Where will the US dollar be going?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
While there are multiple reasons countries do not dollarize....the two main reasons are both political;

1, Pride of having ones own currency; and
2. Being able to print more at a moments notice....and thus strengthen/weaken exports/imports/tourism, etc....as pointed out above by Panfilodevaca.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Just like the Fed then......

Jan 9, 2004
No, it did not. It started trading at $1.1685.

You are correct.

The Euro was to begin trading at 1:1 against the dollar and on that day, much like a hot and in demand IPO priced at 1....the Euro opened substantially higher.

This was the first day that Francs/Lira/D-marks could be converted and there was overwhelming initial demand such that the new Euro opened well above parity with the dollar....but that was short lived as the Euro dropped to .82 USD within a two year period...then in about 2002 it began a run against the dollar until it reached 160 +/- during the financial crisis....and the air has slowly been coming out of the Euro ever since.

The chart of the peso on the other hand, with the exception of IMF intervention during the baninter banking crisis, represents a down hill ski slope as to its value against both the Euro and the USD.....but nowhere near as bad some of the currency runs in Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If they went to the dollar, they couldn't print their own money.
Distributed evenly of course!

One for me, one for the people.
Two for me, one for the people.
(After all, the people will then have two also, in D.R. logic)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Loonie for the US dollar to rise?

I cannot imagine a Canadian that is not in business selling goods to the US who would want to see his currency fall. Let alone one who lives in Canada the large majority of time each year.

The Loonie (and the Euro) dropping like a stone in the bay of Cabarete will cause property values in to fall in the DR because of the lower buying power of the Loonie and Euro. Less demand for properties.
Far more Canadians and Europeans and far fewer Americans are interested in property in the DR. This negates any perceived benefit on a small investment in a Dominican property for a Canadian (who is not even selling) when the Loonie drops versus the USD, since the Canadian seller has to sell at a good price and will not be able to because of overall reduced demand..
To think otherwise is Loonie or naive.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I cannot imagine a Canadian that is not in business selling goods to the US who would want to see his currency fall. Let alone one who lives in Canada the large majority of time each year.

The Loonie (and the Euro) dropping like a stone in the bay of Cabarete will cause property values in to fall in the DR because of the lower buying power of the Loonie and Euro. Less demand for properties.
Far more Canadians and Europeans and far fewer Americans are interested in property in the DR. This negates any perceived benefit on a small investment in a Dominican property for a Canadian (who is not even selling) when the Loonie drops versus the USD, since the Canadian seller has to sell at a good price and will not be able to because of overall reduced demand..
To think otherwise is Loonie or naive.

Also the fallout of there currencies will affect tourism as a whole this coming winter.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Presipi$$ for Breakfast

Also the fallout of there currencies will affect tourism as a whole this coming winter.

Not much.
The wealthy will always have enough money to go on holidays.
(But may go to the Bahamas instead... :lick: )

The cheapies will be lured by cheap AI's and then complain about not getting bottled Presidente and lobster for breakfast... :tired:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not much.
The wealthy will always have enough money to go on holidays.
(But may go to the Bahamas instead... :lick: )

The cheapies will be lured by cheap AI's and then complain about not getting bottled Presidente and lobster for breakfast... :tired:

donP

With respect to the North Coast it has long been a bargain place to visit. So it does have a dramatic effect here on tourism. People who have lived here for 20 years say this is the worst year they have seen. Depreciating Loonie and Euro will not improve tourism for the budget traveler here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Article in "Diario Libre" today about 2,000 hotel rooms taken off the market in Juan Dolio in the last year!!!!

Guess Pichardo missed it!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do you not understand the advantage? It isn't rocket scince. It could be any asset really. A Canadian owning teal estate anywhere that sells in US dollars, benefits after the US dollar climbs and then sells his or her investment and brings the money back to Canada. Just like it would be a hit if the Canadian dollar was way higher than the American dollar. The only small thing it affects, is not getting the same pesos for the loonie as a yank buck. Also, if not flying direct, the Canuck will have to pay 27 % more for his meal at the US airport. Small issues compared to a home sale. Naievity has nothing to do wih it.
I will not be buying more cars, boats, or atv's from the states like I have in the past because it makes no sense to now.

I obviously understand the big picture more than you. The issue you ignore is that you think you will get back more. You ASSUME that your property will either be at the same value or greater than when you purchased it in US dollars.
But the buying power of the clients from Canada and the EU is going down and there may be ZERO interest until the price drops to what the market will bear. There is no guarantee that you will sell for more than you paid even considering the FOREX benefit.

I see this happening right now for a much nicer house just one street from your location. ZERO interest after the price has dropped under what they paid to build it.
Immaculate condition with not one offer for years.

Last edited: