy dominicans. Just try going to a bar or a disco there at night. Even when you are having dinner in a family restaurant, just watch how many foreign men dinning there with their hooker girlfriends.
I say come to santiago. This is there the real dominican starts from.
AZB (beta version 2.0 with few bugs)
I am curios what type of culure are you talking about Western Culture? Are you saying that Santiago is More like the Us.,Canada and Britain.That they have a Class System there? Could you explain why you think thats where the real Domincan starts from?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am curios what type of culure are you talking about Western Culture? Are you saying that Santiago is More like the Us.,Canada and Britain.That they have a Class System there? Could you explain why you think thats where the real Domincan starts from?

Now that you have seen sosua and coast, why not spend some time in santiago? See it for yourself. Its a whole different country out here.
AZB

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Thanks!
Jennie

Hi Jennie,
If you prefer the coast then why don't you look at Juan Dolio, 45 mins away from Santo Domingo, beautiful beach, nice and quite living, good international schools and not the the street people as in the other coastal towns.
Furthermore this area has a lot "high class" people expats as well Dominicans.
PM me if you need additional info about the area and also about rentals.
Ciao

Reactions: AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So it seems the OP has not even been to dominican republic yet and they are already thinking of raising children here and owning a business. Their dream is to live a simple life in a country where lights, water and electric cuts are as common as seeing sun rising from the east and setting in the west.
I wonder if they speak any spanish to even attempt to communicate with their clients and employees. I wonder if they have any idea on how to operate and maintain inverters, deal with water cuts, dealing with electric companies, getting things fixed here and driving around in streets of a banana republic. I wonder how they would react if they see people jumping red lights at high speed. hahahaha. How would they deal with cops, the shady tigres and the stupid maids.
every electrical items that can break down, will certainly break down here. I wonder how she will deal with claro cell service?
I hope they know what they are getting into. My suggestion would be to forget about asking questions regarding living and owning business here for a while. Just come down and spend your few months here to start with. The rest will become clear with time.
AZB

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
So it seems the OP has not even been to dominican republic yet and they are already thinking of raising children here and owning a business. Their dream is to live a simple life in a country where lights, water and electric cuts are as common as seeing sun rising from the east and setting in the west.
I wonder if they speak any spanish to even attempt to communicate with their clients and employees. I wonder if they have any idea on how to operate and maintain inverters, deal with water cuts, dealing with electric companies, getting things fixed here and driving around in streets of a banana republic. I wonder how they would react if they see people jumping red lights at high speed. hahahaha. How would they deal with cops, the shady tigres and the stupid maids.
every electrical items that can break down, will certainly break down here. I wonder how she will deal with claro cell service?
I hope they know what they are getting into. My suggestion would be to forget about asking questions regarding living and owning business here for a while. Just come down and spend your few months here to start with. The rest will become clear with time.
AZB
As usual you hit it right on the head

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
agree with AZB on coming down first i.e. for the summer break and check out what suits, if any suits.
i disagree with AZB completely about the classy people in Santiago, i prefer some coastal street people over those 'classies'.
30% of the hookers here on our streets come from the Santiago area, at least they say so, and the pos is they are mostly the better looking ones.
the citizens in this country are separated in 'classes' averywhere like it is in other countries, too, there's no difference on such.
Jennie,
you may bring up the rule with 'no date before 32years old' for your daughter,
life experience told me that she most likely will not even ask your permission for her first date.
come over for a 6-8 weeks check-out.
summer break is a good time for such because not bothering your children's school classes at home.
Mike

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
Now that you have seen sosua and coast, why not spend some time in santiago? See it for yourself. Its a whole different country out here.
AZB
I have ben there.I also been to Santo Domingo.Boca Chica, Andres,Confre i,Puerto Plata,Cabarete I just wondering why you said that it the Real Dominican Republic Or that where The Domincan Republic starts.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
lets give the OP a dose of reality, talk about events that she is not thinking of.
Guys peeing in the small town streets are as common as watching stray dog fight. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing better than seeing free dog fights, right in your own local street. The last fight I had seen was in constanza. We threw out food and bones for hungry stray dogs outside. The food and bones were plenty as it was left over from a huge 20 people dinner. Non the less, the big dogs dominated the small dogs and won't let them near the stash. Then all of the sudden, 2 dogs broke into a dispute and soon he fight spilled over to others. The dog gangs collided and we witnessed 5 dogs bite the hell out of each other. The small dog got his ass chewed first. then the brown dog held off the big one for some time before he stuck his tail between his legs and ran away. Finally the 2 medium sized dogs fought till one was Now one gang was left to eat it all, the rest watched from a distance.
What can I say, its a dog eat dog world. I wouldn't interfere in their affairs. We simply watched and walked away laughing.
So some of the best pleasure in life, may come free in DR.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have ben there.I also been to Santo Domingo.Boca Chica, Andres,Confre i,Puerto Plata,Cabarete I just wondering why you said that it the Real Dominican Republic Or that where The Domincan Republic starts.

Don't worry about what I said. if you have to ask this question, then you have not seen much in santiago.
Just enjoy your vacations. its shouldn't matter to you if you don't live here.
AZB

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
AZB
I agree with you on this post.Kind of like putting the Horse before the cart.It seems like she would prefer a smaller city than Santiago.

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
Don't worry about what I said. if you have to ask this question, then you have not seen much in Santiago.
Just enjoy your vacations. its shouldn't matter to you if you don't live here.
AZB
Oh I will be living there the end of the year.Some people on this site act like they have the only opinion that count on this site.Whats good or one may not be good for another.You seem like a very judgmental person.Like knocking the Hookers For most of them its the only way their family eats and it provides a better life for them and their families what would you do if you were in the same situation?

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Well just to make myself clear, again, or if you havent read the entire thread. We are considering moving to the DR. What we are doing now is gathering as much information on as many things as we can. We DO plan on comming down for the summer with the children, if that works out well, and it seems to be a place we would like to spend more time, we will. We plan on renting for 6-12 months before purchasing any property. As for the business, well several people on DR1 suggested opening a salon, as it would be a wise business move, and the area could use one. AZB, you are very correct when you say that I have no idea of what buying, or running a business would be like in the DR. Thats why I research everything I do before I do it. I have absolutely no doubt, I could do it, and do it well. I have opened up 6 businesses, and all are very successful. Would it be harder there, do I have a-lot to learn, of course I do, But could I do it. Yes. As for the statement about my daughter not dating until she was 32?? Are you kidding me, did you actually take that seriously??? I thought that had sarcasm slapped all over it. Maybe it slipped by you on your quick way to write something else cynical. Ill try to be more clear next time. I have raised my family with proper morals, and ethics to be held very strongly in our household. I will continue to do so. My children and I have a very open and honest relationship. Will that continue into their teenage years, again I dont know, I wish I did. If she should fall in love with a Dominican man, which im quite sure she will, as they are quite charming, just like you AZB, and Considering the fact that most males her age are sure to be Dominican if we were to live there, its an almost sure thing. Would I be against it? Not as long as he was a good person, and as Im told there are many, many good people there, and not everyone Im sure is the devil in disguise, as you would like me to believe. Are there bad guys out there?? Of course, as with every other country in the entire world, But her personal relationships in the future are not really the topic of concern here, and I will cross that bridge when it presents itself. Oh, and I have seen quite a few men peeing in the street myself. As a matter of fact my son really enjoys peeing on trees in our backyard. There is much for me to learn, and I take everything into account. I really am very thankful that you are so concerned about my family as well as myself. You bring up things that others have not. So thank you for your insight, you have told me a-lot I didnt know. Gracias. If anything else you have brought some entertainment, and made for a good read. ;)

Jennie

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So thank you for your insight, you have told me a-lot I didnt know. Gracias. If anything else you have brought some entertainment, and made for a good read. ;)

Jennie

I wish you good luck. You will learn everything just the way many others have. You are not the first one moving here, and certainly not the last one. Happy new year.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What we are doing now is gathering as much information on as many things as we can. Jennie

Or maybe what you are doing is a diagnostic assessment of whose advice is focussed on you & your children and whose is not. And that's not a bad move, by the way, because if you can fathom out the expats :cheeky: then you'll probably find most of the locals less prima donna like.

I'm pleased to see you have had some good advice about the children, education & health etc.

On the business side, give yourself at least 6 months of fulltime living here before you begin to look into setting up a business. That way you'll learn how 'competition' is dealt with here & things like that, plus you'll begin to work out business taxation which has become a whole lot more complicated recently.

In any event, it'll take the first 6 months to sort out the normal things of life: phone, internet, schools, help at home if you decide to have it, getting a puppy, which doctor to go to etc etc. Everything takes that much longer here. And it'll likely take 6 months for you not to stress about that too much, too.

Wish you well.

Reactions: AZB

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Or maybe what you are doing is a diagnostic assessment of whose advice is focussed on you & your children and whose is not. And that's not a bad move, by the way, because if you can fathom out the expats :cheeky: then you'll probably find most of the locals less prima donna like.

I'm pleased to see you have had some good advice about the children, education & health etc.

On the business side, give yourself at least 6 months of fulltime living here before you begin to look into setting up a business. That way you'll learn how 'competition' is dealt with here & things like that, plus you'll begin to work out business taxation which has become a whole lot more complicated recently.

In any event, it'll take the first 6 months to sort out the normal things of life: phone, internet, schools, help at home if you decide to have it, getting a puppy, which doctor to go to etc etc. Everything takes that much longer here. And it'll likely take 6 months for you not to stress about that too much, too.

Wish you well.

Thank you, for your information. I never even considered opening a business here, if we were to move I would be trying to slow things down for us. Someone had mentioned that it might be a feasable plan. i dont have nearly even what amounts to a pin head of knowledge about the workings down there, so it wouldnt be something that I attempted to do for at LEAST 2 years. It was a statement made on a whim along with collecting beach shells, and some people reacted as if I were moving down by Friday, and setting up shop. Runaway trains that have veered off course so to speak. I have found some very nice expat's that have provided me with great advice, and somethings to look out for, which has been extremely helpful. I have also heard the negative sides too. This forum and all of the people on it have provided us with a great learning tool, even the prima donna... Well kind of..:)

wendymathews

Mar 27, 2007
Jenniejayne, I don't know much about the area like these old timers but I have been going to sosua for 4 years. I was at first put off by the hookers and the disgusting old fat ugly men who hang on them but now I turn away and it doesn't bother me. i own a house in Sosua and I love it, I rent it out when I am not there. I can walk every where and I have even at night and I am never afraid. There is an international school in sosua and I know several women who's children attend and they are happy with it. Send me a personal messge if you want more information about where I live, I don't think you are allowed to promote places on this site.

Reactions: MikeFisher

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Jenniejayne, I don't know much about the area like these old timers but I have been going to sosua for 4 years. I was at first put off by the hookers and the disgusting old fat ugly men who hang on them but now I turn away and it doesn't bother me. i own a house in Sosua and I love it, I rent it out when I am not there. I can walk every where and I have even at night and I am never afraid. There is an international school in sosua and I know several women who's children attend and they are happy with it. Send me a personal messge if you want more information about where I live, I don't think you are allowed to promote places on this site.

Thanks, I sent you a PM. :)