Where to live.........?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is going to be a trade off

If you need to be near medical attention, then I would say San Jos? de las Matas, or J?nico, just to the South of Santiago inthe Central Mountain range. Both are mountain towns with fairly good connectivity to the major city of Santiago, and good roads to get there.
Then you have El Rubio and Monci?n, much smaller but still with good roads to get there and back.
If you want to get away from it all, go to Juncalito, way back in the mountains, buy you own little diesel generator, equip yourself with satellite dish for computer and TV and you are all set.

Jarabacoa is indeed a great place, one of my favorite towns. two rivers meet just North of the town. There is golf and things to do.

constanza is all to hell and gone away from everything. Over an hour and a half to the highway, and then another 45 minutes to good medical assistance in Santiago. It is, however, the coolest town around. The tap water is COLD! But nothing to do.

Take care and dwell on this.

HB

ObiWan

Feb 24, 2005
Cost of Living in San Jose de Ocoa vs. Jarabacao?

We are a family of four and I saw a 4BR, 2BA house in Jarabacao with generator, on a 1/2 acre of land for $500 a month rent. Some say I can do better in Jarabacoa, a 3BR, 2BA place for about $200.

Is this comparable to San Jose de Ocoa? or will we need to go higher?

Thanks,
Obi

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you drive the road from Jarabacoa to Constanza....it will be obvious that you are going UP. Constanza is much higher.

Obiwan...hook me up with that $200 per month house.

Been to San Jose Costa Rica on several occasions and have to say that this is a very enjoyable city. I love the outdoor plaza through town. It is a very organized city. Nice restaurants. Probably getting pricey these days. People don't stare at you like they do here.

I'm going to road trip to these other cities. I will take some pictures and try to post them for you folks. Trip scheduled for Saturday.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The only time that Jarabacoa is higher than

Constanza is when they are harvesting the "ganja" crop!

Or during Carnival!!

I do not think you will have any luck finding comparable housing in Ocoa, ie., similar to that available in Jarabacoa. Different mind set... All those facilities for $500 a month? Take it....but only after barganing a lot harder.. Maybe down to $450 or $400..///

Good luck

HB :D