Who is the authorized Importer for Chevrolet in the DR?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sweetie, you're not paying attention. The dealer is the one that charges ridiculous prices for oil changes.

There's a place in front of my house (one of the 10 minute oil change places) that will do it for around a thousand pesos. (depending on how much oil your engine needs)

Sorry JD, I should have realized that. :surprised Dealers are a big ripoff everywhere.

I paid a little over $100 for a Mobil 1 oil change in NJ, so was happy to pay 3500 pesos for the same thing in SD. Of course, in NJ it included topping off of all fluids and checking tire pressure, etc.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Well, I wired the coinage to my BPD account and will be buying the Car in about a week in Punta Cana area. Also bought "the Club" the new one with the encrypted keys, and a car cover for a mid size SUV... Deal includes two years of car insurance and one year free maintenance. After 5 years it will pay for itself VS Rentals...

Jan 9, 2004
Well, I wired the coinage to my BPD account and will be buying the Car in about a week in Punta Cana area. Also bought "the Club" the new one with the encrypted keys, and a car cover for a mid size SUV... Deal includes two years of car insurance and one year free maintenance. After 5 years it will pay for itself VS Rentals...

Congratulations!

Two further suggestions for you:

1. Make sure your car is fully insured (value) and that you have the casa de conductor and glass option;
2. Do not rely on "The Club" for anything but a visual deterrent. I will not post how, but the "The Club" can be defeated with one tool in 15 seconds or less....no matter what key you have.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Chassis lubrication is not a common practice. You can make it happen if you insist. In some cases I've had to insist and instruct. The next time you are on foot near a corner, listen to the sounds many vehicles make as they corner---creak, squeak, creak...

Sorry JD, I should have realized that. :surprised Dealers are a big ripoff everywhere.

I paid a little over $100 for a Mobil 1 oil change in NJ, so was happy to pay 3500 pesos for the same thing in SD. Of course, in NJ it included topping off of all fluids and checking tire pressure, etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

and after about one trip , it will pay for itself in satisfaction !:bunny:

living here 6 montha a year, as you do - in a place you own and driving a rented car just don't fit together in my mind.

Car ownership after house ownership is a logical step....
The financial issue is a no brainer....
the fact that you have 'bought in' to your second country weighs equally... not the financial buy in....

I think you'll be happy and hope you will be.

Congratulations

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I can't remember how much I pay for oil changes, but they definitely check and top up everything.

any time my hood goes up, heads appear peering in.

one time - a fellow pointed to my brake fluid - low, it was.

topped up free and a few peso tip and I have friend for life.

The local mechanics are good.... at what they do.... none is a Jack of All Trades.
You need to hunt the right ones down

Heavy lifting and dirty work is one guy -- electrics = another guy --- and so on

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

good for you and i hope you will enjoy using it! drive safely :)

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
2. Do not rely on "The Club" for anything but a visual deterrent. I will not post how, but the "The Club" can be defeated with one tool in 15 seconds or less....no matter what key you have.

Or get The Club that has the whole steering wheel cover, including the sides. That one tool is a small hand hacksaw, and the better version of The Club will help protect you from that too. Still not foolproof, but it's much less than replacing your car.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i saw my mechanic disable the club in less than 15 seconds too. false sense of safety.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go on the Internet to watch "Anti Theft" devices being disabled in seconds.
There are several videos showing those digital hotel room safes being opened with every article you can imagine, including a raw potato, even your hand with a "Karate Chop"!
I bet I can make a fortune teaching "Hookers" here to do that!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I believe there is a "CASA" in Santiago as well??????
If you EVER drive in either city, the small charge is better than 15 minutes in a DR Jail, let alone overnight!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Forget the club...make sure you put in a multi-lock system in your car.

AE: I think you're still overpaying for oil change. Change with Semi-synthetic oil (6 quartz) cost me less than 2k pesos. Regular, run of the mill oil should be around 1k pesos or less.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Forget the club...make sure you put in a multi-lock system in your car.

AE: I think you're still overpaying for oil change. Change with Semi-synthetic oil (6 quartz) cost me less than 2k pesos. Regular, run of the mill oil should be around 1k pesos or less.

You could be right - but we wanted Mobil 1, which is fully synthetic, isn't it? I actually expected it to cost more in DR than in NJ, but it was less. And not a gringo price, remember Mr. AE is Dominican.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You may NOT have gotten what you paid for!
This IS The DR!!!
That's why the open the "Brugal at your table in the Discos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You may NOT have gotten what you paid for!
This IS The DR!!!
That's why the open the "Brugal at your table in the Discos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tom, I'm an Italian born and raised in NYC - I trust NO ONE. Before Mr. AE got out of the car, I reminded him to stand there and watch the guy to make sure he changed the oil filter, and check the bottles of Mobil 1 too. He's almost as suspicious as I am, almost. He humors me, lol.