Where to Move? Family Friendly City/Areas in DR

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
THanks soooooooooo much. I'm going to have to use this reply as NOTES! As I said before, I LOVE Sosua so that would be my first choice, I didn't realize there was an area free of the 'extra adult activity', but I will take the advice given and probaly spend 6 weeks in a few different areas, getting the 'feel' of the place! Thanks again guys :)

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
We moved down here this summer to Sosua and are really enjoying its culture. My kids attend ISS and we pass through Pedro Clisante everyday conducting business. My kids know what goes on down there they are not dumb so why hide it from them. I enjoy hanging out in Cabarete as well as it has a totally different vibe and feel to it. Before choosing the North Coast we had toured the Punta Cana area but we fell in love with the NC. Most members on here will tell you that having Santiago just a short drive away is great, but to us we could care less. We are from a very remote small town in the states and the only time we go to Santiago is if I have to take an unscheduled flight back to the states. The NC to us provides everything we could possibly need within a short distance. Playero, Janets, Pappaterra all within a 10 min drive for all our supplies and a German Butcher that makes an unbelievable Bratwurst. My $.02

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Sosua has its good points but is void of a real Dominican culture. My Dominican friends tell me they like to go to Caberete sometimes because it is like traveling to a foreign country without having to pay airfare. If the beach life is not a top priority I would definitely visit San Juan de la Maguana- a clean, beautiful little town with everything you need. Much better climate than the NC, very friendly people, 100% Dominican, and close to mountains, rivers, ect ect . K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
First, where are you coming from and do you have any language skills? I live in Las Terrenas so I am always pushing the area. This is a very European community. Many French and Italian expats along with North Americans, Dominicans and Haitians. This is a tourist area but the town is very real world with all the products and services you are looking for. There is also international schools. Check out Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula.

LTSteve

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I live for part of the year in Rio San Juan on the north coast. It's a dominican country fishing/dairy town. Some tourists come during the day for the beautiful Laguna Gris Gris and other than that we have maybe 10 independent tourists staying overnight. There is a significant french presence who live mainly in the hills. There is a local french school.
It is a working dominican town with a an open sided dance hall, a number of central drinking spots, a central park, 4 tourist restaurants and lots of dominican restaurants/cafes plus 4 beaches in town. You will experience domincan life and it is very safe.

Hannah Wiley

Jan 9, 2013
Mika,

Thanks for your response. I've been traveling around the country several times a year for the past decade, with trips ranging from a quick weekend to several weeks, but I am not an expat. Chiri, Tambo', Hillbilly, Robert, Criss Colon, Windeguy, dv8, and a number of others are, so I'd try and build an online rapport with them, they give great advice.

The number of beach communities from Costambar-Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete-Rio San Juan-Cabrera make up the "North Coast" or "North Coast Complex." You should think of the Complex as more or less one very large community, as people are constantly going back and forth. There's a lot of variety (Puerto Plata is the third largest town in the country, while Cabarete is almost exclusively geared towards beach surfer tourism.

A lot of people in the North Coast like Sosua, because (once you get away from the sex tourism stuff on Pedro Clisante) it's actually a neat little town that has more or less everything you need. Properties for rent are readily available, and of course the International School is right there. There are other areas of town, but the "real" Sosua community is mainly focused in Los Charamicos about five minutes from the more infamous area.

The adult stuff happens in an area called El Batey, although local authorities and business owners have been pushing to make the trade much more discreet, probably in anticipation of the new cruise line port being built in the Puerto Plata area. I'd steer clear on weekends after 8 p.m., but other than that, it's pretty quiet.

Cabarete has a beautiful beach, but it's a bit rough for young swimmers, and after that, there's not much to do. However, it IS centrally located in the Complex, and has very nice condo properties available. They can be a bit expensive, though.

Cabrera is positively charming, and is quiet and peaceful, but is a ways from the "action." Also, you're an hour from the airport, but if that's not an issue, I'd certainly check it out. Castellamonte is a poster on this site, and runs a business out there, so you should try to get in touch.

In the central valley (Cibao), lies Santiago, my favorite DR city. No beaches, but great spring-like weather year-round. It's the regional capital, so tons of interesting stuff going on at all times. It is NOT geared for tourism, so you would have to work on your Spanish skills. But it's a totally enriching experience, and you'll meet a wide variety of Dominicans. The expats there are more or less fully immersed in the culture, so while you may have challenges attracting people to a school, you'll likely do well with a summer program focusing on expat locals.

Jarabacoa is where well-to-do folks from Santo Domingo go on the weekends. It's very eco-touristy, much like Costa Rica. Slow pace of life, highly affordable, but not much infrastructure compared to the options above. Those who go love it, and it would be ideal to focus some of the activities for your retreat up there.

Las Terrenas probably has the most diverse expat community outside of Santo Domingo and the North Coast. Lots of French and EU folks there, although more NA expats are constantly arriving. It's one of the most beautiful areas on the island IMHO, and has a nice blend of locals, tourists, and expats.

That was extremely helpful (for lurkers like me). Thank you!!!

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We agree with Les1. We too are in Rio San Juan and it is a wonderful village.

Jo

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Punta Cana Village - not exactly the "real" DR but a Dominican community with some expats and some mixed families, where everything is clean, peaceful and safe, and within walking distance!

HOME

I so agree that is where I spend winter great quiet and an International school. medical clinics etc!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I live for part of the year in Rio San Juan on the north coast. It's a dominican country fishing/dairy town. Some tourists come during the day for the beautiful Laguna Gris Gris and other than that we have maybe 10 independent tourists staying overnight. There is a significant french presence who live mainly in the hills. There is a local french school.
It is a working dominican town with a an open sided dance hall, a number of central drinking spots, a central park, 4 tourist restaurants and lots of dominican restaurants/cafes plus 4 beaches in town. You will experience domincan life and it is very safe.

RSJ and Cabrera are polar opposites of Sosua/Cabarete....... you need to decide on your lifestyle.

Cabrera has no beaches in town to speak of..... but many nearby.

Other than weekends, the nights are quite quiet.... actually, the days are too

Restaurant selection is mediocre at best..... a couple of bright spots, sometimes.
Consistency is hard to find.

Having said that - we all love it here. We don't mind the 1 hr drive to Playero .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Home Is Wherever You "Hang-Your-Sombrero"!
Some people are unhappy wherever they are, some are not!
For a small island in the "Sea", the DR has varied topography,climate,culture, and lifestyle.
There IS, "Something For Everyone" here.
I live in Santo Domingo.
Not my first choice, but I worked here for 10 years, and stayed.
For us, it is a good place to raise our "kids".
Good schools/Univ. available, Zoo, aquarium,"Gardin Botanico", museums, sports, concerts,"Big Box' stores.
All Government offices.
BUT, TOO MUCH traffic, pollution/garbage,crime,noise,and,"Urbanity"
I would prefer a small beach town.
To Each Their own!
As long as we have "LaFamilia" together, we are very happy wherever we live!
You will be TOO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC